Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Defiantly different

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Defiantly different

Postby Clitheroekid » October 31st, 2023, 10:06 pm

I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone who meant to type `definitely' instead type `defiantly', but on this occasion I think the typo might be quite appropriate! ;)

I'd never heard of them, and I don't imagine we'll be seeing many in the UK any time soon - https://www.mitsuoka-motor.com/global/lineup/

Some of the prose accompanying the photos is hilarious. Though the site's a bit short on technical details ...

Anyway, a bit of light relief from the troubles of the world.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Defiantly different

Postby Redmires » November 1st, 2023, 12:08 am

They say that imitation is the sincerest from of flattery but Jaguar, Rolls Royce & Morgan won't be flattered by these. I thought they were cheap Chinese rip offs but it seems they are expensive Japanese rip offs. And there's a UK dealer as well

https://www.mitsuoka-motor.co.uk/roadster/

Luckily, they have none for sale ;)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 1st, 2023, 10:00 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone who meant to type `definitely' instead type `defiantly'

I've mused over this many times. I think it started off with auto-correct seeing a misspell of 'definitely' and 'correcting' it to 'defiantly'.

But nowadays I see it so often I've recently started wondering if with the evolution of language, the actual meaning of 'defiantly' is morphing to the same as 'definitely'. Its certainly easier to type!

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 1st, 2023, 10:16 am

Mike4 wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone who meant to type `definitely' instead type `defiantly'

I've mused over this many times. I think it started off with auto-correct seeing a misspell of 'definitely' and 'correcting' it to 'defiantly'.

But nowadays I see it so often I've recently started wondering if with the evolution of language, the actual meaning of 'defiantly' is morphing to the same as 'definitely'. Its certainly easier to type!

I think it's a 'feature' of the auto-correct algorithm.

Auto-correct on my phone likes to correct 'tomorrow' to 'gonorrhea'. So far, I've spotted it in time every time - I think!

Watis

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » November 1st, 2023, 10:28 am

It would be interesting to see auto correct deal with "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow" in Macbeth.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 1st, 2023, 10:37 am

Watis wrote:I think it's a 'feature' of the auto-correct algorithm.

Auto-correct on my phone likes to correct 'tomorrow' to 'gonorrhea'. So far, I've spotted it in time every time - I think!

Do you really mean that? That it changes a correctly spelled 'tomorrow' to 'gonorrhea'. I'd be very surprised.

Scott.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 1st, 2023, 10:46 am

swill453 wrote:

Do you really mean that? That it changes a correctly spelled 'tomorrow' to 'gonorrhea'. I'd be very surprised.

Scott.

I can't say I've had gonorrhea 8-) - but I can vouch for the fact that it takes reasonably likely and correctly spelled words and changes them to words which are highly unlikely, moreover, words which have a very low frequency in the history of what I type.
I annoys and puzzles me because the predictive on my Samsung doesn't seem to know quite common words - whereas my previous phones (all motorola) have been quite good.

Arb.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 1st, 2023, 10:59 am

Arborbridge wrote:I can't say I've had gonorrhea 8-) - but I can vouch for the fact that it takes reasonably likely and correctly spelled words and changes them to words which are highly unlikely, moreover, words which have a very low frequency in the history of what I type.
I annoys and puzzles me because the predictive on my Samsung doesn't seem to know quite common words - whereas my previous phones (all motorola) have been quite good.

Well I'll take your word for it, but I've never had that happen on any smart phone or tablet I've had, mostly Google, Motorola, Samsung and Huawei.

Scott.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 1st, 2023, 11:57 am

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Yes it really does make that spelling change.

I should add that I use the Swiftkey program when typing on my phone, so I swipe the keyboard rather than tapping the individual letters. It will be down to how the algorithm interprets my swipes into words.

I note that in my example, the 't' and the 'g' are adjacent, as are the 'n' and 'm' keys. So I may be part of the problem.

Watis

PS: I've now deleted that word beginning with 'g' from the words it can predict, so hopefully I won't experience that 'correction' again.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 1st, 2023, 5:14 pm

bluedonkey wrote:It would be interesting to see auto correct deal with "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow" in Macbeth.

You think that's a problem? King Lear's daughter Goneril would have no chance at all. ;)

BJ

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » November 1st, 2023, 5:30 pm

What can be worse that than?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 1st, 2023, 5:46 pm

CliffEdge wrote:What can be worse that than?

Methinks you have attempted to correct a typo in a post on another thread, but have inadvertently posted the sentence needing editing as a new post in this thread.

And the sentence is still not as you intended.

Watis

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 1st, 2023, 8:25 pm

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Given the rest of the quote it could work well as an advert for prophylaxis :)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 1st, 2023, 10:56 pm

This all reminds me of the old joke that the inventor of autocorrect died recently.

Apparently his funfair is on sundial.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”