Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Best car for potholes

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Best car for potholes

Postby DrFfybes » October 21st, 2020, 12:51 pm

langley59 wrote: I think the time has come for me to drive a vehicle more suited to the dreadful road surfaces which plague this country, even on the motorways. I currently drive a large Mercedes saloon. I'm thinking of either a large SUV with big chunky wheels and a windscreen which is higher up or a (reliable) old banger which won't bother me so much if it gets wrecked. Thoughts?

As others have said - small wheels with large sidewalls are better than big ones with low profile tyres. Rubber sidewalls absorb bumps and rebound much better than alloy.

There are a series of humps along the lane to our place in the BMW 'M' they are walking pace at best, the other 3 are much better allowing 10-12mph without too much crashing. Best of all is a hire van, big absorbent tyres and somebody elses shock absorbers :)

Avoid anything with S-line, M sport, or AMG or similar on the back - it basically means "the same performance of a normal car with less comfort".

Paul

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 21st, 2020, 2:15 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
I wish my council would fix them when I report them.

Same problem here, lots of potholes, lots of reporting but nothing every happened. Someone decided to try an experiment they spray painted a penis and scrotum next to every pothole over a few hundred yards of road. Withinn 2 days every one was filled and the artwork removed. This summer about 2 miles of the road has been surface dressed.

It might be worth a try.

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » October 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
langley59 wrote: I think the time has come for me to drive a vehicle more suited to the dreadful road surfaces which plague this country, even on the motorways. I currently drive a large Mercedes saloon. I'm thinking of either a large SUV with big chunky wheels and a windscreen which is higher up or a (reliable) old banger which won't bother me so much if it gets wrecked. Thoughts?

As others have said - small wheels with large sidewalls are better than big ones with low profile tyres. Rubber sidewalls absorb bumps and rebound much better than alloy.

There are a series of humps along the lane to our place in the BMW 'M' they are walking pace at best, the other 3 are much better allowing 10-12mph without too much crashing. Best of all is a hire van, big absorbent tyres and somebody elses shock absorbers :)

Avoid anything with S-line, M sport, or AMG or similar on the back - it basically means "the same performance of a normal car with less comfort".

Paul

I thought my old S500 beloved by many an African dictator would be suitable for the developing country quality roads we have in UK nowadays, but apparently not...

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » October 22nd, 2020, 9:33 am

Low Profile tyres on Diamond Cut Alloys....No
High Profile tyres on Steel Rims....Yes
Not atheistically pleasing, but beats the pot holes.

I think most modern cars are designed to be as light as possible making their running gear a bit vulnerable to shock loads. Anything with a commercial dna should wear better, but, at the cost of ride comfort. Older Range Rover is probably the exception.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » November 10th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Not too many actual potholes around where I live, but we do have the dreaded speed cushions. Now this is MY car, not one owned by Joe Mangler Ltd, and hence I have to pay for repairs. Therefore I slow right down, almost to stop before crossing them. Anyone who complains will be referred to the County Council who installed them. Some might think that selfish and it is, but it's MY pocket.

ten0rman

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » November 10th, 2020, 10:15 pm

ten0rman wrote:Not too many actual potholes around where I live, but we do have the dreaded speed cushions. Now this is MY car, not one owned by Joe Mangler Ltd, and hence I have to pay for repairs. Therefore I slow right down, almost to stop before crossing them. Anyone who complains will be referred to the County Council who installed them. Some might think that selfish and it is, but it's MY pocket.

ten0rman

Agreed, I do the same.

And when I said potholes in the opening post, what I really mean are potholes, cracks, ruts, speed bumps, sunken manhole covers, raised manhole covers...

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”