Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

The service that's not a service

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

The service that's not a service

Postby MyNameIsUrl » June 13th, 2023, 8:02 pm

I just phoned to book my car for its MOT and they wanted to do a service at the same time - I explained the service interval is 2 years or 18000miles and it wasn't due, but they said Ford recommend a service between services! But it's not really a service, they said when I asked if there would be an oil change, nothing would be changed or replaced. It's just a checkup apparently, at a cost of £135. Anybody else heard of this sort of thing?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: The service that's not a service

Postby AF62 » June 13th, 2023, 8:44 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Anybody else heard of this sort of thing?

Yes, pretty common with cars with extended service intervals like yours.

Theoretically it has an extended service interval because it is using hi-tech fancy oil in order to reduce costs, but then the manufacturer throws in these maintenance checks to give the dealers some work, plus an opportunity to earn sim extra cash by recommending replacing your wiper blades and anything else they find wrong.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 13th, 2023, 9:18 pm

They typically plug in a car OBD diagnostic write down the output and then wash the car for you.

You could just buy for own scan tool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ-75h8USyo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANCEL-AD410-En ... B071FSNL73

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 13th, 2023, 9:28 pm

Lanark wrote:… then wash the car for you.

Only if you don’t care about the bodywork.

Lanark wrote:You could just buy for own scan tool

Trouble is the warranty is usually linked to you having followed the required maintenance schedules which includes these non-service checks.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 13th, 2023, 10:48 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lanark wrote:… then wash the car for you.

Only if you don’t care about the bodywork.

Or the headlights...

The voice of experience. :x

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 13th, 2023, 11:00 pm

My van seems to decide for itself when a service is due. Can be as little as 12k miles or as many as 20k. A message on the dashboard usually tells me when it's decided a service is due.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » June 14th, 2023, 12:00 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I just phoned to book my car for its MOT and they wanted to do a service at the same time - I explained the service interval is 2 years or 18000miles and it wasn't due, but they said Ford recommend a service between services! But it's not really a service, they said when I asked if there would be an oil change, nothing would be changed or replaced. It's just a checkup apparently, at a cost of £135. Anybody else heard of this sort of thing?

Sounds like a complete racket but as electric car numbers increase, without the need for a conventional type of service, I guess it's the future of "servicing" for dealerships.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 14th, 2023, 12:44 am

Dicky99 wrote:
MyNameIsUrl wrote:I just phoned to book my car for its MOT and they wanted to do a service at the same time - I explained the service interval is 2 years or 18000miles and it wasn't due, but they said Ford recommend a service between services! But it's not really a service, they said when I asked if there would be an oil change, nothing would be changed or replaced. It's just a checkup apparently, at a cost of £135. Anybody else heard of this sort of thing?

Sounds like a complete racket but as electric car numbers increase, without the need for a conventional type of service, I guess it's the future of "servicing" for dealerships.

This seems unlikely. Brake pads, discs and tyres probably wear out more quickly on EVs than ICE vehicles due to all the extra weight. So routine servicing will always be necessary.

And swerving off topic slightly, I'll be impressed the day I see AI change a worn out set of brake discs and pads.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 14th, 2023, 7:55 am

Mike4 wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:

This seems unlikely. Brake pads, discs and tyres probably wear out more quickly on EVs than ICE vehicles due to all the extra weight. So routine servicing will always be necessary.

And swerving off topic slightly, I'll be impressed the day I see AI change a worn out set of brake discs and pads.

Tyres maybe but with regen braking the discs/hubs and pads should last longer.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 14th, 2023, 7:55 am

I've had Range Rovers for a number of years with 2 year service intervals. I've never been told I need a 'service' when taking the vehicle in just for an MOT test. I'm surprised at Ford trying this on because they are always talking about reducing the cost of ownership.

Why can't you take the car somewhere else for an MOT ?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 14th, 2023, 7:57 am

Mike4 wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:

Although tyres on EVs wear out more frequently than on ICE it is mainly due to the additional torque that is available so swapping tyres front to rear to even out the wear is common on EV services.

As for brake pads and discs, the opposite is true from your expectation - they get very little use at all since most braking is done using regen (although some manufacturers are now including a 'clean the brakes' mode to be activated periodically). That lack of use means that discs can rust and pads seize from lack of use, so checking that they are working is part of the service.

Also depending on the EV there are other things necessary that are not needed on ICE - my BEV needs the battery cooling fluid changed every three years.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » June 14th, 2023, 11:04 am

My wife has a Festa which is on 2 year service intervals. Last year she had an MOT and service. This year when she booked an MOT the dealer (Ford main dealer) wanted to sell her an emissions test at a cost of about £40. Er…. No, isn’t an emissions test part of the MOT?

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”