Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Jaguar F Type R

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Jaguar F Type R

Postby Wizard » September 20th, 2020, 9:09 pm

I wondered if anyone on TLF had any direct experience of the Jaguar F Type R. I am thinking of getting one and so far the reviews I have read and watched on YouTube seem overwhelmingly positive, but there is nothing like the experience of an owner or former owner.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Re: Jaguar F Type R

Postby Mike88 » September 21st, 2020, 8:36 am

It's often a good idea to read the forums for the type of vehicle as that often gives an insight into re-occurring issues. The F type is a lovely vehicle but what put me off was the price of adding the essential extras. For that reason I didn't buy one and opted for a BMW instead. However, a well accessorised F type is a great vehicle. I had a quick look at some of the F type forums and the issues, for the most part, were relatively minor.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 21st, 2020, 12:14 pm

Are you buying or leasing?

A nicely spec'd 12 month old V8 Vantage will be similar cost or lower. I haven't tried the FtypeR but found the surprisingly good sounding V6 F type to be typical of modern performance cars - uninvolving until you reach the sort of speeds that end in "am I on the bottom bunk then Bubba?"

Astons are bit bit more Old school and analogue and were more involving, and feel a lot more 'special'.

Mian thing is to try one against the opposition.

Paul

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 21st, 2020, 1:18 pm

It depends on what you are looking for......performance, quality, reliability, durability, cost of ownership, all of them etc. I suspect that most owners don't keep their cars for long so reports of reliability, durability and cost of ownership might not be realistic if you are planning on keeping one 5 years of more.

My range rover, part of JLR, required new brake disks/pads at 20K miles/4 years old. That's put me off buying another or a jag. They certainly are not at the same level as a mercedes.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 21st, 2020, 1:21 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Are you buying or leasing?

A nicely spec'd 12 month old V8 Vantage will be similar cost or lower. I haven't tried the FtypeR but found the surprisingly good sounding V6 F type to be typical of modern performance cars - uninvolving until you reach the sort of speeds that end in "am I on the bottom bunk then Bubba?"

Astons are bit bit more Old school and analogue and were more involving, and feel a lot more 'special'.

Mian thing is to try one against the opposition.

Paul

I will be buying, but it will not be brand new as the initial depreciation on any car is something I try to avoid. I am also yet to get comfortable with the recently updated styling at the front end, I still prefer the prior model. I am likely to be looking at a 68 or 19 plate car. I do like the Vantage, again I am not sure about the front end on the newest one, though the rear styling is glorious IMHO. As you say, worth giving both of them a drive to compare and contrast.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 21st, 2020, 1:31 pm

richlist wrote:It depends on what you are looking for......performance, quality, reliability, durability, cost of ownership, all of them etc. I suspect that most owners don't keep their cars for long so reports of reliability, durability and cost of ownership might not be realistic if you are planning on keeping one 5 years of more.

My range rover, part of JLR, required new brake disks/pads at 20K miles/4 years old. That's put me off buying another or a jag. They certainly are not at the same level as a mercedes.

A bit of fun I guess is the prime motivation, plus I have always been very keen on the look of them. We already have three other cars so it will not be a high mileage number by any means. My wife had a Range Rover and it was not very reliable, but that was a few years back and I understood JLR have made significant improvements in recent years, maybe that is not the case and to be honest I have no recollection of where my impression of improvement came from. Something else to look into in more detail.

As for a Mercedes, I am afraid there is nothing in their line up that I could fall for in terms of styling. I thought about a GT but there is something about the back end that does not work on the car IMHO.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » September 21st, 2020, 1:38 pm

I was loaned a Mercedes GLA for a week. It was probably the worst modern car I have driven in terms of performance and I particularly hated the screen plonked on the dash which looked shoddy. Have you considered an Audi Q3 or Q5? I particularly like the Q3 Sportsback but wont be changing my BMW bought in March for a while yet. I don't think I could recommend a BMW X5 as that seemed a downgrade on my previous Audi.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 21st, 2020, 2:29 pm

Mike88 wrote:I was loaned a Mercedes GLA for a week. It was probably the worst modern car I have driven in terms of performance and I particularly hated the screen plonked on the dash which looked shoddy. Have you considered an Audi Q3 or Q5? I particularly like the Q3 Sportsback but wont be changing my BMW bought in March for a while yet. I don't think I could recommend a BMW X5 as that seemed a downgrade on my previous Audi.

You're suggesting an Audi Q3 instead of a Jaguar F Type R????

--confused kiloran :?

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » September 21st, 2020, 4:15 pm

kiloran wrote:
Mike88 wrote:I was loaned a Mercedes GLA for a week. It was probably the worst modern car I have driven in terms of performance and I particularly hated the screen plonked on the dash which looked shoddy. Have you considered an Audi Q3 or Q5? I particularly like the Q3 Sportsback but wont be changing my BMW bought in March for a while yet. I don't think I could recommend a BMW X5 as that seemed a downgrade on my previous Audi.

You're suggesting an Audi Q3 instead of a Jaguar F Type R????

--confused kiloran :?

I'm also confused mixing up the F type with the E pace.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”