Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mortimer Road (Penistone-Strines) Closure?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DiviLuvva

Mortimer Road (Penistone-Strines) Closure?

Postby DiviLuvva » July 6th, 2020, 8:49 am

A bit of local knowledge sought from those South Yorkshire-based: does anyone know if you can get through the road closure in the Ewden/Agden Valley area, or for how long the closure will go on?

(The lovely road is on my usual route to my mother's in West Yorkshire from my home in Macclesfield.
Outbound yesterday - first time since lockdown - at Thornseat I was diverted down to Low Bradfield, then up to high Bradfield. I lost the diversion signs and ended up on almost cart-tracks around Ewden Village and Bolsterstone. I eventually emerged at Midhopestones.
Intending to return home via the Woodhead Pass, I found that closed at Flouch Roundabout - no mention by Sally Traffic - and so decided to go all the way down to Hillsborough to take the Rivelin Valley road and A57 to Ladybower. Phew!)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Mortimer Road (Penistone-Strines) Closure?

Postby bungeejumper » July 6th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Can't help much, sorry, but can I just say what a splendid group of place names you've listed there? Thornseat, Flouch Roundabout, Sally Traffic. (I think I went out with her sister once.) As for Penistone Strines, I think there are some pills you can take these days. ;)

The Google traffic map (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Unite ... 73!5m1!1e1) should give you an idea as to which roads are open. Hope it helps.

BJ

DiviLuvva

Postby DiviLuvva » July 6th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Thanks for the amusing reply BJ.

Here's the road on the approach to the Strines Inn: https://tinyurl.com/y9ubup8f

It's near the S Yorkshire/Derbyshire border in the Peak District to the west of Sheffield: https://tinyurl.com/yd5l8wpo

I've got more names nearby: Wigtwizzle, Waldershaigh, Foulstone Delf, Duke of Norfolk's Road.

Apparently the road closure a bit further on near Agden Bridge is due to gas main work. I've worked out my own detour around Agden reservoir if it's still on at my next trip.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 6th, 2020, 1:26 pm

If you mean the road between Flouch Roundabout and Woodhead, the Google map shows the roadworks but it suggests that traffic is getting through with minor delays. Any colour other than white is reassuring when you zoom in.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Unite ... 73!5m1!1e1

These Google maps are usually bang up to the minute, so it should be OK. Maybe you just happened to arrive on the day when the earth moving equipment was being moved into place, or when they were ripping up some precipitous area with no passing places? That happened to us last year in the Yorkshire Dales, where the main (and only) road north of Kettlewell was closed for four days at 24 hours' notice. The dustcarts, the police cars, the milk tankers, and worst of all the brewery lorries couldn't get anywhere. Councils, don't you just love them?

BJ

DiviLuvva

Postby DiviLuvva » July 6th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Yes, on my return journey.

There were barriers across the entire road to Woodhead Pass at the A628/A616 roundabout, with vans/lorries parked on the other side. Looked a no-go. There wasn't much coming north up the A616 as I went down towards Stocksbridge and Deepcar, so I suppose they were diverting further south.

I'm looking forward to (electric assisted) cycling soon up north of Kettlewell, through Hubberholme, Yockenthwaite, Oughtershaw and over the top to Wensleydale. Back via Kidstones and down La Cote de Cray.

Hope either the White Lion, Cray or The George, Hubberholme are open for business soon, plus The Racehorses for an overnight stay or two.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 6th, 2020, 3:42 pm

DiviLuvva wrote:Hope either the White Lion, Cray or The George, Hubberholme are open for business soon, plus The Racehorses for an overnight stay or two.

We were at Buckden last summer, barely a mile from Cray and Hubberholme. Happy to inform that the major roadworks were happening at Cray, so with luck they won't need to do it again for the foreseeable future.

The White Lion is second-mortgage territory these days. :shock: The George is as honest-to-goodness wonderful as ever (JB Priestley called Hubberholme "the 'smallest, pleasantest place in the world"). The Racehorses was a bit tired, and so were the menu and the beer. Delightful walking, though.

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 6th, 2020, 7:45 pm

DiviLuvva wrote:A bit of local knowledge sought from those South Yorkshire-based: does anyone know if you can get through the road closure in the Ewden/Agden Valley area, or for how long the closure will go on?

(The lovely road is on my usual route to my mother's in West Yorkshire from my home in Macclesfield.
Outbound yesterday - first time since lockdown - at Thornseat I was diverted down to Low Bradfield, then up to high Bradfield. I lost the diversion signs and ended up on almost cart-tracks around Ewden Village and Bolsterstone. I eventually emerged at Midhopestones.
Intending to return home via the Woodhead Pass, I found that closed at Flouch Roundabout - no mention by Sally Traffic - and so decided to go all the way down to Hillsborough to take the Rivelin Valley road and A57 to Ladybower. Phew!)

Flouch roundabout??

{google maps] - bloody hell, it is. Last time I was there it was a crossroads when i was communting from Saddleworth Morr to Sheffield. I do know the Woodhead was closed over the weekend as we came up from Chester to my mum's near Holmfirth and the m/wat signs were warning of it.

FWIW even if you can physically drive through, if the road is closed you can get prosecuted for it, even at 10pm when everyone local is ignoring it because the workmen have all gone home and the local bobby's brother lives on the closure and had a slow night.

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”