Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

DVLA finally reinstate driving licence

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

DVLA finally reinstate driving licence

Postby raybarrow » January 17th, 2023, 12:16 pm

Hi Folks,

It's only taken them over a year but Mrs B has got her licence back. She had to surrender it in mid-2021 after a brain operation. Consultant said, to her, later that year, that the operation was successful she was ok to drive. So in Dec 2021 she applied to the DVLA to reinstate it. They cashed the cheque in Dec 2021 (had to be a paper application and a cheque) and then after some to-ing and fro-ing, insisting on another scan etc, etc she finally got the licence yesterday. Speedy or what?
Ray.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: DVLA finally reinstate driving licence

Postby Lootman » January 17th, 2023, 12:51 pm

DVLA's tardiness and pickiness about this motivates drivers to not self-report disabilities in the first place, which serves nobody.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 17th, 2023, 1:40 pm

I had to surrender mine a few years ago due to medical issues. I had to wait 12 months and get the OK from a hospital consultant. After 12 months I called the consultant's secretary and was told the paperwork was 'lost' but they would look for it. I waited a few more weeks and then called back and said that I had the consultant's home 'phone number (I did) and asked the secretary if calling him at home might help. The paperwork was 'found' very quickly.

RC

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » January 17th, 2023, 3:39 pm

Hi Folks,

DVLA's tardiness and pickiness about this motivates drivers to not self-report disabilities in the first place, which serves nobody.

I did briefly consider that but the possibility of £1000 fine for not reporting and reportable illness, and the thought that if there was serious motor accident even after the consultant had cleared Mrs B, and the DVLA knew nothing about it I think the insurance company would not be interested in helping and the police would be very insterested in prosecuting.

Still on the plus side reinstating her on the insurance for her car cost nothing (Churchill had just put a 'Not insured to drive' marker on the policy and made me the Main driver for the duration).
Adding her back onto my car policy produced a £16.20 refund from Tesco! So not all bad.

Ray.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 17th, 2023, 5:54 pm

raybarrow wrote:

I did briefly consider that but the possibility of £1000 fine for not reporting and reportable illness, and the thought that if there was serious motor accident even after the consultant had cleared Mrs B, and the DVLA knew nothing about it I think the insurance company would not be interested in helping and the police would be very interested in prosecuting.

Sure, I was not suggesting that anyone unfit to drive should drive.

Only that they might stop driving and not self-report.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » January 17th, 2023, 8:24 pm

Sounds like it might be too late for Ray, but - if you meet the conditions - you can drive while waiting for your licence to be reissued. The relevant legislation is section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The main conditions are that the DVLA have received your application and that it is complete and correct (but how could you be sure?).

Full details are available in a document that can be downloaded from this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -with-dvla

HTH someone now or in the future,

Watis

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » January 18th, 2023, 12:40 pm

Hi Folks,
It gets better. The DVLA have now refunded the £17 we paid to get the licence reinstated. The £17, as I read it, was chargeable because Mrs B had to have a photocard licence instead of her original paper one.

But hey, who cares £17 refund is £17.

Ray.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 18th, 2023, 3:25 pm

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,
It gets better. The DVLA have now refunded the £17 we paid to get the licence reinstated. The £17, as I read it, was chargeable because Mrs B had to have a photocard licence instead of her original paper one.

Ray.

They'll probably send you a bhill for £17 for the photocard next week! LOL

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » January 19th, 2023, 8:59 am

Hi Folks,
raybarrow wrote:
Hi Folks,

Ray.

They'll probably send you a bhill for £17 for the photocard next week! LOL

Wouldn't surprise me at all. She has had a letter from DVLA confirming her new licence is on the way and noting that as she wears glasses she must make sure that she can meet the visual requirements to drive safely. What next I wonder?

Ray.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”