Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Petrol and diesel prices reach new record high

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Petrol and diesel prices reach new record high

Postby bungeejumper » February 27th, 2022, 5:53 pm

pje16 wrote:my local Esso (the one that takes the p*ss, mentioned before in this post)
has wasted no time in hiking the prices up
as of yesterday
1.589 for petrol
1.619 for diesel

The forgotten law of capitalism. If you run a shop that sells something, you don't sell it for your wholesale price plus a profit. You sell it for the expected wholesale price of your next delivery, plus a profit. :( If you don't do that, you'll be out of business in no time at all.

If fuel prices should fall during the coming months, that'll be down to factors that we can hardly predict at present. Such as Saudi Arabia opening up the supply taps. But otherwise, given the current trend of fuel prices, I'd say your local Esso is the one that's got its strategy right for its own long term survival. Many others will fail, unless they follow Esso's lead pretty sharpish. ;)

That said, if you can find a cheaper deal, go to it. You won't save the world by avoiding petrol stations that haven't thought things through yet. :roll:

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » February 27th, 2022, 6:09 pm

The only reason he survives is that the location is on a very busy section of the A1
however a tale of human stupidity
on the A1 about 50 miles north of London there is a roundabout with two garages where thge is there is often a significnat price difference
I have filled up there before and look over at the idiots paying far more just for the sake of a circling of the roundabout :roll:

The laws of capitalism ignore the foolish behaviour of some humans methinks :lol:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 27th, 2022, 6:20 pm

pje16 wrote:The only reason he survives is that the location is on a very busy section of the A1

Aha, my dear chap, why didn't you say so? So the Esso garage is in the profitable business of distress sales?

Of course, he's paying a higher rent than his competitors because of the location. And he's probably got a Tesco mini-mart and a cash machine and a decent coffee franchise, and a discount scheme for regular customers that evens out the differential for business users. But ultimately the differential factor is that many business travellers can't be @rsed to do things the cheapest way.

That being the case, though, his logic in charging higher prices than the competition is still faultless. ;)

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » February 27th, 2022, 6:33 pm

There are garages on the the way into central London that pay far higher rent then he (probably) does and they are cheaper than him
He is relying solely on stupidity... just look around you, there is a lot of it about :lol:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 1st, 2022, 8:29 am

Driving down the M3 last night, diesel @ £1.759p per litre.

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 1st, 2022, 8:52 am

I hope you drove straight past :lol:
This is a great site to see the cheapest fuel you can get
https://app.petrolprices.com/
Sign in (they don't spam you)
enter your post code and use filters as you see fit

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 1st, 2022, 11:07 am

Record here of petrol prices back to 1983. http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html
Hasn't been updated yet for 2022, but if we plug in 160p/litre for petrol and multiply it by the current RPI* of c325 that makes the price in constant terms 111.4, so an 11.4% real-terms increase since 1983.
As you can see, it has been higher in the past.....

Went to fill the Landy yesterday, no Ultimate at our local BP, just the E10 carp that I wouldn't even use in my lawnmower, but I was very low so I just put in a gallon and went on to an Esso where I have to admit I didn't notice the price.

V8

* the actual RPI seems to be confused on many sites with the inflation rate... I think the current RPI is about 325, but on a quick browse I can't find the actual figure....

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 1st, 2022, 11:30 am

88V8 wrote:Record here of petrol prices back to 1983. http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html
Hasn't been updated yet for 2022, but if we plug in 160p/litre for petrol and multiply it by the current RPI* of c325 that makes the price in constant terms 111.4, so an 11.4% real-terms increase since 1983.

Went to fill the Landy yesterday, no Ultimate at our local BP, just the E10 carp that I wouldn't even use in my lawnmower, but I was very low so I just put in a gallon and went on to an Esso where I have to admit I didn't notice the price.

V8

* the actual RPI seems to be confused on many sites with the inflation rate... I think the current RPI is about 325, but on a quick browse I can't find the actual figure....

==========================

i am using unleaded E10 .

no problems as far as i know.

what is wrong with E10 please ?

:)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 1st, 2022, 11:39 am

jackdaww wrote:
88V8 wrote:Record here of petrol prices back to 1983. http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html

V8

Not great for those who run ancient Landys but fine for the rest of us. :P

John

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » March 1st, 2022, 12:54 pm

“ what is wrong with E10 please ?”

Nothing intrinsically wrong unless you drive an elderly vehicle which may be damaged, but slightly lower mileage alas not reflected in the price.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » March 1st, 2022, 2:23 pm

jackdaww wrote:

V8

Also potentially not fine for vehicles and equipment laid up for long periods over winter. I extracted the e10 out of my motorbikes and replaced it with stabilised e5, which since it was Esso, should actually be e0.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 1st, 2022, 3:07 pm

jackdaww wrote:==========================

Generally, the biggest danger is cracks and leaks from older flexible fuel hoses that are made of materials that are not alcohol-resistant. The risk to life is from petrol being sprayed around in the engine compartment and igniting. Also, diaphragms in older fuel pumps may fail.

