Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Legal use of iPhone for 'Satnav' purposes

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Legal use of iPhone for 'Satnav' purposes

Postby midnightcatprowl » April 8th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Can anyone explain to me in words of one syllable what I need to do to comply with the law on the use of mobile phones in vehicles (in my case a van).

Just to explain that for general purposes: phone calls, texts, checking Facebook or The Lemon Fool or whatever, I don't feel and never have felt the need to use my mobile phone - currently an iPhone 5s - while driving. But I do find it a helpful sort of 'Satnav' device for finding the way on certain occasions. Up until now I've sorted out my destination on Google Maps, set it going for (spoken) directions, put the mobile down in the tray in front of the gear lever and let it chant out the directions as I drive along. I've never felt any need to look at the visual display on the phone, I prefer to just listen while making my own visual assessment of the likelihood of the instructions being called out.

I'm assuming that this casual method of use is now illegal even though I never pick up the mobile again until I'm parked somewhere? I accept it would be difficult to prove that I do just leave it lying there and never look at it or hold it except when parked.

I've looked at a number of websites about this issue, including the .Gov website, but while there is plenty about what you are not allowed to do I can't get clear information about what you can do. I think I should have the phone mounted in a holder on the dashboard? Or could it be mounted somewhere else as I'd actually prefer not to have it as a visual distraction? I definitely don't want to be listening to the mobile through an earpiece, I prefer the mobile to be stating direction instructions out loud.

The information I can find online all seems to be about how you can continue to use your mobile phone while driving but staying within the law, but actually I don't want to use it except occasionally when I need directions.

Any advice?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Legal use of iPhone for 'Satnav' purposes

Postby swill453 » April 9th, 2017, 12:11 am

I'm pretty sure that by "using" it they mean touching it. Listening to it or looking at it isn't a specific offence. Mounting brackets aren't mentioned in the law as far as I know.

As long as you only touch it in a legal way (engine switched off) you should be fine as far as the specific law is concerned.

Of course if you have it placed somewhere awkward, and are distracted by it when your attention should be on the road, you may be considered to be committing another offence, like driving without due care and attention.

Scott.

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » April 9th, 2017, 9:53 am

A Q&A I saw on this from the local police said that it is the use of a handheld device that is covered in the law and for that its use to be an offence it had to be held in the hand. They clarified that the use of a mobile phone as a satnav, music/radio player, handsfree phone etc. were all fine so long as the phone is not being held in the hand.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 9th, 2017, 12:50 pm

I would suggest buying a cheap suction holder to stick on the windscreen, that way there will be no suggestion that you are holding it.

Plus when Google says "There is a 10 mile holdup 5 miles ahead, we have found a route that is 2 hours quicker", it makes it much easier to hit the accept :D

Or you could go Brodit and get the mount for your car and the holder for your phone, but that is much more expensive.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » April 9th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Thanks all, this has been very helpful information.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”