Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Petrol prices - cheaper than a decade ago

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Petrol prices - cheaper than a decade ago

Postby AF62 » March 22nd, 2020, 9:17 am

Yesterday I did something I never thought I would do again; buy petrol at 99.9p a litre (at Costco).

Since petrol is a byproduct of refining crude that you can't fail to produce if you want to continue to run the refineries and produce the rest of the products which are needed (stopping a refinery is hard and expensive, and re-configuring to produce less petrol is even more so), then given the shenanigans going on between the oil producing countries and the lack of people buying because of the lock-down, then there is a view that the barrel price of petrol could fall to zero.

Obviously the excise duty on fuel (plus VAT) stops it going below 69p a litre unless someone wants to sell at a loss, but I wonder how low the petrol price will go.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Petrol prices - cheaper than a decade ago

Postby Dod101 » March 22nd, 2020, 9:29 am

Holders of Shell had better enjoy tomorrow's dividend because Shell must be losing money hand over fist at the moment and I cannot see how they can avoid at least a cut if this continues.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

Snorvey wrote:Obviously the excise duty on fuel (plus VAT) stops it going below 69p a litre unless someone wants to sell at a loss, but I wonder how low the petrol price will go.

Isn't government taxation a % of the base price of petrol? There for 80% tax (say) of £zero is...errrrr.....zero?

So maybe we can all look forward to free petrol - for a while at least. Time to buy 'What V8' magazine :-)

No, fuel duty is a straightforward 57.95 pence per litre, with VAT of 20% on top of the net price (cost of goods including the fuel duty), so tax on tax, but that is another story - https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/fuel-duty

So even if a barrel of petrol goes into a negative price in the refinery because they have nowhere to store it and it keeps coming out the pipe, the government will still get their money when it is sold.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 22nd, 2020, 4:24 pm

AF62 wrote:No, fuel duty is a straightforward 57.95 pence per litre, with VAT of 20% on top of the net price (cost of goods including the fuel duty), so tax on tax, but that is another story

Even if fuel duty was a percentage, then it would more correctly be stated as (something like) 150% to 200%. Because for VAT for example we say it's 20% on top of the net amount.

Scott.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”