GOV.UK wrote:All new cars manufactured since 2011 are compatible with E10 petrol, and most cars and motorcycles manufactured since the late 1990s are also approved by manufacturers to use E10.

The following vehicles, however, may not be compatible with E10 petrol:

classic, cherished and older vehicles
some specific models, particularly those from the early 2000s
some mopeds, particularly those with an engine size of 50cc or under

You can check whether your vehicle is approved to use E10 petrol using our E10 vehicle checker, which covers cars, motorcycles and mopeds.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 1st, 2022, 5:16 pm

Just been to the local Sainsbury's.

On the way there I went along the A49 and across the A5 Junction, where I noticed the ESSO 'services'/Greggs/Garden Centre were 157.9 and 160.9 p/L for U/L and Diesel respectively.

At Sainsburys, which according to Google is 770 metres away (less as the crow flies) the prices were exactly 13p/L cheaper for both.

Or 60p/gallon in old money.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 1st, 2022, 5:59 pm

More proof as I have pointed out before is the Esso are a rip off
If we boycott them they might learn
but probably not :roll:

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 10th, 2022, 5:03 pm

pje16 wrote:bad news folks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60490749
my local Esso (the one that takes the p*ss, mentioned before in this post)
has wasted no time in hiking the prices up
as of yesterday
1.589 for petrol
1.619 for diesel
do I need to mention I never fill up there :roll:

Nearly fainted last night
The stealers price is now 178.9

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 10th, 2022, 6:28 pm

There's a very topical joke going round currently, along the lines:-

"Wine is now cheaper than petrol. Drink don't drive". :lol:

On the real topic, I wonder if this now makes a hybrid car more attractive and viable.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 10th, 2022, 10:17 pm

bungeejumper mentioned the forgotten law of capitalism. I am not sure his comment is entirely accurate. I think another apparently forgotten law is to charge what the market will bear. If the Esso petrol stations are the most expensive that may be and probably is because enough people will buy at their prices so that they can make a nice profit. As a matter of fact we have a couple of petrol pumps on our High Street attached to an old fashioned garage/workshop. By any measure the whole set up is an anachronism but not only that, they charge by a considerable margin the highest price in the surrounding 20/30 miles. The guy does not seem to sell a lot of petrol but what he does sell must be at a great profit. People buy it because he is on their doorstep and he fills their tank for them; no need for his customers to stoop to self service.

No point in complaining about the Esso example, just do not buy it if you do not like the price.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 11th, 2022, 4:35 am

Dod101 wrote:As a matter of fact we have a couple of petrol pumps on our High Street attached to an old fashioned garage/workshop. By any measure the whole set up is an anachronism but not only that, they charge by a considerable margin the highest price in the surrounding 20/30 miles. The guy does not seem to sell a lot of petrol but what he does sell must be at a great profit. People buy it because he is on their doorstep and he fills their tank for them; no need for his customers to stoop to self service.

They use him because
a) they have too much money
b) are too lazy to go elsewhere
c) don't mind being stitched up
but will defend it under the "I'm supporting a local business" banner

I just find it amazing that a lot of people work hard for their money but don't mind throwing it away
but hey ho, it takes all sorts :roll:

I can comment about Esso, or rather that one who is out of step with the other Esso garages in the area, but I certainly do not go there

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 11th, 2022, 8:13 am

pje16 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:As a matter of fact we have a couple of petrol pumps on our High Street attached to an old fashioned garage/workshop. By any measure the whole set up is an anachronism but not only that, they charge by a considerable margin the highest price in the surrounding 20/30 miles. The guy does not seem to sell a lot of petrol but what he does sell must be at a great profit. People buy it because he is on their doorstep and he fills their tank for them; no need for his customers to stoop to self service.

They use him because
a) they have too much money
b) are too lazy to go elsewhere
c) don't mind being stitched up
but will defend it under the "I'm supporting a local business" banner

I just find it amazing that a lot of people work hard for their money but don't mind throwing it away
but hey ho, it takes all sorts :roll:

I can comment about Esso, or rather that one who is out of step with the other Esso garages in the area, but I certainly do not go there

Indeed. What you say is I think basically true. My spot is an affluent area where most of the cars which frequent this garage (from my observation at least) tend to be driven either by little old ladies in perfectly respectable cars or young mothers with their SUVs, or maybe someone who is just running out of fuel.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 11th, 2022, 8:30 am

I don't know how many drivers are still in company cars with paid-for petrol. But when I was in that situation, for 10 years, I literally paid no attention to the pump price, and would fill up wherever was most convenient for me. Motorway service stations held no fear.

Wouldn't dream of not shopping around now, or making a point of filling up when at the supermarket.

Scott.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”