Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Electic SUVs

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Electic SUVs

Postby DrFfybes » June 29th, 2022, 1:40 pm

Sat at a cafe and a Hyundai electric small SUV pulled in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_I ... 062021.jpg

It was a little strange looking, I felt compelled to say "Klaatu barada nikto".

Paul

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Re: Electic SUVs

Postby Mike88 » June 29th, 2022, 1:44 pm

It does look alien but that's part of the appeal. That car is on my list of possibles but think I will wait until the chip situation improves.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 29th, 2022, 4:37 pm

I suppose it's the headlamps, which we humans tend to interpret as eyes. Some cars look racy and adventurous, and some look cuddly and friendly. That Hyundai looks as though it's trying hard to remember its name, but failing. :geek:

The origami look could catch on, though. Very practical. A few snappy folds and it turns into a paper bag.

BJ

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 29th, 2022, 4:47 pm

Have to say, while some companies have been very high profile shouting about the future of personal transportation based on EV technology, Hyundai/Kia have been quietly getting on with building a potential world leading range of next generation vehicles. Very impressive in my opinion. And yes, using heat pump technology to drive the car heating and ventilation system makes perfect sense.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 29th, 2022, 6:18 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
I suppose it's the headlamps, which we humans tend to interpret as eyes.

Some cars look racy and adventurous, and some look cuddly and friendly.

Reminds me of one of my favourite car stunt videos -

https://i.imgur.com/Z3b7EH7.mp4

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » July 4th, 2022, 9:50 pm

Sadly if the current trend towards SUVs continue then it will offset the carbon benefits of electrification. I am not commenting on this specific model which i have no knowledge of.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » July 4th, 2022, 10:02 pm

AWOL wrote:Sadly if the current trend towards SUVs continue then it will offset the carbon benefits of electrification.

At present there are no carbon benefits of electrification unless you live in Iceland where all the electricity comes from green sources.

There are some benefits in the city centre emissions being lower and generator emissions being higher, but that makes no difference to the climate.

By the time the UK's electricity is sourced from wind/air, the current generation of electric vehicles will all be in landfill.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » July 4th, 2022, 10:20 pm

Lanark wrote:
AWOL wrote:Sadly if the current trend towards SUVs continue then it will offset the carbon benefits of electrification.

At present there are no carbon benefits of electrification unless you live in Iceland where all the electricity comes from green sources.

There are some benefits in the city centre emissions being lower and generator emissions being higher, but that makes no difference to the climate.

By the time the UK's electricity is sourced from wind/air, the current generation of electric vehicles will all be in landfill.

It depends on assumptions but I have seen reasonable calculations that show after 10-14 years the EV will be have a lower carbon footprint. The original owner is unlikely to hold the car when this happens but the planet will see a benefit. Is it worth the other pollution associated with an EV? Probably not unless we improve our generation. However it does make the infrastructure required for an electric future worth investing in so it is a start.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » July 4th, 2022, 10:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I suppose it's the headlamps, which we humans tend to interpret as eyes. Some cars look racy and adventurous, and some look cuddly and friendly. That Hyundai looks as though it's trying hard to remember its name, but failing. :geek:
BJ

The Rivian SUV & trucks just look sinister. Somewhere between a frown and a grimace. Seemed impressive though when featured on Top Gear last week.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/rivian- ... 1c0d714f83

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 4th, 2022, 11:46 pm

I'm feeling pressure to get an electric van. Problem is, all of them look like they would be more at home driving around in Trumpton or Camberwick Green.

Until they stop making them looking like comedy vehicles, I'm out.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » July 5th, 2022, 12:29 am

We have a Kia Soul EV. Looks funny but everything about it is impressive. Including the range which is up to 300 miles if driven gently. If driven hard it is very nippy.

It's charging in the garage this evening. A full tank is going to cost us around £3. (Our off peak tariff does go up next month so this will go up to £5 or a bit less).

