Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Removal of little black spots on white car (not convinced it's tar)

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Removal of little black spots on white car (not convinced it's tar)

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 9th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Been washing the white today. It needed it. It also needs a good polish and wax. It washed down great, although it did take a while as it hasn't been washed for quite a time :oops:

When I was (hand) polishing it I noticed some small black spots all over, not just low down where you'd expect tar. Tried tar remover without much luck. So tried brute force and polish. It worked but I didn't clean a huge area at all.

They are either tar that's just stuck solid, artillery fungus or tree sap but they are stuck with super glue :shock:

Any ideas on how to remove this please? I don't mind a little elbow grease but I couldn't clean the entire car by hand trying to get these off. Would a power polisher work? Or are there some (gentle on the paint) chemicals available for this sort of stuff.

Thanks in advance

KiY (Knackered in Yorkshire)
Last edited by AsleepInYorkshire on November 9th, 2020, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Removal of little black spots on white car (not convinced it's tar)

Postby swill453 » November 9th, 2020, 4:32 pm

I've got those, and read a tip that WD40 was supposed to be good for getting them off. I haven't tried it yet, unfortunately...

Scott.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 9th, 2020, 4:37 pm

swill453 wrote:I've got those, and read a tip that WD40 was supposed to be good for getting them off. I haven't tried it yet, unfortunately...

Scott.

I'll give a try tomorrow

Cheers
AiY

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 9th, 2020, 4:45 pm

I've tried a power polisher for this sort of thing in the past, with zero success. A sander would be more effective, though the collateral damage might be considered unacceptable.

Using tar remover and lots of elbow grease worked, but very hard work. It takes time and several applications of the remover to soften the tar.

I'm also concerned about the amount of effort and rubbing having a detrimental effect on the paintwork.

--kiloran

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 9th, 2020, 5:04 pm

kiloran wrote:I've tried a power polisher for this sort of thing in the past, with zero success. A sander would be more effective, though the collateral damage might be considered unacceptable.

Using tar remover and lots of elbow grease worked, but very hard work. It takes time and several applications of the remover to soften the tar.

I'm also concerned about the amount of effort and rubbing having a detrimental effect on the paintwork.

--kiloran

If the WD40 doesn't break it down I may try a clay bar before polishing

Thanks for the heads up

AiY

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 9th, 2020, 5:39 pm

If tar remover doesn't shift it I expect WD40 wouldn't either, but it would be interesting to find out.

Try dobbing a 'blob' of polish or wax on and leaving it for a few mins - the solvents should soften it and it will stay damp to give them longer to act.

WD40 might affect the paint. Certainly avoid white spirit.

If you do need to get physical then polish and a microfibre cloth, ar VERY gently with a 'non-stick' pan scrub.

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Blimey, we've had four white cars over the years, and we never had anything that bad.

The polish (cream wax rather then liquid) would be your best bet against the usual fly spots, and it would make a good start against tar as well. Tree sap is probably a better bet at this time of year, but as you'd expect it would only be happening on horizontal surfaces. Bird crap can eat into a paint surface - especially starlings - but it would be obviously bird-crap shaped, so probably not.

If it seems oily/sappy, you might try a trial patch with a very, very gentle wipe of white spirit, which is in fact the solvent basis of many degreasers used by body shops, etc. And, by the smell of it, some polishes. ;) And then wash again and re-polish from scratch. (Sorry.....)

Personally I wouldn't ever use an abrasive, let alone on a power tool, but maybe I'm just a wimp? On balance, if it looked that tricky, I'd probably take the car down to my local friendly body shop and ask them for a quote to sort it? Cheaper than a respray. :|

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”