Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Electic SUVs

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Electic SUVs

Postby staffordian » July 5th, 2022, 10:21 pm

1nvest wrote:Why don't British Standards apply a common power pack size/fit. Perhaps 1.5m x 1m x 25cm single retractable units. Drive into a garage and drop the existing/flat pack, swapped for a fully charged pack, maybe less than a minute 'fill up' time before recommencing your journey, and no issues with longevity (providers such as BP/Shell take on the responsibility of retiring exhausted units and replacing them with new units).

Smaller cars having 1 unit, larger cars might accommodate 2 units, vans 3 units ...etc. Internally the different choice of battery methods/technologies just have to fit within the same BS fixed sized housing block/unit and standard electric connectors/couplings.

Service stations might recharge units locally, or perhaps have batches of charged units delivered by a lorry, swapped for discharged units being taken away to be charged elsewhere. Payment for filling up might reflect how far the existing battery had been discharged, fully discharged costing twice as much than if just half discharged in reflection of less cost/time to charge it back to fully-charged.

An interesting idea, but so little is British, it's not a realistic proposition.

One Chinese(?) company is pioneering this approach, but given national and inter company rivalries, I can't see any chance of a world standard interchangeable system.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 5th, 2022, 11:23 pm

Snorvey wrote:A lassie I knew drove around for weeks with 'UP! Yours' inscribed into the dirt of her little VW. No idea how that got there <ahem>

A lassie I still know appended the word @rse to the badge on her smart car. In fact you can buy them everywhere. :)

BJ

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » July 6th, 2022, 3:58 am

1nvest wrote:Why don't British Standards apply a common ...

Batteries are more complex than you imagine. Cooling, ventilation and required mechanical protection differ between different chemistries. The size and shape of available space varies between models. Different cars that use batteries constructed from the same cell can use them quite differently, leading to different designs for all the ancillary hardware. If you standardize on a least common denominator, you'll get a milk float, or an electric fork lift.

You might as well ask why cars don't have standardised engines, windscreens, wiper blades, or headlamps. (The US tried the last, it didn't end well)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 6th, 2022, 8:46 am

O/T, but speaking of novel car variants, I happened across this little collection of fun-looking super-subcompacts. And I daresay every one of them would run all day on a four-pack of AA batteries. https://trendland.com/smart-ass-car/

If only. Great Photoshopping, though. ;)

BJ

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 6th, 2022, 8:57 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Snorvey wrote:A lassie I knew drove around for weeks with 'UP! Yours' inscribed into the dirt of her little VW. No idea how that got there <ahem>

A lassie I still know appended the word @rse to the badge on her smart car. In fact you can buy them everywhere. :)

BJ

There was a scotch lassie worked in our local when I were a lad. No-one could understand a word she said. She had nice red hair though.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » July 6th, 2022, 11:04 am

CliffEdge wrote:There was a scotch lassie worked in our local when I were a lad. No-one could understand a word she said. She had nice red hair though.

‘Scottish’. It’s equally difficult to understand some englanders.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 6th, 2022, 12:46 pm

quelquod wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:There was a scotch lassie worked in our local when I were a lad. No-one could understand a word she said. She had nice red hair though.

‘Scottish’. It’s equally difficult to understand some englanders.

Mostly the ones nearest Scotland I find.
Scotch, if it's good enough for Burns, it'll do for me. Not that I understand a word what he wrote.
Why do the Scots pronounce Ralph as Rafe?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 6th, 2022, 4:47 pm

CliffEdge wrote:Why do the Scots pronounce Ralph as Rafe?

Not just Scotland, I'm sure there must be some at Maudlin College Oxford. Probably Fanshawes or Chumleys. ;)

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 6th, 2022, 5:15 pm

Moderator Message:
We have drifted off topic here. Please stay on topic or risk deletion without warning.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”