Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Adamski Portfolio Update

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Adamski Portfolio Update

Postby Adamski » November 1st, 2021, 1:51 pm

Hi All, Current portfolio as follows:

Vanguard LifeStrategy 60% - 32%
Capital Gearing Trust - 26%
Vanguard World VWRL - 21%
Fidelity Special Values - 5%
Baillie Gifford Pacific - 5%
Fidelity China - 4%
Personal Assets Trust - 4%
Monks IT - 3%
Aegon Diversified Monthly - 1%

Total 100%

Return YTD 10 months - 13.4%
Benchmark - 12.0%

Positive variance - 1.4%

Benchmark - return on Vanguard LifeStrategy 80 less platform custody charges

The return YTD is higher than the benchmark due to positive returns from 'value' funds FSV and AVI Global Trust (sold). Hits taken on 'growth' funds - Monks and BG China (sold); corrections in tech early March and early May. Probably too much churn; going to try to switch investments less.

VLS60, CGT and PNL are there for stability and lower volatility. I like Aegon diversified monthly distribution to pay for custody charges.

Current portfolio - weighting 70% Equities. Started the year with 28% growth funds, now reduced down to got 12%. Increased defensive holdings as reached target for the year >10% and worries over inflation.

I've been stock market investing 3 years. Welcome comments on my holdings. Would benefit from holding gold. Is the mix ok? Thanks

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Adamski Portfolio Update

Postby Dod101 » November 1st, 2021, 2:36 pm

Adamski wrote:Hi All, Current portfolio as follows:

Baillie Gifford Pacific - 5%
Fidelity China - 4%
Monks IT - 3%

Total 100%

Benchmark - 12.0%

Positive variance - 1.4%

The return YTD is higher than the benchmark due to positive returns from 'value' funds FSV and AVI Global Trust (sold). Hits taken on 'growth' funds - Monks and BG China (sold); corrections in tech early March and early May. Probably too much churn; going to try to switch investments less.

VLS60, CGT and PNL are there for stability and lower volatility. I like Aegon diversified monthly distribution to pay for custody charges.

Current portfolio - weighting 70% Equities. Started the year with 28% growth funds, now reduced down to got 12%. Increased defensive holdings as reached target for the year >10% and worries over inflation.

I've been stock market investing 3 years. Welcome comments on my holdings. Would benefit from holding gold. Is the mix ok? Thanks

I think with respect (not trying to tell you what to do) that you should resolve to do nothing for the next twelve months and review matters then. You have a decent spread but portfolios take time to mature. I still hold BG China although currently it is underwater. I bought it about twelve months ago and will judge it in about four years from now.. As always your portfolio depends on what you want from it, what timescale you are looking at and so on. It looks good for a widow or orphan but to build capital I am not so sure.

Dod

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 1st, 2021, 7:31 pm

Dod101 wrote:I think with respect (not trying to tell you what to do) that you should resolve to do nothing for the next twelve months and review matters then. You have a decent spread but portfolios take time to mature. I still hold BG China although currently it is underwater. I bought it about twelve months ago and will judge it in about four years from now.. As always your portfolio depends on what you want from it, what timescale you are looking at and so on. It looks good for a widow or orphan but to build capital I am not so sure.

Thanks for comments. From memory you hold more growth orientated investment trusts?

I'm increasingly going defensive as I don't like losing money so looking to preserve value against inflation, and grow modestly whilst accepting lower returns.

With s&p500 being up 39% in past 12 months, can't see this market as sustainable.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » November 2nd, 2021, 12:08 am

Adamski wrote:
Benchmark - 12.0%

Adamski

I think your benchmark is off, and too optimistic.

Figures from Trustnet on annualized performance of Vanguard LifeStrategy 80 are:
5 years annualized: 9.0%
10 years annualized: 10.3%
To date annualized: 9.8% (10years and a few months, in fact)
Morningstar have the same

torata

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » November 2nd, 2021, 10:54 am

I like the efficiency of the top 3.
79% and you have a huge spread of assets, active, passive, some re-balancing.
You could easily be done there.
Efficency of the micro-holding in a monthly payer has some artistry about it if you go full accumulation and dividend reinvestment on the big 3.

The 'tilts' sit a little more awkwardly in this context.
How far does the small Monks holding inch you away from vwrl for the added scruffiness?
Same with PNL and CGT.

I like the 'style' of it. I also have my biggest holdings in 'mixed' vehicles.
I think this just makes me aware that I haven't got mine quite right yet.

W.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 2nd, 2021, 5:28 pm

torata wrote:..Figures from Trustnet on annualized performance of Vanguard LifeStrategy 80 are:

Hi Torata, I make it a more than that. From Morningstar, YTD return to 1/11/21 VLS 80% 12.75% - yesterday went up 0.5% - platform service fee 0.25% = 12.0%. Which is higher than 3,5 and 10 year annualised return, showing that had a good run this year.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » November 3rd, 2021, 12:16 am

Adamski wrote:
torata wrote:..Figures from Trustnet on annualized performance of Vanguard LifeStrategy 80 are:

Hi Torata, I make it a more than that. From Morningstar, YTD return to 1/11/21 VLS 80% 12.75% - yesterday went up 0.5% - platform service fee 0.25% = 12.0%. Which is higher than 3,5 and 10 year annualised return, showing that had a good run this year.

Ah, OK, I see. I missed that you are benchmarking on a year-by-year basis. That was a bad assumption by me as I only benchmark over an 'annualized to date' figure.
(For clarity, the 'to date annualized' of 9.8% for LS80 I mentioned is since the fund began, not YTD.)

Your response though has prompted me to look at my accounts. The YTD return of my SIPP, which is closest in nature to your portfolio, is 23% (Great! but actually not as good as some of my other portfolios), but annualized to date is 9.7%, which is good, but basically the same as LS80 over time.

So if there's a message in my post, it's that it's good to benchmark over the long term as well :)

torata

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » March 23rd, 2022, 10:34 am

Hi Guys, current portfolio as follows:

Baillie Gifford Pacific - sold
Fidelity China - sold
Monks IT - sold

Sold the Baillie gifford funds, not adding anything except volatility, now holding extra cash. Circa 60% equities now, return ytd circa -4%

Plan is transitioning to simple wealth preservation portfolio of 3-4 holdings. Cheers

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”