Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

MoT and what to do for now

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: MoT and what to do for now

Postby MonsterMork » April 1st, 2020, 7:44 pm

swill453 wrote:So there's going to be a six month period April-September next year (and every following year*) when very few MOTs will come due. How will MOT stations handle that?

* - eventually newer cars will come due, spread throughout the year.

Scott.

How will we handle it? To be honest, we won't. As mentioned in my previous post I reckon 10% of garages will be gone once the fallout from this lot settles. Quite possible that by October 2021 another 10% will be gone. Then come October and all the MoT's start coming due you won't be able to find one for love nor money, all the slots will be taken and there will be fewer test stations still around. No more cheapo deals on MoT prices, supply and demand takes over and it will be full price £54.80 only. Those who want to will be open at 6 in the morning and shut at 12 at night just to ram them all in - maybe, if they can find the staff willing to work stupid hours for poo pay (in our industry wages can be on a par with the lower end of eff-all, which is pretty miffing when you are keeping vehicles safe).

SlaveMork

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » April 1st, 2020, 8:17 pm

With everyone urged to only drive to the shops, and officious police introducing roadblocks in the North, I'm sure everyone is thinking they can defer work on their car for a few months. DoT should have allowed MOTs (and the servicing many people do with them to continue), as the number of trips is trivial compared with the number of shopping trips.

But no Government department had a contingency plan for anything like this, not any business. There seems very little "rainy day" planning or reserves anywhere nowadays.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 1st, 2020, 10:30 pm

It seems to me that the current "fix" is a nightmare, because as Scott has pointed out, EVERY car on the road will need to be tested September->March, with absolutely zero April->August. A total nightmare for the industry.

A much better solution would have been to push EVERY cars' mot date 6 months further into the future as a one-off. But I bet they can't do that now as they have already bodged the database to change the upcoming summer tests. :roll:

BTW: They HAD to update the database quick, or the ANPR cameras would have been sending out auto penalty notices.

Mine's due (was due) in May. Think I'll just go as normal. Several small garages around here.

Gryff

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 1st, 2020, 11:01 pm

Maybe they'll have to give a 6 month extension to the Oct-Mar expiries, to even it up.

Scott.

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Postby RedSnapper » April 2nd, 2020, 10:28 am

gryffron wrote:It seems to me that the current "fix" is a nightmare, because as Scott has pointed out, EVERY car on the road will need to be tested September->March, with absolutely zero April->August. A total nightmare for the industry.

A much better solution would have been to push EVERY cars' mot date 6 months further into the future as a one-off. But I bet they can't do that now as they have already bodged the database to change the upcoming summer tests. :roll:

The .gov guidance says that the legislation (which I cannot find) "....will be introduced on 30 March 2020 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months, following a short consultation with key organisations."

So surely they are intending to just push every MOT forward by six months over the next year....everything evens out.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 2nd, 2020, 12:41 pm

RedSnapper wrote:...the legislation (which I cannot find)...

Found it for you.

The Motor Vehicles (Tests) (Amendment) (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020
UK Statutory Instruments 2020 No. 382
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... tents/made

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 6th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Have only just seen the recent posts here.

My interpretation of the regulations linked above is:

For 12 months from 31 March 2020 (up to and incl) 31 March 2021, all vehicles with MOT expiry dates during that period are exempt from the need to have a test for six months from the date of expiry (unless they had a test within the preceding six months)

For the purposes of making the website and ANPR etc work, they've actually changed the expiry dates, but that's not what the law actually says. The effect is the same. And as far as I can see it means that (unless people choose to get MOTs done early for other reasons post-lockdown), everyone is pushed forward by six months so there shouldn't be a significant peak in MOTs being done in September onwards

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » May 20th, 2020, 11:48 pm

My MOT is due beginning of June. I expect I’ll get the 6 months added on. I’d much rather get it mot and serviced at the usual time though. I could also do with some new tyres. Will there be anywhere open to do this or do I just have to wait impatiently?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 21st, 2020, 12:35 am

JessUK98 wrote: Will there be anywhere open to do this or do I just have to wait impatiently?

My local independent service centre and MoT station had been in lock-down since the restrictions were first put in place, though they were working from home to answer the phone. I asked them to let me know when they re-opened, they phoned me last week after the restrictions were eased to say that they were open for business again.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » May 21st, 2020, 1:19 am

I have a vehicle, first registered 28th March 2017.

It was due to go for a service and MOT, but my chosen garage closed before this was done. As I understand it, the MOT extension is for vehicles needing an MOT on or after 30th March, so I assume I am currently "out of MOT" and the only trip I can legally make is to drive to a pre-booked MOT test?