What's not to like? ;)

regards

Howard

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » July 5th, 2022, 2:36 am

Redmires wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:I suppose it's the headlamps, which we humans tend to interpret as eyes. Some cars look racy and adventurous, and some look cuddly and friendly. That Hyundai looks as though it's trying hard to remember its name, but failing. :geek:
BJ

The Rivian SUV & trucks just look sinister. Somewhere between a frown and a grimace. Seemed impressive though when featured on Top Gear last week.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/rivian- ... 1c0d714f83

Plates can make a big difference. Not sure why manufactures like to display things too ugly to be street legal.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 5th, 2022, 8:00 am

Howard wrote:We have a Kia Soul EV. Looks funny but everything about it is impressive. Including the range which is up to 300 miles if driven gently. If driven hard it is very nippy.

It's charging in the garage this evening. A full tank is going to cost us around £3. (Our off peak tariff does go up next month so this will go up to £5 or a bit less).

What's not to like? ;)

regards

Howard

Ha ha the ICE Kia Soul always looked "funny".

John

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 5th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Lanark wrote:

Evidence?

Here's some from reputable sources suggesting there are decent CO2 gains to be had from EVs that will only improve as energy production gets lowers its CO2 intensity.

Reuters suggests breakeven for a Tesla 3 compared to a Toyota Corrolla for CO2 is just 13500 miles
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 021-06-29/

Lifetime analysis comparing the petrol and EV versions of the Volvo C40/XC40 which suggests between 16-45% reduction in lifetime CO2 depending on the energy mix used for charging.

The lower CO2 production during the use of the vehicle is partially offset by the ~70% greater CO2 required during manufacture ( the extra mostly from production of the batteries)

https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/-/me ... report.pdf

A BBC news article of a report showing EVs have a 30-70% lifetime CO2 advantage over ice cars ( depending on the energy mix used for charging)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51977625

That was from a quick google. From a brief look at a couple of Scientific review papers it does look quite complicated to do the calculations and the researcher can easily bias the results by playing with the assumptions used in making the calculations.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » July 5th, 2022, 4:36 pm

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 5th, 2022, 5:17 pm

Howard wrote:We have a Kia Soul EV.
[...]

What's not to like? ;)

The name?

Whoever thought that calling it the "Key Ah-soul" was a good idea ;)

Paul

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 5th, 2022, 5:33 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
[...]

What's not to like? ;)

The name?

Paul

It was probably the same person who named the Vauxhall Mokka-E :D

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 5th, 2022, 7:00 pm

staffordian wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
[...]

What's not to like? ;)

The name?

Paul

Better than the VW E-Up! The exclamation mark is part of the name. Perhaps it emphasises the sense of surprise.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 5th, 2022, 7:10 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
staffordian wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
[...]

What's not to like? ;)

The name?

Paul

Better than the VW E-Up! The exclamation mark is part of the name. Perhaps it emphasises the sense of surprise.

What is it with electric vehicles?

They either have wacky styling or wacky names.

Is it the marketing guys who think the names or the styling has to be trendy to sell them?

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 5th, 2022, 10:13 pm

Why don't British Standards apply a common power pack size/fit. Perhaps 1.5m x 1m x 25cm single retractable units. Drive into a garage and drop the existing/flat pack, swapped for a fully charged pack, maybe less than a minute 'fill up' time before recommencing your journey, and no issues with longevity (providers such as BP/Shell take on the responsibility of retiring exhausted units and replacing them with new units).

Smaller cars having 1 unit, larger cars might accommodate 2 units, vans 3 units ...etc. Internally the different choice of battery methods/technologies just have to fit within the same BS fixed sized housing block/unit and standard electric connectors/couplings.

Service stations might recharge units locally, or perhaps have batches of charged units delivered by a lorry, swapped for discharged units being taken away to be charged elsewhere. Payment for filling up might reflect how far the existing battery had been discharged, fully discharged costing twice as much than if just half discharged in reflection of less cost/time to charge it back to fully-charged.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”