Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

reducing portfolio to fund a property

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: reducing portfolio to fund a property

Postby dealtn » March 6th, 2022, 8:49 am

tjh290633 wrote:What you said was:

dealtn wrote:To start with I wouldn't apply a harsh filter that has nothing to do with shareholder return, such as earnings, or return on capital, or cashflow, but instead was a non-return based one such as dividend yield.

That to me read that you would not apply a filter based on earnings, ROC or cash flow.

Then you said
dealtn wrote:Now if your definition of "yield" wasn't a dividend yield, but was an earnings yield, or a return on capital yield, I would see merit. But I know that isn't what you meant.

You didn't actually propose a method.

Your suggestion is that dividends are not part of shareholder return, when they are an essential part of total return.

TJH

Where have I ever said, on any thread, that dividends aren't part of total return? An absolute falsehood. Dividends are an essential part of total return. The clue is surely in the meaning of the word "total".

My argument is, and remains, that using dividends as the sole criteria for selection for a total returns strategy is bizarre.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 6th, 2022, 10:54 am

dealtn wrote:Where have I ever said, on any thread, that dividends aren't part of total return? An absolute falsehood. Dividends are an essential part of total return. The clue is surely in the meaning of the word "total".

Here:
dealtn wrote:a non-return based one such as dividend yield.

You contradict yourself.

TJH

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 6th, 2022, 11:07 am

tjh290633 wrote:
dealtn wrote:Where have I ever said, on any thread, that dividends aren't part of total return? An absolute falsehood. Dividends are an essential part of total return. The clue is surely in the meaning of the word "total".

Here:
dealtn wrote:a non-return based one such as dividend yield.

You contradict yourself.

TJH

Well that is down to a poorly written sentence - one you previously had difficulty deciphering, so the fault is likely mine. But even so it doesn't mean that dividends aren't a part of total return. It refers to dividend yield not dividends.

So let me re-write it.

"To start with I wouldn't apply a harsh filter that has little to do with shareholder total return, unlike ones such as earnings, or return on capital, or cashflow, and instead use a non-total return based one such as dividend yield."
Last edited by dealtn on March 6th, 2022, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 6th, 2022, 11:09 am

OK, we've had our say and let that be the end of it.

TJH

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”