Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

AA president hides keyless car fob inside microwave to foil hackers

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: AA president hides keyless car fob inside microwave to foil hackers

Postby AF62 » August 6th, 2022, 12:27 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Snorvey wrote:I think it was Simsqu's old profile on the Motley Fool interview where his response to something that should be invented, but hasn't was...'Central Locking for houses'.

Genius.

That is now possible with Alexa. A friend of mine can lock and unlock the doors to his house by a voice command or remotely from his car.

He can also turn on or off the central heating and set the desired temperature, draw or open the blinds, switch on or off the lights, turn on the TV or other appliances, and probably a few other things I would never even have thought of.

Bear in mind that anything you can do with these devices, so can someone else.

Only if people are dim and don’t use the 2FA settings and reuse passwords. And if they do then the risk is the same as some random person breaking into a ‘dumb’ house for the fun of turning the lights on and off.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 6th, 2022, 12:35 pm

AF62 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Snorvey wrote:I think it was Simsqu's old profile on the Motley Fool interview where his response to something that should be invented, but hasn't was...'Central Locking for houses'.

Genius.

That is now possible with Alexa. A friend of mine can lock and unlock the doors to his house by a voice command or remotely from his car.

He can also turn on or off the central heating and set the desired temperature, draw or open the blinds, switch on or off the lights, turn on the TV or other appliances, and probably a few other things I would never even have thought of.

Only if people are dim and don’t use the 2FA settings and reuse passwords. And if they do then the risk is the same as some random person breaking into a ‘dumb’ house for the fun of turning the lights on and off.

I wouldn't mind betting there is one helluvalot of effort going into cracking the Google Nest home automation system by crims. There must be reams of data available in it, useful for determining when people are away from home, on holiday etc etc so as to choose when to go a-burgling.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 6th, 2022, 1:22 pm

Mike4 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Genius.

I wouldn't mind betting there is one helluvalot of effort going into cracking the Google Nest home automation system by crims. There must be reams of data available in it, useful for determining when people are away from home, on holiday etc etc so as to choose when to go a-burgling.

I don't like Google having such information on me anyway, so I never connected our Nest to the internet. You can change its settings manually and I never need to change the settings unless I am home anyway, so have no need to access the Nest from my phone.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 6th, 2022, 1:41 pm

Mike4 wrote:I wouldn't mind betting there is one helluvalot of effort going into cracking the Google Nest home automation system by crims. There must be reams of data available in it, useful for determining when people are away from home, on holiday etc etc so as to choose when to go a-burgling.

Maybe if your name is Ecclestone and you have a safe full of diamonds, but for mere mortals it is far simpler for the criminals to do a - ‘is there a car on the drive’ ‘are the lights on’ ‘does anyone answer if I knock on the door’ - nope, get out the crowbar then.

Lootman wrote:I don't like Google having such information on me anyway, so I never connected our Nest to the internet. You can change its settings manually and I never need to change the settings unless I am home anyway, so have no need to access the Nest from my phone.

On the other hand I am quite happy for my Hive system to be linked to the internet.

Aside from the ease of adjusting the heating if plans change and I will be home early or late, I can get warnings if the temperature is too low whilst I am away indicating a problem that I can get someone to resolve.

And the Hive system also is linked to door and window sensors so I can be reassured everything is secure, backed up by Ring cameras connected to the internet so I can see and hear what is going on.

Then the lights are also controlled by Hive so when away it gives the appearance the house is occupied, or if at home I can adjust them from my armchair.

Plus of course the TV controlled through Google Home and Samsung Smarthings so that can be turned on and off and controlled remotely.

Then the motorised curtains and blinds that open and close on voice demand or using IFTTT for automation.

And of course since this is the motoring board, there is my car which is also connected to the internet and where I can turn on the heating or aircon remote so it is the correct temperature when I get in.

Do all those companies know what I am doing, where I am, and what I am doing - probably. Do I care - nope.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 6th, 2022, 3:14 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:I don't like Google having such information on me anyway, so I never connected our Nest to the internet. You can change its settings manually and I never need to change the settings unless I am home anyway, so have no need to access the Nest from my phone.

On the other hand I am quite happy for my Hive system to be linked to the internet.

Aside from the ease of adjusting the heating if plans change and I will be home early or late, I can get warnings if the temperature is too low whilst I am away indicating a problem that I can get someone to resolve.

And the Hive system also is linked to door and window sensors so I can be reassured everything is secure, backed up by Ring cameras connected to the internet so I can see and hear what is going on.

Then the lights are also controlled by Hive so when away it gives the appearance the house is occupied, or if at home I can adjust them from my armchair.

Plus of course the TV controlled through Google Home and Samsung Smarthings so that can be turned on and off and controlled remotely.

Then the motorised curtains and blinds that open and close on voice demand or using IFTTT for automation.

And of course since this is the motoring board, there is my car which is also connected to the internet and where I can turn on the heating or aircon remote so it is the correct temperature when I get in.

Do all those companies know what I am doing, where I am, and what I am doing - probably. Do I care - nope.

You sound a lot like the friend I mentioned earlier. Personally I manage to get through life without any of that.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 6th, 2022, 4:04 pm

AF62 wrote:Maybe if your name is Ecclestone and you have a safe full of diamonds, but for mere mortals it is far simpler for the criminals to do a - ‘is there a car on the drive’ ‘are the lights on’ ‘does anyone answer if I knock on the door’ - nope, get out the crowbar then.

Simplest way to check if someone is in is to scan the house, then pick one with a Ring doorbell. Walk up with a face covering, press the button, and if you get a disembodied voice then you know they are out and can safely nip around the back. If you get nothing then they might be in the shower so just go elsewhere.

