Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Road tax

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Paupertas
Lemon Pip

Road tax

Postby Paupertas » April 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am

Just paid £475 to tax a car that I can hardly drive due to the restrictions :(

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Road tax

Postby DrFfybes » April 22nd, 2020, 10:28 am

Really? - I've never paid it.

I did get nearly £400 VED refunded the other week on MrsF's car though ;)

TBH the rules are now so complicated I have no idea how bands are calculated on newer vehicles, and how they will change over time with the first year rates, expensive vehicle summplements, 5 year increases, supplement if you register a car on a Sunday, etc.

I assume yours is the £150 second year rate for a petrol or diesel that meets RDE, plus the £325 extra for costing over £40k list? Does this mean cars under £40k list are all £150 from year 2 onwards, irrespective of emissions, kind of negates the "penalise to pollutors" ethos that drove the changes in the first place.

A perfect example of how to overcomplicate a system.

Paul

Paupertas
Lemon Pip

Postby Paupertas » April 22nd, 2020, 11:39 am

I've given up trying to understand how all of this works.

I even get a statement for the road tax for £465 and when I go on-line it is £475.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 23rd, 2020, 7:42 pm

Apologies this is just my autiistic brain talking really but I cant let it alone.

Please do not use the term "road tax". It hasn't existed since 1937, and today is VED based on C02 emissions. I appreciate we are all grown ups here and can tell the nuace but perpetiual use of this term in general disucssion only fuels the prejudices of some who still believe "road tax" gives them some sort of superiotory over other road users who pay £0 (though interestingly they seem to forget that some VED for 4 wheel vehicles with an engine is actually £0 )

I'll get me coat now and you can all ignore me - my autistic nature has been assuaged now :-)

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 23rd, 2020, 7:53 pm

didds wrote:Apologies this is just my autiistic brain talking really but I cant let it alone.

Please do not use the term "road tax". It hasn't existed since 1937, and today is VED based on C02 emissions. I appreciate we are all grown ups here and can tell the nuace but perpetiual use of this term in general disucssion only fuels the prejudices of some who still believe "road tax" gives them some sort of superiotory over other road users who pay £0 (though interestingly they seem to forget that some VED for 4 wheel vehicles with an engine is actually £0 )

I'll get me coat now and you can all ignore me - my autistic nature has been assuaged now :-)

Your point was addressed more subtly in the first line of the first reply. But maybe it needed a bit more bluntness :-)

Scott.

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » April 23rd, 2020, 7:53 pm

didds wrote:Apologies this is just my autiistic brain talking really but I cant let it alone.

didds

Not quite, well not for new vehicles. The current VED system, in use since April 2017 is based mainly on the value of the vehicle after the first year*. There are several legacy systems in still use for older vehicles, some of which take into account CO2 emissions but not the current system. How does your nature cope with self inflicted inaccuracy ;-)

* I admit I edited this bit since I too was a bit wide of the mark lol.
Last edited by Padders72 on April 23rd, 2020, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » April 23rd, 2020, 7:56 pm

Of course the daft government changed it to only charge a variable emissions based VED in the first year for cars registered after 2017, its a flat rate irrespective of emissions thereafter, unless you have an electric one.

My pre-2017 car costs me £20 pa, a new car with similar emissions would be £150.

And I still call it road tax.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”