Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Tempting ...

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tempting ...

Postby Clitheroekid » June 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:It’s a lovely looking car but £200k?

If you’re gonna pose, you might as well buy a brand new Ferrari for that money.

I’d think the typical buyer for an E-type like this is very different from the buyer of a new Ferrari.

Although many Ferraris are no doubt bought by genuine enthusiasts many more are bought by people who just want to show off.

Their design compliments that desire - they are mostly quite dramatic looking and shout “look at me”. Whilst they invoke envy they also attract a lot of negativity from people who resent the conspicuous display of wealth.

So even if you’re a genuine enthusiast you need a fairly ’robust’ personality not to care about the image you’re portraying.

The E-type and similar classics are far more restrained, and although they certainly draw a lot of attention it tends to be far more appreciative - possibly helped by the fact that most people have no idea how valuable they are.

But unless bought purely as an investment I would think that people who own cars like the E-type would have to be real car enthusiasts, as there would otherwise be no explanation for paying £200k for a car that’s 60 years out of date, and in performance terms could easily be trounced by a Golf GTI!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tempting ...

Postby Breelander » June 20th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:...unless bought purely as an investment I would think that people who own cars like the E-type would have to be real car enthusiasts, as there would otherwise be no explanation for paying £200k for a car that’s 60 years out of date, and in performance terms could easily be trounced by a Golf GTI!

Not if you buy the E-Type Reborn direct from Jaguar....

There’s an important difference. A restomod is a classic car blessed with modern engineering; better to drive than the original ever was but ideologically and mechanically a hybrid. A continuation is a brand new car built to the original specification. And a Reborn Jaguar ... is an old E-Type so perfectly and accurately restored that, for a few subtle and invisible tweaks, it might have just landed from 1965.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-revie ... rn-e-type/

Go on, treat yourself. You know you want one. A bargain at £295,000. :twisted:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”