Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Honda Jazz CVT

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Honda Jazz CVT

Postby raybarrow » July 17th, 2021, 8:25 am

Hi Folks,
Recap recent post re looking for a more accessible car for Mrs B with mobility problems. She had the operation for draining fluid of the brain and it was successful. Still needs to improve fitness and walking ability, after 12 months of struggling - long term project. She still has arthritis.
Anyway this means that any urgency to look for such a car has passed. I don't buy new cars so don't have a problem with cars 7+ years old.
Going to look at a friend's Jazz CVT 1.4 (2012ish) this weekend. Reviews mention the CVT system in that it revs up to go and then quietens as the CVT takes control.
Question: Is this 'noise' as bad as they suggest or are we talking about trying to out drag everybody as the light turn green. In fairness to my friend I can't expect to do a foot flat to the floor test with a hand held decibel meter.
My driving style is leisurely, my age is more than the maximum national speed limit. Most journeys will be 'local' with the occasional 100+miles, Birmingham to Aberystwyth, Norwich, Lincoln, Manchester.
My other choice was a VW Polo with DSG gearbox, if Mrs B can access it ok. She is fine with my 2011 Fiesta (before the op it was difficult).
Tricky choice I know as they are totally different. Jazz gives lots of room (Mrs B is a Guiding Brown Owl - which means 'stuff'). Polo gives quiet comfort (son has Golf with DSG box - very nice. I don't need the Golf size).

No rush now, thankfully,
Any comments welcome,
Ray.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Honda Jazz CVT

Postby sg31 » July 17th, 2021, 9:02 am

My wifes Mercedes A class is quite old and it has CVT. It's not a problem in any way. It seems strange at first. When you accelerate the engine revs higher at first then settles down. It's not particularly noisy and drives like normal.

After a short while you accept it as normal and barely notice it. The only reason I do notice it is that I only drive it occassionally.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 17th, 2021, 9:09 am

I have a Honda Hazz 2015 automatic with the CVT. No noises issues or higher revving sounds, that the average driver would notice, and I'm the sort that hears any unusual noises.

It's sluggish on acceleration and takes a while to get going when you put your foot down. It sort of sounds in a muffled hurry. If you pop it into sport mode, you will hear a slight increase in engine revs, but negligible additional noise. A very functional car, though perhaps not for the driving or sports enthusiast.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 17th, 2021, 2:20 pm

My guess is that the Honda would be a perfect choice. Legendary Honda engine quality and great build quality along with practicality. My 16 year old Honda Accord still drives new a new car at 90k miles. The DSG gear box from VW has some reliability issues and there were some reports of people having trouble pulling out of junctions using it but the CVT is just press and go.

John

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » July 17th, 2021, 4:24 pm

We have a 2014 Jazz Hybrid as a school run / local run car.

The CVT gearbox can feel a bit strange as it holds revs constant as you accelerate, but you quickly get used to it.

An advantage of the CVT box is that it allows a broad range of ratios, allowing the engine to run at low revs while cruising. For example, at 60 mph our car may only be at 2,000 rpm, reducing wear on the engine and fuel consumption.

More broadly, for older people or families, a Jazz is a great choice. Relaxing to drive, exceptional visibility, very practical, low running costs (fuel and cheap main dealer servicing) and bullet proof reliability. No thrills, but for that I take to two wheels or to the air!

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » July 17th, 2021, 5:09 pm

Thanks Folks,
Looks like Jazz is worth a serious look. Could be that Brown Owl's space requirements may swing it.
When my friend and I had a car business (Vintage & Veteran cars), we had at one stage back in the 60s/70s, a DAF55 and a DAF66. They had variomatic belt drive (an early form of CVT). Somewhat noisy, but it was the 'no noticable gear change' that made it fun to drive and suprisingly sprightly away form the lights.
Interesting aboout the VW DSG problems, must do some research.

Having a go at the Jazz next week,
Ray

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » July 29th, 2021, 9:45 am

Hi Folks,

Just an update. Drove friend's Honda Jazz 1.4 2012 CVT, locally and down the motorway. Very impressed. Comfortable, easy access (neither of us are getting any younger), spacious (to fit Brown Owl's stuff ), so easy to drive. CVT just works. Smoother than a 'normal' auto and with a naturally aspirated engine no waiting for a turbo to kick in. Suits my relaxed style of driving ( if my passengers can sleep rather than 'hanging on' and 'braking' with me, I'm happy).
It won't do 0-60 in under 10 seconds but when have I ever need that - oh yes, never).

The tricky bit now is finding one of sufficient age, Honda owners tend to keep them, that doesn't have too many 'new improved bits'. Electric handbrake, turbo, 16" wheels, keyless locking etc. Pre-2015 I think is the target date.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions,
Ray.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 29th, 2021, 11:36 am

this is a no brainer for me.

the honda jazz has been a WHICH? best buy for many years .

i have had CVT gearboxes since 2004 , nissan primera (faultless 150000 miles) , nissan qashqai (40000miles so far ) , both used extensively towing caravans.

there are no gears , just a flexible steel belt on variable diameter pully's - simple .

use is effortless , just adjust right foot for power needs .

very very smooth , no noise unless flat out , which i rarely do.

many hybrids have CVT .

i have also heard bad vibes re DSG boxes - reliability and clonky changes .

:D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 29th, 2021, 12:01 pm

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,

Just an update. Drove friend's Honda Jazz 1.4 2012 CVT, locally and down the motorway. Very impressed. Comfortable, easy access (neither of us are getting any younger), spacious (to fit Brown Owl's stuff ), so easy to drive. CVT just works. Smoother than a 'normal' auto and with a naturally aspirated engine no waiting for a turbo to kick in. Suits my relaxed style of driving ( if my passengers can sleep rather than 'hanging on' and 'braking' with me, I'm happy).
It won't do 0-60 in under 10 seconds but when have I ever need that - oh yes, never).

The tricky bit now is finding one of sufficient age, Honda owners tend to keep them, that doesn't have too many 'new improved bits'. Electric handbrake, turbo, 16" wheels, keyless locking etc. Pre-2015 I think is the target date.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions,
Ray.

Try Autotrader hundreds available of that age, both private and trade.

John

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”