Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tyre wear

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Tyre wear

Postby redsturgeon » December 2nd, 2021, 12:56 pm

Just done this swap on my old Honda Accord. Bought it in August with pretty much new boots on and have done 15,000 miles since then. Fronts now look about half worn while rears look to be still new. Jacked up one side at a time and switched front to back. Took 30 minutes but I did use a trolley jack and impact driver.

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 2nd, 2021, 1:15 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Just done this swap on my old Honda Accord. Bought it in August with pretty much new boots on and have done 15,000 miles since then. Fronts now look about half worn while rears look to be still new. Jacked up one side at a time and switched front to back. Took 30 minutes but I did use a trolley jack and impact driver.

John

Are you a taxi driver?

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 2nd, 2021, 1:21 pm

Dod101 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Just done this swap on my old Honda Accord. Bought it in August with pretty much new boots on and have done 15,000 miles since then. Fronts now look about half worn while rears look to be still new. Jacked up one side at a time and switched front to back. Took 30 minutes but I did use a trolley jack and impact driver.

John

Are you a taxi driver?

Dod

You are not the first person to ask me that in the past few months. :D

And to my children the answer is yes I am...

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 2nd, 2021, 2:21 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
AF62 wrote:I don't rotate the tyres, but I do tend to get them swapped front to back and back to front when, on a front wheel drive car, the front tyres are down to about half their tread, and that is simply because I prefer to change all four tyres at once so want them all needing to be changed at the same time.

Just out of interest, how much do they charge you for a four wheel rotation?

BJ

A 'drink'.

If I pop into the local branch of a national tyre chain an hour or so before closing when they are quiet then they are happy to do it for nothing other than a reasonable contribution to the tea fund with no official invoices involved.

Rather like when I had a puncture on a Sunday afternoon a while back. The first couple of places I tried were too busy and the third told be there would be a couple of hour wait; then looked me up and down and asked if was "card or cash". Ten minutes later the puncture was fixed and I was back on the road.

airbus330 wrote:I used to do this on my old BMW as I swapped in/out summer to winter tyres. It was heavy on the rear tyres and rotating them equalised the tyre wear over their lifetime. Only downside was all 4 had to be replaced at the same time which was a big credit card dent.

Although some places will now give larger discounts for purchasing four tyres at one time.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » December 2nd, 2021, 8:27 pm

DrFfybes wrote:There'll be a Mork along soon ....

.... ISTR some 4x4 drive systems beingvery sensitive to wheels of differing diameters due to tyre wear.

Paul

You rang, m'lud? :lol:

In ye olden days wot are only remembered in myth, legend, repeats on Dave, and by old farts like me (ahem) tyre rotation was indeed a good thing. These days tyre technology and construction has moved on from the ditchfinder Cross-Ply era. Modern tyres are, in most cases, no longer in need of rotation.

1 - However!

As has been mentioned elsewhere you need to make sure that you are not mixing different sizes across an axle, and not getting rotational tyres fitted the wrong way round. If you do switch tyres swap front and rear on the same side of the vehicle which should prevent any direction of rotation issues.
Merc and Beemer owners need to be aware of tyre size issues as some have wider tyres on the rear than the front, and indeed a few Mercs have wheels themselves which are front only and rear only!

2 - However!

I am finding these days that tyre technology may be good for road grip and longevity in miles covered, but in some cases not so good for the life of the tyre construction. With many cars being small(er) city types with not a massive amount of weight to them and always doing stop-start low speed city driving what I see at MoT is many of these tyres are cracking substantially on the rears but not the front, in some cases to the point of cracking through to the cords or having the tyre construction essentially fail. I suspect this to be due to the rear tyres not getting "proper" heat cycles and wear to them simply becasue they are stuck in city traffic all the time.
The tyre manufacturers do their best to design their tyres to stand up to the hardest of use (reps on sustained motorway blasts, farmer Phil hooning round rural roads, da yoof doing traffic light grand prix starts, you get the idea) and they do it well but sadly they just cannot concoct a tyre purely for city driving as some numpty will then take it on a jolly down the M45 at stupid mph and wonder why they had a blow-out.

MM

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 2nd, 2021, 9:27 pm

swill453 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:A cousin used to be a motorway cop, and he always used to say that your rear tyres should have more tread than your fronts. That's because a rear-wheel blowout at speed is more dangerous than a burst front tyre. That would be why the books used to say that you should always have a new pair of tyres put on the rear wheels, and rotate the part-worn rears to the front.

On well over half a million miles of driving, I've only ever had one blowout at any speed. It was the rear wheel and allowed me to pull over without any drama.

Scott.

That was also my experience. On the motorway at 70mph - it was the noise of running on the rim that drew my attention to the problem. Needless to say, the tyre was shredded.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”