Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Car Jump Start

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Car Jump Start

Postby staffordian » August 3rd, 2020, 12:24 pm

Mike4 wrote:
staffordian wrote:
And batteries for cars with start-stop tech are of a different kind to the old ones

That's interesting. As a battery geek I didn't know that. What kind are they then? Do you know please?

Thanks.

Mike, they are AGM batteries, absorbent gel matting, whatever that means. Probably still a type of lead acid, but dearer :)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 3rd, 2020, 12:30 pm

staffordian wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
staffordian wrote:
And batteries for cars with start-stop tech are of a different kind to the old ones

That's interesting. As a battery geek I didn't know that. What kind are they then? Do you know please?

Thanks.

Mike, they are AGM batteries, absorbent gel matting, whatever that means. Probably still a type of lead acid, but dearer :)

Oh right, thanks. Yes that's a particular sub-type of physical construction of a lead acid battery. The sulphuric acid electrolyte is in jelly format rather than a liquid. Curiously, fussier about charging than an ordinary lead acid with liquid electrolyte, and yes much more expensive and easily wrecked by inadequate charging! Their main benefit is they can be used in any orientation - on their side, upside down, etc, and are not necessarily cuboid in shape.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 3rd, 2020, 1:08 pm

My battery charger differentiates between standard, stop/start & lithium batteries requiring the correct selection before starting the charging process.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 3rd, 2020, 1:18 pm

staffordian wrote:Mike, they are AGM batteries, absorbent gel matting, whatever that means.

LOL, and there was I thinking you only needed them once a year. :lol:

BJ

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm

Paupertas wrote:
As my car has been relatively inactive since Covid kicked in, I bought one of these a while ago...

Hi staffordian - that's exactly the one that I have. I'll just have to use it a bit more I think!

During the more severe lockdown a couple of months ago I addressed a similar problem to yours by ordering "click and collect" from a large Tesco ten miles away.

At 70 mph on the dual carriageway the car was soon fully charged. The large Tesco I chose was very well-organised and on several visits we never had to wait more than a few minutes. The staff were excellent, just asked us to pop open the boot, they loaded the car and shut it and we sped off. They even called me "Sir" :) . It took less time than wandering around our local Tesco and was much "safer".

Now we go out for the occasional picnic and achieve the same exercise for the car.

regards

Howard

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”