(The vehicle is currently taxed and insured.)

VRD

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » May 21st, 2020, 7:44 am

vrdiver wrote:I have a vehicle, first registered 28th March 2017.

It was due to go for a service and MOT, but my chosen garage closed before this was done. As I understand it, the MOT extension is for vehicles needing an MOT on or after 30th March, so I assume I am currently "out of MOT" and the only trip I can legally make is to drive to a pre-booked MOT test?

VRD

That would be my guess. Go to the gov mot checker, should show there?

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » May 21st, 2020, 9:52 am

JessUK98 wrote:

VRD

When I put the registration into the checker*, I get the message: MOT - No details held by DVLA rather than a statement that it has expired or been extended. Frustrating, as it could mean the three year period before first MOT being required has been extended, or not!

VRD

*https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 21st, 2020, 9:57 am

vrdiver wrote:When I put the registration into the checker*, I get the message: MOT - No details held by DVLA rather than a statement that it has expired or been extended. Frustrating, as it could mean the three year period before first MOT being required has been extended, or not!

VRD

You're covered by this guide I think https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020 which contains
You must not drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT or vehicle tax has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.

The only exceptions are if you are driving it:

to or from somewhere to be repaired
to a pre-arranged MOT test

Scott.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » May 21st, 2020, 10:02 am

vrdiver wrote:
JessUK98 wrote:

VRD

When I put the registration into the checker*, I get the message: MOT - No details held by DVLA rather than a statement that it has expired or been extended. Frustrating, as it could mean the three year period before first MOT being required has been extended, or not!

VRD

This site: https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... us-crisis/

- advises that the six month extension applies to 3 year old cars due their first MOT.

Watis

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 21st, 2020, 10:22 am

Watis wrote:This site: https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... us-crisis/

- advises that the six month extension applies to 3 year old cars due their first MOT.

Only if they turn 3 from 30 March. Vrdiver's car was before that.

Scott.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » May 21st, 2020, 10:34 am

swill453 wrote:
Watis wrote:This site: https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... us-crisis/

Only if they turn 3 from 30 March. Vrdiver's car was before that.

Scott.

Well spotted and apologies to vrdiver.

But I hope the info remains useful to others looking for similar guidance.

Watis

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » May 21st, 2020, 11:00 am

My VW T25 Devon Camper was first registered on 23rd April 1980. Its MOT expires on June 1st. Therefore it can be MOT less until January 1st 2021. Its SORN at present so I intend to tax it for the Summer if travel restrictions are lifted and SORN it again at the end of October until April 23rd 2021 and then register it as a Historic Vehicle with a VED of £0.

I think I have got that correct?

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » May 21st, 2020, 3:55 pm

JessUK98 wrote:My MOT is due beginning of June. I expect I’ll get the 6 months added on. I’d much rather get it mot and serviced at the usual time though. I could also do with some new tyres. Will there be anywhere open to do this or do I just have to wait impatiently?

Yes, plenty of places open, if you have a regular place then chances are they will be able to help as usual.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » May 21st, 2020, 3:58 pm

VRD

Correct, only driving to (and from, assuming no "dangerous" fails) a pre-booked MoT is acceptable. As your date of first use is before 30 March 2017, even though only by 2 days, you miss out on the extension applying so you still need to present the vehicle for its first test :(

TesterMork

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » May 21st, 2020, 4:18 pm

tea42 wrote:My VW T25 Devon Camper was first registered on 23rd April 1980. Its MOT expires on June 1st. Therefore it can be MOT less until January 1st 2021. Its SORN at present so I intend to tax it for the Summer if travel restrictions are lifted and SORN it again at the end of October until April 23rd 2021 and then register it as a Historic Vehicle with a VED of £0.

I think I have got that correct?

Almost right. Your 6 month MoT extension will expire 1st December, and not 1st January. You can register as a historic vehicle today should you so wish, as it is now over 40 years old - waiting until 23 April 2021 would make it 41 years old.

Even though a vehicle may become exempt from MoT rules I would strongly advise getting one anyway. The onus of the law changes to point the finger of blame at the driver in the event of an incident involving an exempt vehicle - the rule of a vehicle being required to be in a roadworthy condition applies with or without an MoT, however most owners of exempt vehicles are unlikely to be able to state with some element of professional opinion as to the condition of a vehicle. Getting an MoT shows that an exempt vehicle has been properly assessed at some stage in its life, a handy little get out of jail free card to hold up ones sleeve.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”