Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The new Menace.

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: The new Menace.

Postby AF62 » July 17th, 2020, 8:34 pm

swill453 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
richlist wrote:On both my Mercedes & my Range Rover, turning off the start /stop allows me to stop on the footbrake, activate the electronic handbrake and release the footbrake. The result is car stopped, engine running, no brake lights. When the traffic lights turn green I just squeeze the accelerator and the electronic brake automatically releases.

Sounds like a lot of needless faff to do all that.

No faff at all. Stop at lights, flip a switch. That's it.

(My automatic Astra is the same).

Scott.

Or stop at lights and do nothing. Then drive off still doing nothing.

Hmm, let’s think is having to do something more faff than doing nothing.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 17th, 2020, 8:41 pm

AF62 wrote:
swill453 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Sounds like a lot of needless faff to do all that.

No faff at all. Stop at lights, flip a switch. That's it.

(My automatic Astra is the same).

Scott.

Or stop at lights and do nothing. Then drive off still doing nothing.

Hmm, let’s think is having to do something more faff than doing nothing.

The least faff of all is to drive an older vehicle without all this stupidity!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 17th, 2020, 8:41 pm

AF62 wrote:Or stop at lights and do nothing. Then drive off still doing nothing.

Which is what you always used to be able to do in an automatic since time immemorial. Where's the progress?

Oh, you want to lift your foot off the brake pedal? What a faff!

:-) :-)

Scott.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 17th, 2020, 9:19 pm

swill453 wrote:
AF62 wrote:Or stop at lights and do nothing. Then drive off still doing nothing.

Which is what you always used to be able to do in an automatic since time immemorial. Where's the progress?

Oh, you want to lift your foot off the brake pedal? What a faff!

:-) :-)

Scott.

Exactly. Why would you want the faff of keeping your foot on the brake.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 23rd, 2020, 8:59 am

feder1 wrote:I,m sure that lots of drivers have had someone pile into the back of them when sitting at traffic lights because their brake light wasn,t on.

I have seen an unladen lorry skidding hard into the back of the car on my right at lights.

It seems to be a basic safe way of getting the car behind you to take their eyes off what they are playing with and look ahead in front them in order to brake in a controlled way.

You have the option of applying the brakes if you see something approaching from behind, in fact that is probably safer as your lights will come on, alerting the driver that has not spotted the line of stationary traffic nor the large red lights stuck on poles 9 feet in the air. Of course if the first thing you do when you stop is check your texts instead of your mirror then that is another issue covered under "natural selection" :)

The point is you should have a choice of whether or not to illuminate your brake lights, it is something you should be able to control. They serve a purpose - if you want the stopped car to be more visible you can press the brake pedal repeatedly to flash the brake lights, turn on or flash sidelights, turn on rear fog lights, turn on hazard lights.

Brake lights were implemented to inform following drivers that a vehicle was slowing down. Parking lights are for when they are stopped.

Paul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 23rd, 2020, 1:45 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
feder1 wrote:I,m sure that lots of drivers have had someone pile into the back of them when sitting at traffic lights because their brake light wasn,t on.

I have seen an unladen lorry skidding hard into the back of the car on my right at lights.

It seems to be a basic safe way of getting the car behind you to take their eyes off what they are playing with and look ahead in front them in order to brake in a controlled way.

You have the option of applying the brakes if you see something approaching from behind, in fact that is probably safer as your lights will come on, alerting the driver that has not spotted the line of stationary traffic nor the large red lights stuck on poles 9 feet in the air. Of course if the first thing you do when you stop is check your texts instead of your mirror then that is another issue covered under "natural selection" :)

The point is you should have a choice of whether or not to illuminate your brake lights, it is something you should be able to control. They serve a purpose - if you want the stopped car to be more visible you can press the brake pedal repeatedly to flash the brake lights, turn on or flash sidelights, turn on rear fog lights, turn on hazard lights.

Brake lights were implemented to inform following drivers that a vehicle was slowing down. Parking lights are for when they are stopped.

Paul

Wouldn’t “parking lights” be for when they are umm... parked? Not something most people do at traffic lights.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”