Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Past Fool mystery

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
swill453
Lemon Half

Past Fool mystery

Postby swill453 » July 1st, 2020, 7:35 pm

Remember there was a long-running question on TMF about mini cars seen on a motorway with wooden boards mounted on their roofs? After a long time it was solved by someone revealing it was for testing aerofoils used in motorsport.

I don't think it's been discussed here, though I may be wrong.

Well it's just been featured on today's One Show in the bit about Formula 1. They even had a photo of the minivan:

Scott.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Past Fool mystery

Postby Redmires » July 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm

Maybe you mean a different post but I remember this one as I was a contributor to it. The cars were Volkswagen Polo's and were frequently spotted on the M56 around Chester in the late 80's and early 90's. The boards were mounted perpendicular to the roof, not parallel, as though they were designed to create drag. I think the outcome was that the cars were used for fuel efficiency testing, being based at or near the Stanlow Refinery.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 1st, 2020, 8:14 pm

Redmires wrote:Maybe you mean a different post but I remember this one as I was a contributor to it. The cars were Volkswagen Polo's and were frequently spotted on the M56 around Chester in the late 80's and early 90's. The boards were mounted perpendicular to the roof, not parallel, as though they were designed to create drag. I think the outcome was that the cars were used for fuel efficiency testing, being based at or near the Stanlow Refinery.

OK you're probably right. It reminded me of it, but obviously I have the detail wrong.

Scott.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 1st, 2020, 8:31 pm

swill453 wrote:Remember there was a long-running question on TMF about mini cars seen on a motorway with wooden boards mounted on their roofs? After a long time it was solved by someone revealing it was for testing aerofoils used in motorsport.

I don't think it's been discussed here, though I may be wrong.

Well it's just been featured on today's One Show in the bit about Formula 1. They even had a photo of the minivan:

Scott.

Looks to me as though Michael Caine involved in this trial...

:lol:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”