Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous,Rhyd6,dredd0, for Donating to support the site

MoT and what to do for now

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3165
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 952 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#310709

Postby swill453 » May 21st, 2020, 4:19 pm

MonsterMork wrote:
vrdiver wrote:I have a vehicle, first registered 28th March 2017.

It was due to go for a service and MOT, but my chosen garage closed before this was done. As I understand it, the MOT extension is for vehicles needing an MOT on or after 30th March, so I assume I am currently "out of MOT" and the only trip I can legally make is to drive to a pre-booked MOT test?

(The vehicle is currently taxed and insured.)

Correct, only driving to (and from, assuming no "dangerous" fails) a pre-booked MoT is acceptable.

You can also drive it separately for repairs, though I'd hope that wouldn't be necessary for a 3 year old car :-)

Scott.

Alaric
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4131
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:05 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 840 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#310717

Postby Alaric » May 21st, 2020, 4:29 pm

I have a car now over five years old which was due for its annual service and MoT at the end of April. The local garage has now reopened. I'm thinking of getting just the annual service done, given that the expiry date of the MoT is towards the end of October. Even in normal years, the mileage isn't enough to require six monthly servicing, so moving the MoT to October would mean future inspections of some degree every six months.

tea42
Lemon Slice
Posts: 417
Joined: March 9th, 2017, 8:28 am
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#310764

Postby tea42 » May 21st, 2020, 6:45 pm

MonsterMork wrote:
tea42 wrote:My VW T25 Devon Camper was first registered on 23rd April 1980. Its MOT expires on June 1st. Therefore it can be MOT less until January 1st 2021. Its SORN at present so I intend to tax it for the Summer if travel restrictions are lifted and SORN it again at the end of October until April 23rd 2021 and then register it as a Historic Vehicle with a VED of £0.

I think I have got that correct?


Almost right. Your 6 month MoT extension will expire 1st December, and not 1st January. You can register as a historic vehicle today should you so wish, as it is now over 40 years old - waiting until 23 April 2021 would make it 41 years old.

Even though a vehicle may become exempt from MoT rules I would strongly advise getting one anyway. The onus of the law changes to point the finger of blame at the driver in the event of an incident involving an exempt vehicle - the rule of a vehicle being required to be in a roadworthy condition applies with or without an MoT, however most owners of exempt vehicles are unlikely to be able to state with some element of professional opinion as to the condition of a vehicle. Getting an MoT shows that an exempt vehicle has been properly assessed at some stage in its life, a handy little get out of jail free card to hold up ones sleeve.


The DVLC have a nasty little trick, my T25 would have to be registered before 23rd January 2020 to enable it to become a historic vehicle this year, its nonsensical. So, I will aproach DVLA after 23rd January 2021 for that. I have a VW build date certificate dating the build date as 5th April 1980. The van has been off the road since May 14th last year and I got a local VW Camper specialist to go over it with a fine toothcomb last Autumn. He found several areas needed welding and did the lot. He is confident it will sail through a test. He also replaced the carbs with a Weber which has cured tickover and flat spot problems. If he gets back to work anytime soon I will ask him to put it through the MOT. As you say you risk prosecution if the poor state of a historic vehicle can be proved to be the cause of an accident.

MonsterMork
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 144
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 3:18 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#310779

Postby MonsterMork » May 21st, 2020, 8:07 pm

You can also drive it separately for repairs, though I'd hope that wouldn't be necessary for a 3 year old car :-)

Scott.


Wanna bet? Seen some right shockers at their first test, indeed DVSA's own numbers show that some 17% of vehicles fail their first MoT at three years old, rising to 19% at four years and second test.

MM

DrFfybes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 656
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#310800

Postby DrFfybes » May 21st, 2020, 10:10 pm

Alaric wrote:I have a car now over five years old which was due for its annual service and MoT at the end of April. The local garage has now reopened. I'm thinking of getting just the annual service done, given that the expiry date of the MoT is towards the end of October. Even in normal years, the mileage isn't enough to require six monthly servicing, so moving the MoT to October would mean future inspections of some degree every six months.


I always used to do this for exactly the same reason, especially important when we were putting 12k per annnum on 10-15 yrar old cars. However now having cars that are in storage for the winter months and doing a lot less mileage means 2 of them tend to be serviced and MOT'd every 3-4000 miles at most.

For some reason when I moved the Toyota missed a service (probably as it was doing 120 miles per week less) so the service got stretched to the next MOT time. I shall try and remedy that when I move again (hopefully next month).

Paul

chas49
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1039
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:25 am
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#310859

Postby chas49 » May 22nd, 2020, 8:25 am

Speculation that the extension scheme could be curtailed:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish ... now/193208

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3165
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 952 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#310863

Postby swill453 » May 22nd, 2020, 8:37 am

chas49 wrote:Speculation that the extension scheme could be curtailed:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish ... now/193208

If they don't let it run for a full year then there'll be a chunk of the calendar when hardly any MOTs fall due.

Scott.

chas49
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1039
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:25 am
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#310867

Postby chas49 » May 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am

swill453 wrote:
chas49 wrote:Speculation that the extension scheme could be curtailed:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish ... now/193208

If they don't let it run for a full year then there'll be a chunk of the calendar when hardly any MOTs fall due.

Scott.


And conversely (potentially) a chunk when too many will fall due.

The safety argument has some merit but it is being put forward by people who need the income so it's not necessarily unbiased.

DrFfybes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 656
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: MoT and what to do for now

#311158

Postby DrFfybes » May 22nd, 2020, 6:07 pm

I thought about the surge/dip in demand, so have 2 of ours booked in for the first week of June.

As we're (hopefully) moving house that week at least it will be something less to worry about shifting.

Paul


Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests