Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Metal price information

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Metal price information

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 25th, 2021, 5:44 am

Morning folks,

Apologies if this question has already been asked. I was wondering where people go online for quick references for the current metal prices. In particular Copper, Gold, Lithium, Lead, Zinc etc. Is it a case of googling for each one, or is there a good single website with pricing for all the commonly bought and sold metals?

thanks Matt

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: Metal price information

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 25th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Ok so I've found various sites with metal commodity prices for example:

from https://markets.businessinsider.com/com ... pper-price

but can someone help me out regards some of the numbers displayed? So 3.99 is displayed, as is 9016.50. Whereas I know from googling that (I think!) the Cu price currently is about $9000/ton. But what is the significance of the 3.99 value? I *think* that it could be related to a contract which can be exchanged, since in another google I found this:

from https://uk.tradingview.com/symbols/FX-COPPER/

Can anyone here, explain the significance of the two, quite different, numbers which I've found?

thanks Matt

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » March 25th, 2021, 11:48 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:Ok so I've found various sites with metal commodity prices for example:

from https://markets.businessinsider.com/com ... pper-price

but can someone help me out regards some of the numbers displayed? So 3.99 is displayed, as is 9016.50. Whereas I know from googling that (I think!) the Cu price currently is about $9000/ton. But what is the significance of the 3.99 value? I *think* that it could be related to a contract which can be exchanged, since in another google I found this:

from https://uk.tradingview.com/symbols/FX-COPPER/

Can anyone here, explain the significance of the two, quite different, numbers which I've found?

thanks Matt

Isn't it the Cu price in $/lb which is shown here on the Kitco chart ?

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/Copper.html

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 26th, 2021, 8:20 am

Thanks SteMis, I suspect the 3.99-4 ish is $/lb and the 9000ish is $/metric TON.

Matt

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » March 26th, 2021, 9:19 am

TMB,

For precious metals data I rather like 'BullionByPost'.
They are dealer based in Birmingham and the 'charts' section of the website has historic charts for the usual suspects (adjustable for currency) and most interestingly, historic ratios between the same.
If you are not especially bothered about which you hold, the price swings between each could yield considerable advantage if played strategically.
I shall assume you are looking to hold 'paper', not physical.

In the interests of full disclosure I haven't really done any of the above, though the Mrs did snag some palladium trinkets several years ago on the advice of a jeweller in the jewellery quarter at a very strategically favourable time!

W.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 28th, 2021, 10:23 am

Wuffle wrote:TMB,

For precious metals data I rather like 'BullionByPost'.
They are dealer based in Birmingham and the 'charts' section of the website has historic charts for the usual suspects (adjustable for currency) and most interestingly, historic ratios between the same.
If you are not especially bothered about which you hold, the price swings between each could yield considerable advantage if played strategically.
I shall assume you are looking to hold 'paper', not physical.

In the interests of full disclosure I haven't really done any of the above, though the Mrs did snag some palladium trinkets several years ago on the advice of a jeweller in the jewellery quarter at a very strategically favourable time!

W.

Hi Wuffle,

TBH I'm interested in determining which miners' shares I want to top up. Basically by trying to apply technical analysis and speculation into prices of commodities e.g.

Cu, Pb, Zn for LON:CAML
Au, Ag, Cu for LON:POLY
Li for NYSE:ALB

thanks for your reference :)

Matt

Return to “Mining & Metals”