Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Lockdown car insurances invalidations (allegedly)

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
didds
Lemon Half

Lockdown car insurances invalidations (allegedly)

Postby didds » November 9th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Our local paper has run this story

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news ... cdBRmvWAoU

"Driving during lockdown could invalidate your car insurance"

AIUI (notwithstanding T&Cs and whatever else) generally speaking that cannot be true for 3rd party claims? (CF accidents when D&D)

Happy to be wrong!

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Lockdown car insurances invalidations (allegedly)

Postby swill453 » November 9th, 2020, 3:27 pm

What a load of guff (no offence!).

It even tells you in the article:

a spokesperson from the Association of British Insurers said: "... if you do use your car for non-essential travel, you will not risk invalidating your car insurance.”

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 9th, 2020, 3:52 pm

I love it that they've asked Nick Freeman ("Mr Loophole") for an opinion on how motorists should drive. And there was I thinking that his view was "any damn way you want to, as long as you're rich enough to hire me for the defence"?

I know it's cruel to point out that the journalist is called Baddeley, but heck, I'll do it anyway. ;)

You're third-party insured for all sorts of places where you're not really supposed to be. (Parking areas for emergency services, pedestrian zones in towns, the wrong side of a roundabout.) The whole principle of public protection would fall apart if it were otherwise.

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 9th, 2020, 4:31 pm

FWIW, most of the press reports seem to be based on a report in the Mirror, which got it from somebody called Florence Codjoe at Uswitch. Who has been credited with dozens of other essential stories, such as (only this week) why 30% of drivers splash pedestrians deliberately - but who probably doesn't have a clue as to what she's on about when it comes to matters like this. Further investigation and a large side order of salt, please.

BJ

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » November 10th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Absolutely stupid. This week I've been to my garage in order to get a yellow warning light checked out; I've today been to the surgery for my 4 weekly blood test; on Thursday I go to the hospital to get my next lot of pills. Ok, Ok, I know that all of these are classed as essential, but during the last lockdown, after suffering a flat battery due to the short journeys we were doing, I then started going the long way round on my trips to the surgery. Essential? Or not? I would argue that 2 miles from home to surgery does not warm the engine thoroughly, and does not recharge the battery properly. Therefore, a longer journey, of say 10 to 15 miles when coupled with an essential journey becomes a necessity to keep the car running properly.

ten0rman

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 10th, 2020, 4:18 pm

bungeejumper wrote:You're third-party insured for all sorts of places where you're not really supposed to be. (Parking areas for emergency services, pedestrian zones in towns, the wrong side of a roundabout.) The whole principle of public protection would fall apart if it were otherwise.

There might be some situations where the insurance company can decline. After all insurance documents are typically very thick and appear to be a long list of exclusions and conditions.

For instance if you use your vehicle as the getaway car in a bank robbery while under the influence of drink, would the insurance company still pay out claims if you had an accident?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 10th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Lootman wrote:For instance if you use your vehicle as the getaway car in a bank robbery while under the influence of drink, would the insurance company still pay out claims if you had an accident?

The answer is likely to be - yes, they'll pay the 3rd party claims, but then come after you to recover the money.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Lootman wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:You're third-party insured for all sorts of places where you're not really supposed to be. (Parking areas for emergency services, pedestrian zones in towns, the wrong side of a roundabout.) The whole principle of public protection would fall apart if it were otherwise.

There might be some situations where the insurance company can decline. After all insurance documents are typically very thick and appear to be a long list of exclusions and conditions.

For instance if you use your vehicle as the getaway car in a bank robbery while under the influence of drink, would the insurance company still pay out claims if you had an accident?

I am not sure that they would accept the claim, certainly not for your own damage and probably not for any third party injury although it would be picked up by the Motor Insurers' Bureau (a lovely old fashioned name for a fund set up to pay for uninsured third party injuries or deaths.)

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 10th, 2020, 4:57 pm

ten0rman wrote:during the last lockdown, after suffering a flat battery due to the short journeys we were doing, I then started going the long way round on my trips to the surgery. Essential? Or not? I would argue that 2 miles from home to surgery does not warm the engine thoroughly, and does not recharge the battery properly. Therefore, a longer journey, of say 10 to 15 miles when coupled with an essential journey becomes a necessity to keep the car running properly.

Might perhaps be cheaper to spend £13 on a trickle charger? https://www.wish.com/product/5a5042a474 ... hide_login . I have this very one, and it's fine. But yes, a car needs a proper warm-up every few weeks. Third gear along the bypass ought to blow the cobwebs away. :lol:

BJ

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » November 10th, 2020, 9:42 pm

bj,

Eh lad, 3rd gear on't bypass? And then get done for speeding? Nah!

Actually, one day I did an experiment: at 60mph in 6th, change into 5th. All ok, now change into 4th. Still ok, so now change into 3rd. Still ok, but somewhat noisy. I can't remember what the theoretical max speed in 3rd is, but it's well in excess of 60mph. In theory, maximum power is developed at 4500 rpm which in 6th equates to about 124mph., and in 3rd it's somewhere just above 50mph - just right for a quick blast uphill with the caravan on the hook on a single carriagway.

I do have a battery charger, an old homemade one to be sure, and that's what I use if necessary.

ten0rman

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 11th, 2020, 8:52 am

ten0rman wrote:Actually, one day I did an experiment: at 60mph in 6th, change into 5th. All ok, now change into 4th. Still ok, so now change into 3rd. Still ok, but somewhat noisy. I can't remember what the theoretical max speed in 3rd is, but it's well in excess of 60mph

Beginners' stuff. About 20 years ago, my wife and I hired a brand new Renault Clio in Spain. Being a Renault, it had a faulty gearchange - the return spring on the gearstick wasn't there, so there was always a bit of doubt as to which gear you were about to enter.

Sooooooo, coming down the motorway from Malaga, I slipped it down from 5th to 4th at (ahem, about 110 kph, officer), and found myself in second gear instead. It was screaming like a banshee, and the engine braking effect was really quite impressive. :) Swift change of plan/gear ensued.

The following day, I took a wrong turning near Seville and ended up on a single-track quarry road, where my sump hit a rock in the middle of the road so hard that it knocked the car right out of gear and stopped the engine dead. And there we were, lost in the middle of a mountain range with about an hour of daylight left. It was with some trepidation that I turned the key and engaged first gear. All good. The hire company got its car back with no visible damage. Phew. Tougher than it looked. But would I buy an ex-hire Renault? :lol:

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”