Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

best way to sell a SORNed motorbike

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
lbj20

best way to sell a SORNed motorbike

Postby lbj20 » April 16th, 2017, 9:56 pm

We have a bike which has been off the road for a couple of years. At the time of SORNing, it was running OK although the battery had died and needed replacing. Anyway, the time has come to get rid of it. Are there any good services which will collect a nonfunctioning bike, and hopefully find something useful to do with it? (fix it up, use it for parts, whatever)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: best way to sell a SORNed motorbike

Postby Lootman » April 16th, 2017, 10:04 pm

You asked about selling it but what you then wrote indicates more a desire to donate it to a worthy home. I've donated non-working cars to charity a couple of times and it worked well - they came and towed it away, took care of the paperwork and that was it. Counts as a charitable donation for tax purposes.

Motorcycles might be a little trickier but I found this:

http://giveacar.co.uk/scrap/scrap-motorbike

Oxfam UK also claim to accept motorbikes.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 17th, 2017, 8:46 am

My first "proper" bike (a Triumph) arrived on the back of a pick-up truck as a non-runner, for forty quid as I recall. ("I dunno, guv, it was running fine until we put it under that tarpaulin last winter.") Fixing and sorting it out was half the fun. And the fact that I was dead skint made it all the sweeter. There's always somebody out there who'll love a not-too-dead bike. A couple of small ads and it ought to fly. If you see what I mean. 8-)

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 17th, 2017, 9:14 am

lbj20 wrote:We have a bike which has been off the road for a couple of years. At the time of SORNing, it was running OK although the battery had died and needed replacing. Anyway, the time has come to get rid of it. Are there any good services which will collect a nonfunctioning bike, and hopefully find something useful to do with it? (fix it up, use it for parts, whatever)

I'd try Gumtree. Easy and free!

John

lbj20

Postby lbj20 » April 17th, 2017, 10:05 am

Thanks all! I think we have a preference for 'easy' - selling something non-running feels like it could end up being a hassle, especially as it's an unusual make which is no longer really around, but perhaps it's more a known quantity in bikes (not sold one before!).

Oxfam - there's an idea :) Wouldn't've expected that!

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”