Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

marketing electric cars

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: marketing electric cars

Postby Howard » November 25th, 2019, 7:57 pm

MonsterMork wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
More importantly what did you think of the cars mechanically, good build? Holding up well at three years? Any points of failure?

John

Yes, seemed to be holding up well. Bear in mind that even though they run on electrickery, so no proper engine in them, the rest of the vehicle is the same as any other car out there, so the usual problems of steering, brakes, suspension etc will no doubt rear their head in the fullness of time.

I must point out, however, that even though they were four and five years old they were very low mileage, less than 18k each if memory serves, so really had probably been doing town driving and not much else (no doubt due to a lack of charging points). One thing to note for potential future BMW I3 owners is that tyres would appear to be a dodgy I3 only size*, so your retail tyre barn will be unlikely to have any in stock for immediate while-you-wait fitment.

MM

*not absolutely sure of this, but I cannot recall seeing any other cars on 155/70R19 cart wheels ...

I agree with your comments about driving the i3. I was lent a virtually new one as a courtesy car overnight and didn't like the feel of the car driving at 70mph on a motorway. The car was nowhere near as stable as a 3 series at speed, it wandered a bit, perhaps because of the very thin tyres.

And the controls were unnecessarily "weird".

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: marketing electric cars

Postby BobbyD » November 26th, 2019, 1:06 am

MonsterMork wrote:Yes, seemed to be holding up well. Bear in mind that even though they run on electrickery, so no proper engine in them, the rest of the vehicle is the same as any other car out there, so the usual problems of steering, brakes, suspension etc will no doubt rear their head in the fullness of time.

The brakes should get a lot less wear and tear if the regen is any good.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”