Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Insurance quotes

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Insurance quotes

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2024, 2:42 pm

I had a surprise today getting quotes for a new company car that will be driven mainly by my wife.

I automatically used my usual small rodent comparison site that has me as main driver with Mrs RS as the additional. The cheapest quote was over £660 which I thought was a little pricey but I knew that insurance prices had increased.

Then I realised my mistake and switched to Mrs RS as main driver (it's her company car). All other details remained the same. Mrs RS and I both have clean licenses and no accidents for the last 5 years plus. The only difference is that she is 8 years younger than me. The resulting quote was £200 cheaper!

Iirc companies are not allowed to differentiate between men and women so it can only be our age difference that results in a 50% extra premium for me as main driver.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Insurance quotes

Postby bungeejumper » April 22nd, 2024, 5:29 pm

I think a lot of it comes down to how well you happen to fit the insurance company's target demographic - some are weighted toward drivers with particular characteristics (new drivers, elderly drivers, or certain professions).

And their actuaries' models WRT age groups can be obscure. I recall that Aviva trebled my wife's renewal quote, even though she had a clean licence, ten years without a claim and the same good address as last year. It was just that she'd passed a partcular birthday (fifties, so not ancient!), and they just didn't want her any more. They are entitled to do this. :( (She consulted the meerkat and easily got something substantially cheaper than her last policy.)

I was once refused a renewal by my existing insurer because I'd been working in Fleet Street, where as everybody knows, they're all lunchtime alcoholics. (Not any more, they're not. Too much pressure.) So I went to a local broker who got me a good quote - from the very same company that had just refused me. :lol:

"Have you ever been refused insurance," they asked me? "Oh yes," I said, "it was you." Fortunately they saw the funny side of it, and they took me on. But it did underline what a chaotic business the insurance industry is. Always expect the unexpected.

BJ

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 22nd, 2024, 11:02 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Then I realised my mistake and switched to Mrs RS as main driver (it's her company car). All other details remained the same.

Could it be that Mrs RS is the registered keeper of the car and they didn't like the main driver not being the RK?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 23rd, 2024, 8:43 am

chas49 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Then I realised my mistake and switched to Mrs RS as main driver (it's her company car). All other details remained the same.

Could it be that Mrs RS is the registered keeper of the car and they didn't like the main driver not being the RK?

Nope, its a lease car so the finance company are down as the registered owner/keeper.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » April 23rd, 2024, 4:51 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
chas49 wrote:

Nope, its a lease car so the finance company are down as the registered owner/keeper.

Years NCD?

Must admit prices seem all over place, incumbent (AA) quoted me over £500 for renewal for a 2011 Mini Countryman Diesel AWD, little bit of work (20 minutes) and Bank of Scotland offered same cover for circa £180, adding no claims protection shifted it to a mighty £199, so 40% of original renewal (16 years NCD helps)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 23rd, 2024, 5:15 pm

redsturgeon wrote:small rodent comparison site

Not a rodent, a mongoose and classified in their own family, Herpestidae
I heard again yesterday on the radio that sometimes insurance companies just do not want anymore of particular risk profile individuals on their books and price accordingly. I'd take it personally. At least once Shelia's Wheels were competitive for my cover though I didn't feel like I was their target audience.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 23rd, 2024, 5:20 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

Years NCD?

)

Both the same.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 23rd, 2024, 5:24 pm

Just went to revisit quotes and noticed the most expensive was a mere £4000+

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”