Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

MOT Tests at 4 years

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: MOT Tests at 4 years

Postby MonsterMork » February 16th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Yes, quite correct, 4 +1 - note to self: proof read posts once recovered from indignant spluttering! :D

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 16th, 2017, 7:27 pm

MonsterMork wrote:Yes, quite correct, 4 +1 - note to self: proof read posts once recovered from indignant spluttering! :D

I made a similar mistake earlier in the thread by saying "at least every 4 years" knowing full well what I meant to have said!

Anyway, I don't think libel laws stop you venting your spleen so fire away (on a no names basis obviously) ...

k333
2 Lemon pips

Postby k333 » February 17th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Talking of MOTs, someone contacted Honest John asking whether an MOT done in 35 mins was possible. HJ replied with the explanation that it was fair enough given what they could charge and labour costs of £100 per hour and more. The reply didn't make much sense - a garage can still make a profit on the MOT overall, but not so much as on standard repair work, which comes from offering MOTs among other things. And anyway, doing the MOT properly must have a certain minimum time even if everything goes well.

Anyway MM, what's your take on this? Can you do one in 35 mins, and if so how often? I suspect the world record of a pass with 35 advisories must have taken forever!

- K

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » February 17th, 2017, 11:22 pm

MM, what's your take on this? Can you do one in 35 mins,

Can be done, my boss takes about that for one. Personally I take about 45 minutes, but then my gaffer has been doing tests for 20 years as opposed to my 18 months.

a pass with 35 advisories must have taken forever!

Not necessarily - a number of p and a's can be picked up on as you walk round the vehicle: cracked light lenses, body damage, cracked mirrors, damaged number plates. Then when you get inside there are seat belts that can be advised, as can the windscreen. Potentially at least fifteen entries there, all found in 90 seconds, and you haven't even started the engine yet!

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 20th, 2017, 11:04 am

MonsterMork wrote:
MM, what's your take on this? Can you do one in 35 mins,

Can be done, my boss takes about that for one. Personally I take about 45 minutes, but then my gaffer has been doing tests for 20 years as opposed to my 18 months.

a pass with 35 advisories must have taken forever!

Not necessarily - a number of p and a's can be picked up on as you walk round the vehicle: cracked light lenses, body damage, cracked mirrors, damaged number plates. Then when you get inside there are seat belts that can be advised, as can the windscreen. Potentially at least fifteen entries there, all found in 90 seconds, and you haven't even started the engine yet!

Many years ago I used to take my car to a place where they performed MOT tests very quickly - I timed it once and it took 8 minutes. And, yes, there were a few less things to check in those days.

This was two guys working as a team to a pattern that meant that each knew what was to be checked next, with one guy in the driver's seat and the other outside or underneath, for the lights, steering and suspension checks. The horn, washers and wipers were checked while driving the car towards the ramp to start the test. Although I was happy that the MOT was performed correctly, I do wonder whether they failed some sort of inspection because one year, the test took the usual half-hour or so.

Watis

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 20th, 2017, 11:34 am

Many years ago I used to take my car to a place where they performed MOT tests very quickly - I timed it once and it took 8 minutes. And, yes, there were a few less things to check in those days.

When I was a student, we all knew which garages not to take our tatty old rat-bikes to at MOT time. :? There was always some stroppy tester who'd rattle your head races as if he was trying to shake the ball bearings out of it. Or who'd fail your expensive chrome silencer because you'd stuck a bit of gun gum into the rust-hole on the side that you couldn't see. Or who'd find some excuse to demand that you got your cracked centre stand welded up. None of which we could afford. So we went down to Dodgy Dan's on the trading estate and all was well. Err, usually.

In defence, our bikes mostly had less than 30 bhp and would sometimes struggle to reach 80 mph. And we did always insist on having tip-top brakes and tyres. But yes, it's true what they say about survivor bias. :roll:

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 20th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Watis wrote:Many years ago I used to take my car to a place where they performed MOT tests very quickly - I timed it once and it took 8 minutes. And, yes, there were a few less things to check in those days.
Watis

There was a chap called Blind Sid who used to MOT bikes by walking around and stroking them. Quick squeeze of the brakes, check horn and lights, ride in and out of the workshop and job done.

He probably MOT'd the owner as much as the bike, but I gather was caught out when he submitted about 130 tests one Saturday.

A friend imported a Laverda Montjuic - VERY LOUD.

All tidied up - off for the MOT on the VIN plate so it could get registered. We opened the van and he looked inside. "Loud, you say?"
"Yup, original piped we think".
"Looks lovely, sure it will be fine".
We get in van and start to undo the straps.
"Leave it there lads, it will be OK"

Sadly on the way home it fell over as we were so stunned we forgot to tighten one of the straps back up.

Paul

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » February 20th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Laverda Montjuic - VERY LOUD.

Standard pipes then :D

Was stood three feet behind one of Mike Hailwood's TT bikes a couple of years back when his son fired it up - my ears have just about recovered :o How the hell those chaps rode them without being completely mutton by the bottom of Bray Hill I will never know! :lol:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”