Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

"The BBC Travel website will soon be closing down"

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

"The BBC Travel website will soon be closing down"

Postby Satsuma » January 25th, 2017, 10:20 am

"Today, we’re announcing that we will be closing the BBC Travel website in February 2017.
We know how important regular and up-to-date reports on road, rail and other modes of transport incidents are for the UK audience. We have therefore been working on incorporating this information within the Local News offering online. You will be able to find all the latest severe travel incidents on our local live services and on news stories which feature travel disruption. We also hope to feed travel updates into the personalised news services we are developing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/68182816-070d-4600-9835-e83a4fadc13d

This is very disappointing. BBC Travel is by far (for me) the best local traffic news site. I find it much more accurate and timely than RAC or AA.
Hopefully the local BBC radio will still carry traffic bulletins though.

I guess I can understand why the BBC has decided this - they are a broadcaster not a travel site, but still...

Sats

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: "The BBC Travel website will soon be closing down"

Postby bungeejumper » January 25th, 2017, 10:39 am

I guess I can understand why the BBC has decided this - they are a broadcaster not a travel site, but still...

Damn that public service remit. :| What idiot ever thought it would be a good idea?

BJ

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » January 25th, 2017, 10:45 am

Unfortunately this mainly appealed to a male audience and, like most TV nowadays, the emergence of a dominant female influence within the BBC has scuppered this.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 25th, 2017, 11:20 am

Stonge wrote:Unfortunately this mainly appealed to a male audience

Got a reference to that assertion?

Scott.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » January 25th, 2017, 11:30 am

Stonge wrote:Unfortunately this mainly appealed to a male audience and, like most TV nowadays, the emergence of a dominant female influence within the BBC has scuppered this.

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm a female - are you saying my own "dominant influence" of liking and using the site is what caused it to be shut down? I didn't realise I was quite so powerful! :o

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » January 25th, 2017, 4:51 pm

I'm with Satsuma - I had no idea that my (female) opinions influenced the BBC - I wish they did!
I also regret the news of the travel site demise and my gender has nothing to do with it - just found it useful!

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 25th, 2017, 5:34 pm

I suspect its more the advent of live traffic services in satnavs and phones makes the viewing figures drop off significantly enough to question the expense vs viewing figures.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » January 25th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Another nail in the coffin of great public broadcasting. I suspect it's more to do money though. Recent years have seen the BBC having to pay for the World Service, having to cough up for social care policies (free licences to old people) and there's been no increase in the licence fee for a few years now.

We said we would continue to offer travel news online as part of BBC News, but would close the Travel site and halt development of the Travel app as part of a plan to help save £15m.

Since successive governments have screwed the Beeb over then it's no surprise really. We as a nation won't be happy until the right wing press have got their way and we have no choice to use their paid for platforms.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » January 25th, 2017, 7:06 pm

It's not just the Travel Website. Look what's happened to Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) and Dr Who, twaddle.

And ridiculous 'dramas' like Broadchurch where nothing ever happens, there's no dialogue, weird noises instead of music and all the characters walk around looking like they've got constipation.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 25th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Stonge wrote:It's not just the Travel Website. Look what's happened to Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) and Dr Who, twaddle.

And ridiculous 'dramas' like Broadchurch where nothing ever happens, there's no dialogue, weird noises instead of music and all the characters walk around looking like they've got constipation.

Isn't Broadchurch on ITV?

Slarti

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 25th, 2017, 10:35 pm

A few end up funded by bbc America which must make a decent advertising revenue to cover the bill

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 26th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Slarti wrote:Isn't Broadchurch on ITV?

Me mind's made up, don't confuse me with facts! ;)

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » January 26th, 2017, 10:18 pm

I believe ITV broadcasts TV programmes.

Maybe not...

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » January 27th, 2017, 7:18 am

Stonge wrote:I believe ITV broadcasts TV programmes.

Well, forgive us for being confused, but you are the one who brought up the whole TV channel thing with your quite bizarre and totally unsubstantiated comment about alleged female dominance, specifically within the Beeb:

Stonge wrote:Unfortunately this mainly appealed to a male audience and, like most TV nowadays, the emergence of a dominant female influence within the BBC has scuppered this.

Stonge wrote:It's not just the Travel Website. Look what's happened to Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock) and Dr Who, twaddle. And ridiculous 'dramas' like Broadchurch

...before specifically listing Broadchurch, which is an ITV programme. To be clear, are you saying my amazing scuppering powers reach commercial television too? If so, I am definitely going to get a logo made for my cape.

Awaiting your clarification
ScupperGirl (formerly known as Sats)

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » January 27th, 2017, 10:26 am

Yes

And TBH I'm full of admiration for the success of your gender over the last 50 years (apart from the TV 'dramas' - sentimental drivel mostly, radio dramas have always been a bit weird and don't really count).

What went wrong with Hilary? You let us (the human race) down there, supergirl.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 27th, 2017, 10:48 am

Planet earth calling Stonge, we are losing contact. Please confirm position. Over.

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”