Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Broken springs

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Broken springs

Postby bungeejumper » March 29th, 2017, 10:33 am

Grrrr again. The wife's Golf is finally back from the garage, with a nice new EGR valve that only took two and a half weeks for VW to supply. (Because of the parts shortage caused by the rate at which the diesel fix is killing EGRs off. But that's another story....) And, as soon as I drove it away from the garage, I noticed a nasty rattle from the back end that wasn't there before I took the car in.

Turns out that it was a complete coincidence. Both rear springs have broken. Pothole damage, says the garage, they've replaced 30 sets on various cars in the last two months, and often the damage only shows up during the MOT. (Not our fault, the council says, local authority budget cuts and all that....)

Still, the good news is that springs are only £90 a pair and take about an hour to fit. Could have been worse. ;)

BJ

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Broken springs

Postby richlist » March 29th, 2017, 12:16 pm

The council say it's not their fault do they ?.....well they would do, wouldn't they ?

If the result is people like yourself accepting that response and paying for their own repairs.

What ever happened to using the small claims court......I'm sure you can get your local garage to provide you with a written report.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 29th, 2017, 12:41 pm

richlist wrote:What ever happened to using the small claims court......I'm sure you can get your local garage to provide you with a written report.

Exactly so. And all I'd have to do would be to prove that the two springs broke on the council's own roads. And not on those of the next county, or the one beyond that. ;)

Although springs break suddenly, it's pretty normal to find that they've been pre-weakened and partially cracked over a period of time. As I understand it, to stand any proper chance of getting a claim paid, I'd need to prove that the car came to a crashing halt on a particular pothole which had previously been reported as needing to be fixed.

Not quite the open and shut process that one might suppose, then?

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 29th, 2017, 12:50 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
richlist wrote:What ever happened to using the small claims court......I'm sure you can get your local garage to provide you with a written report.

Exactly so. And all I'd have to do would be to prove that the two springs broke on the council's own roads. And not on those of the next county, or the one beyond that. ;)

Although springs break suddenly, it's pretty normal to find that they've been pre-weakened and partially cracked over a period of time. As I understand it, to stand any proper chance of getting a claim paid, I'd need to prove that the car came to a crashing halt on a particular pothole which had previously been reported as needing to be fixed.

Not quite the open and shut process that one might suppose, then?

BJ

And indeed who is to say it was not speed bumps rather than potholes that did the damage. I think that it is only really feasible to sue over a specific incident involving a specific pothole.

John

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 29th, 2017, 6:08 pm

I can't see any reasonable prospect of claiming from any council for a broken spring discovered at MOT and not clearly attributable to a particular pothole.

It's a pity because I have just paid out £300 for the same thing on my Volvo V50 estate - unknown to me until discovered at MOT. And my daughter's Micra had the same problem last year.

It's clearly a widespread issue

iain123

Postby iain123 » March 30th, 2017, 8:21 am

In 30 years of driving I'd never had a broken spring until we started driving VW/Audis. In the last 5 years we have had 4 replacements on 2 different cars. If the garage mechanic is to be believed they have been sourcing brittle ones too cheaply.

(On the plus side when was the last time you replaced an exhaust? They last forever these days!)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 30th, 2017, 10:20 am

I suspect it's the neglected state of the roads, not the marque of car you're driving. But you might be right.
iain123 wrote:(On the plus side when was the last time you replaced an exhaust? They last forever these days!)

Wow, that sets me back a bit. 1990, I think, when the wife's Metro threw a back box. Although we did have to get a catalytic converter welded up on the Polo after one of its stainless steel support brackets failed. So let me see, £400 for a new cat or £20 for welding? Hmmm, decisions, decisions. :D

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”