Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Service book

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
cinelli
Lemon Slice

Service book

Postby cinelli » December 18th, 2019, 10:46 am

How important is the car service history book? Every time I take my car in for a service, I make sure the book is rubber stamped. Then in due course, this will be passed on to the new owner. Well because of a mix up with a similar car being serviced on the same day, my garage has lost my book. Does it matter?

Thanks.

Cinelli

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Service book

Postby bungeejumper » December 18th, 2019, 11:18 am

If it's dealer service stamps that you've lost, the manufacturer can probably help with a replacement, because it'll have its own records on what's happened to your car since it was new, identifiable by its VIN. If, however, it's an indy garage, all bets are likely to be off.

I'd be hopping mad if I were you. Another strong case for always hanging onto every garage receipt, though. :|

BJ

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » December 18th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Yes, I'd be hopping mad too.

Depending on what sort of relationship you have with the garage I'd be tempted to ask for compensation. There is no doubt that your car will be more difficult to sell and/or fetch a lower price if you are unable to supply a service history.

To get an idea of what the cost could be just enter your car details into webuyanycar.com, once with the Full Service History box ticked and then with the No Service History box ticked and compare the prices offered.

Personally, I wouldn't think about even going to look at a car to buy if it didn't have a service history. But I would be happy with a sheaf of all the garage invoices if those were available.

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » December 18th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Phew! Panic over. The book turned up. But the information you have given is very valuable. Thank you.

Cinelli

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 18th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Keep the service book in your possession next time the car goes in for service. When you pick the car up ask them to update the book or just staple the invoice into the book so it doesn't get lost.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”