Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Flat battery

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Flat battery

Postby bungeejumper » October 27th, 2021, 1:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I have a couple of antique specimens in the garage. Will go and have a look at them now.

Okay, scrub all that. :( Month letter and single year digit must be an antique 'Murican methodology. Bothof my old batteries had the two-digit week number, and then the year as another two digits.

On the Varta battery for my Toyota, the code was stamped into the actual metal of the negative terminal (so it was clearly visible from the top after a quick wipe). And on the Banner battery (a VW OEM supplier), it was hot-stamped into the plastic battery casing just below the negative terminal. Both of these battery dates were a month or two before the two cars were first registered. Which is good to know. :)

BJ

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » October 27th, 2021, 4:57 pm

I appreciate that not everybody is into self-mercanicking, but there's probably a manufacturing date code heat-stamped somewhere on the battery casing

To access the casing I should have remove the boot liner and unscrew the 8 or so bolts that hold down the battery metal casing. I don't think I have anything in my toolkit to undo bolts, other than pliers which would scratch/severe if a bolt is on tight. The only spanners i have are flat but there is not enough space between the bolt position and the side of the boot for manoeuvrability I suppose I could treat myself to some sort of wrench. But i would think it would then have as much use as the tool I bought long ago for removing old hard putty from sash windows.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 29th, 2021, 8:58 am

bungeejumper wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:I have a couple of antique specimens in the garage. Will go and have a look at them now.

Okay, scrub all that. :( Month letter and single year digit must be an antique 'Murican methodology. Bothof my old batteries had the two-digit week number, and then the year as another two digits.

On the Varta battery for my Toyota, the code was stamped into the actual metal of the negative terminal (so it was clearly visible from the top after a quick wipe). And on the Banner battery (a VW OEM supplier), it was hot-stamped into the plastic battery casing just below the negative terminal. Both of these battery dates were a month or two before the two cars were first registered. Which is good to know. :)

BJ

On 2 of our cars it is written on the top of the battery in large permanent marker.

I haven't replaced the Avensis battery yet.

They have a warranty, easiest way of checking how old it is :)

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”