Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Driving Licence

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Driving Licence

Postby NomoneyNohoney » March 2nd, 2017, 12:05 pm

I have an old paper licence. The address is years out of date. If I try to update the address will I be forced to change to a photo ID licence, with an associated cost?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Driving Licence

Postby staffordian » March 2nd, 2017, 12:32 pm

I'm certain that when I had to notify a change of address about four years ago it was free, even thought they "upgraded" my licence to a two part photo jobbie. And to answer the other part, yes, no option but to have the new sort, unfortunately

It is a legal requirement to keep your licence address up to date IIRC.

Staffordian

Edit. Are the two part licences now one part?

I seem to recall reading that the paper part was being abolished.
Last edited by staffordian on March 2nd, 2017, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » March 2nd, 2017, 12:43 pm

staffordian wrote:It is a legal requirement to keep your licence address up to date IIRC.

Staffordian

Yes, agreed - it is a legal requirement so you had best do it, as much of a pain as it is. (In recent years I have been made to submit a copy of my own licence when renewing insurance, the companies in question assessing their premiums partly according to where you live - so that is another reason to keep it up to date!)

LadyG

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 2nd, 2017, 1:00 pm

staffordian wrote:I'm certain that when I had to notify a change of address about four years ago it was free, even thought they "upgraded" my licence to a two part photo jobbie. And to answer the other part, yes, no option but to have the new sort, unfortunately

It is a legal requirement to keep your licence address up to date IIRC.

Staffordian

Edit. Are the two part licences now one part?

I seem to recall reading that the paper part was being abolished.

Correct on all accounts.

The paper part of a licence no longer exists. In view of this you need to generate a "licence details check" code if you want to hire a vehicle - this is online and free and takes a couple of minutes. The code is a one-use thing valid for 3 weeks (as opposed to the rather inconvenient 3 days when it first came in). I've never been asked to provide it when I collect a vehicle.

The (maximum) penalty for an incorrect driving licence is £1000.

Changing address on your licence is free, however I don't know if this also includes if you 'upgrade' to a photocard at the same time. I did my licence address change online last month and a new one appeared within a week. As part of the application you promise to destroy the old one.

Also remember the photocard licence is only valid for 10 years, after which it must be renewed for £20.

As all the government systems get linked under the new(ish) Government Gateway [1] then this sort of thing will get picked up automatically.

Paul

[1] The system the means it takes longer to log in for Self Assessment than it does to do the tax return :(

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » March 2nd, 2017, 2:45 pm

Ah, think I found the answer:

"Exchange your paper driving licence for a photocard licence

You must get a new licence if:

you change your address
your licence has been defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed
you change your name (you must apply by post using paper form D1 or D2)
you’re getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) driver qualification card (DQC)

If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you don’t need to exchange it for a photocard version.

You’ll need to:

have your driving licence
be a resident of Great Britain
meet the minimum eyesight requirement
not be prevented from driving for any reason
pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card"

So: £20.00 is the official answer.

Note to self: should do a bit more research before being lazy and posting on TLF...

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 2nd, 2017, 3:23 pm

Free according to this link...

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Which includes...

Change the address on your driving licence
Change the address on either:

your full driving licence
your provisional driving licence
It doesn’t cost anything to change your address with DVLA.

You can still drive while you’re waiting for your new licence.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 2nd, 2017, 3:42 pm

DrFfybes wrote:It is a legal requirement to keep your licence address up to date IIRC.

The old paper licence was valid only to age 70. Presumably the same applies to the photo version. Anyone know what you are supposed to do as you approach 70?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 2nd, 2017, 4:25 pm

Alaric wrote:The old paper licence was valid only to age 70. Presumably the same applies to the photo version. Anyone know what you are supposed to do as you approach 70?

Although the licence is valid until age seventy, the photo has to be renewed every ten years if that makes sense!

As you approach seventy, the DVLA will contact you with details of how to renew. (They won't contact the OP though because his address is not up to date :D ;) )

Staffordian

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » March 4th, 2017, 9:50 pm

And the photo becomes eligable for you passport renewals - they just share records, so no money wasted getting it done twice.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 4th, 2017, 10:59 pm

DrFfybes wrote:The paper part of a licence no longer exists.

I believe that the OP was talking about the old-style paper licenses and not the paper counterpart of the new-style card licenses. The latter were abolished a year or two ago, but old style paper licenses are still valid if you have one.

I held onto my old-style paper license for the longest time I could. But in 2010 I moved house and had to submit a change of address request, whereupon I got sucked into the new system with its cards and electronic records.

If it helps anyone, DVLC accepts a post office box or accommodation address so that, as long as you maintain that, you should not need to update your records each time you change your residence.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 5th, 2017, 7:38 am

I have an old European pre-EU paper license issued in the early 80's, DVLA/HMRC website says I can use it till I am 70 ie almost 20 more years. No address change notifications necessary or even possible I assume. After BREXIT if I escape deportation and forced sosialisation/sale of my assets I may have to get it changed into UK one.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”