Alternatively, volunteer co-ordinate distribution of the village magazine. That way you get a pool of 70 people who will phone you up and tell you when they are away :)

AF62 wrote:Only if people are dim and don’t use the 2FA settings and reuse passwords. And if they do then the risk is the same as some random person breaking into a ‘dumb’ house for the fun of turning the lights on and off.

We already know Siri listens on your phone even if you turn it off in all the apps, and whilst I am by no means a conspiracy theorist is is not implausible that the manufacturers of these devices haven't got some hidden features for remote monitoring/activation.

Pauul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 6th, 2022, 4:21 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
AF62 wrote:Maybe if your name is Ecclestone and you have a safe full of diamonds, but for mere mortals it is far simpler for the criminals to do a - ‘is there a car on the drive’ ‘are the lights on’ ‘does anyone answer if I knock on the door’ - nope, get out the crowbar then.

Simplest way to check if someone is in is to scan the house, then pick one with a Ring doorbell. Walk up with a face covering, press the button, and if you get a disembodied voice then you know they are out and can safely nip around the back. If you get nothing then they might be in the shower so just go elsewhere.

I, like many people with Ring doorbells, will answer it remotely even if I am in, as it avoids the door to door sellers of goods or god.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 7th, 2022, 7:41 pm

DrFfybes wrote:

Surely the simplest way is an old fashioned (analogue) load rap on the door? Or do people with Rings only expect visitors to press the button?

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » August 7th, 2022, 11:49 pm

One day last year we got a neighbourhood watch notification that all the video doorbells in the next street had been nicked one evening.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 8th, 2022, 12:05 am

CliffEdge wrote:There is nothing smart in my house.

Nor mine, except me of course! (I joke)

Dod

PS pje16 Sorry you beat me to it.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 8th, 2022, 8:12 am

CliffEdge wrote:One day last year we got a neighbourhood watch notification…

Is neighbourhood watch still a thing? I thought that had died out decades ago.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » August 8th, 2022, 8:23 am

AF62 wrote:

Seems to be a local thing.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 8th, 2022, 8:39 am

AF62 wrote:

alive and well for me
see if your area has one
https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/get-involve ... cal-scheme
you can also look up crime in your area

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 8th, 2022, 9:45 am

pje16 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

alive and well for me
see if your area has one
https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/get-involve ... cal-scheme
you can also look up crime in your area

There are a few schemes around in my area but they all seem to cover just an individual street - presumably a single householder has set one up and perhaps a neighbour or two joining. Do such exceptionally local schemes really have any impact on reducing crime?

As for crime in the area a better website seems to be http://www.police.uk (for those not in Scotland) as it gives details of the crimes. Around me, once you have excluded the shoplifting and anti-social behaviour that are mapped to the local supermarkets there isn't anything left.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 8th, 2022, 9:58 am

AF62 wrote:There are a few schemes around in my area but they all seem to cover just an individual street - presumably a single householder has set one up and perhaps a neighbour or two joining. Do such exceptionally local schemes really have any impact on reducing crime?

Yes I noted that there are 7 in my area
My small street doesn't have an official one but we all know each other and keep an eye out for anything going on and help each other
eg during early Covid we would do food shopping for others
smaller groups work better IMO

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 8th, 2022, 12:18 pm

pje16 wrote:
AF62 wrote:There are a few schemes around in my area but they all seem to cover just an individual street - presumably a single householder has set one up and perhaps a neighbour or two joining. Do such exceptionally local schemes really have any impact on reducing crime?

Yes I noted that there are 7 in my area
My small street doesn't have an official one but we all know each other and keep an eye out for anything going on and help each other
eg during early Covid we would do food shopping for others
smaller groups work better IMO

Absolutely agree with the covid example, but for crime - not so sure.

Local Facebook groups seem to be full of ‘seen this strange person, be careful’ and when the ‘strange person’ is identified it always just turns out to be a parcel delivery driver or something similar.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 8th, 2022, 12:31 pm

AF62 wrote:Absolutely agree with the covid example, but for crime - not so sure.

There have been a handful of attempted car break-ins and attempted thefts over the 15 years I have lived and everytime a neighbour has come out to challenge
I did it once, the police were passing, off they went and nabbed, came back to my house to tell me they had got him (what a thick move, showing him where I live, but he never showed his face round here again)
I don't think my road is the norm, we all love living here and say we are lucky, ex neighbours even come back for street parties.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 8th, 2022, 12:51 pm

pje16 wrote:
AF62 wrote:Absolutely agree with the covid example, but for crime - not so sure.

There have been a handful of attempted car break-ins and attempted thefts over the 15 years I have lived and everytime a neighbour has come out to challenge
I did it once, the police were passing, off they went and nabbed, came back to my house to tell me they had got him (what a thick move, showing him where I live, but he never showed his face round here again)
I don't think my road is the norm, we all love living here and say we are lucky, ex neighbours even come back for street parties.

That high level of crime probably reflects being in London.

But challenging a car thief, particularly in London… not for me.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 8th, 2022, 12:59 pm

I don't rate a handful in 15 years as high
I am in London, albeit on the outskirts

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 8th, 2022, 1:08 pm

Local Facebook groups seem to be full of ‘seen this strange person, be careful’ and when the ‘strange person’ is identified it always just turns out to be a parcel delivery driver or something similar.

Not in our village - they're generally from a nearby city or travellers in a panel van, collecting rather than dropping off, usually about 3am, who seem
averse to getting their pictures taken.

We have a scrapman comes arounf every week or so, takes washing machines etc away for free. Turns out someone joined the village group to find out when he was due, then went around an hour or so earlier collecting the stuff left out for him.

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”