Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Another dubious website...

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Another dubious website...

Postby DrFfybes » October 31st, 2020, 6:21 pm

https://sornregister.......
Moderator Message:
RS: URL edited

Allows you to SORN your vehicle, for an undisclosed fee.

Or you could just do it for free...
https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

I thought these sort of 'services' had been banned?

Paul

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: Another dubious website...

Postby MonsterMork » October 31st, 2020, 8:18 pm

DrFfybes wrote:

Can't say if they have been banned, but there is nothing I am aware of in law that says you can't charge for providing a form filling service for someone, even if the form and it's effects are provided free by someone else, whether that be an individual, a business or a government. If you think about it water comes free from the sky but Severn Trent and their ilk charge us for it ....

MM

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » November 1st, 2020, 12:08 am

The big problem was that google used to promote the paid ads and they would appear at the top of the search listing. People would click on the first link and get charged for a service that was free, or a lot cheaper when using the .gov sites. This used to happen with passport renewal, driving licence and EHIC cards etc. On a google search now, EHIC Card lists .Gov & .NHS as the first two hits, with 'dubious website' coming in third.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 1st, 2020, 12:37 pm

MonsterMork wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Can't say if they have been banned, but there is nothing I am aware of in law that says you can't charge for providing a form filling service for someone, even if the form and it's effects are provided free by someone else, whether that be an individual, a business or a government. If you think about it water comes free from the sky but Severn Trent and their ilk charge us for it ....

MM

POINT OF ORDER M'lud....

They actually charge us for collecting it, cleaning it and delivering it to our houses under pressure I think. If you want it for free without these benefits you can collect in a bucket placed in your garden. :)

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » November 1st, 2020, 1:18 pm

Mike4 wrote:
POINT OF ORDER M'lud....

Don't you point that order at me matey, I have a moot and I'm not afraid to use it! :D

MM

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 1st, 2020, 1:56 pm

MonsterMork wrote:Can't say if they have been banned, but there is nothing I am aware of in law that says you can't charge for providing a form filling service for someone, even if the form and it's effects are provided free by someone else, whether that be an individual, a business or a government.

Indeed so. I got suckered into paying some agency or other for a pair of EHIC cards a few years ago, mainly because the Google search had put the agency ahead of the official link that was free of charge. The damage was about thirty quid, and I chalked it up to experience.

It was the same with the PPI claim merchants, except that they could relieve you of hundreds or even thousands of pounds for a service that you could achieve for free from the regulators at the FCA. (Since you ask, my ten minutes of form-filling brought me £2,500 after tax, including 8% interest dated back to 1990.)

So now it's the fake accident scammers trying to lift a slice of a compensation claim for an injury that I never had. Isn't it wonderful what people will do for you? The kindness of strangers. :lol:

BJ

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » November 9th, 2020, 11:04 am

If you want it for free without these benefits you can collect in a bucket placed in your garden.

Even that might be moot. I remember during one of the droughts many years ago, my water aurthority, Yorkshire Water I think, claimed that the water that fell to ground was theirs because it was eventually used to keep the sewers operating. It was something to do with all these people using water butts to catch & store water.

ten0rman

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 9th, 2020, 5:32 pm

ten0rman wrote:If you want it for free without these benefits you can collect in a bucket placed in your garden.

Even that might be moot. I remember during one of the droughts many years ago, my water aurthority, Yorkshire Water I think, claimed that the water that fell to ground was theirs because it was eventually used to keep the sewers operating. It was something to do with all these people using water butts to catch & store water.

ten0rman

Typical Yorkshire - deep butts, short hosepipe.

;)

Paul

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm

ten0rman wrote:If you want it for free without these benefits you can collect in a bucket placed in your garden.

ten0rman

That's interesting. There used to be a great deal of debate on canal and river forums about who owned the water in the rivers and canals, and I'm sure it turned out no-one owns it. But then to abstract the stuff from a river or canal, one needs a licence....

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » November 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Typical Yorkshire - deep butts, short hosepipe.

;)

Paul

Ahem, I resemble that remark! :lol:

MM

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”