Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

More Big Brother

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
88V8
Lemon Half

More Big Brother

Postby 88V8 » December 20th, 2020, 10:42 pm

An interesting insight into some additional carp that will festoon new cars from 2023.
https://newatlas.com/automotive/vayyar- ... r-on-chip/

Practically, there will be a requirement for radar technology in the interiors of vehicles from 2023 and beyond.

Boy, am I glad that I shall never be lumbered with a new car.

V8

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Re: More Big Brother

Postby tacpot12 » December 21st, 2020, 9:40 am

That is an interesting development that will certainly increase safety, but I don't see any privacy concerns unless they add facial recognition.

Facial recognition, and indeed all form of biometric identification, are likely to be used to secure cars in future - cars will be programmed to only move if there is an enrolled driver in the driving seat.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 21st, 2020, 10:05 am

Dude, calm down. The rule is "requirements for back seat child and passenger detection, which will become mandatory in 2023.", which is usually done with a pressure sensor on the seat and isn't exactly news.

Lots of manufacturers offer it as an option, and Hyundai amongst others have had a radar system for a while which is supposed to remind you if you left your child in the car.

This is just a marketing press release touting a particular system with another way of measuring it, with more resolution and accuracy, and as it also tracks movement it should reduce the annoying false positives from putting parcels on the rear seat (except in Spain, where I gather it is illegal).

As for Biometrics controlling starting the car, I was watching Minority Report (the series) last night [1] where someone was being mocked for not having Biommetric security, and replied he was nervous about a system that requires the bad guys to remove body parts to gain entry :)

Paul

[1] We started it, so we will finish.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 21st, 2020, 10:56 am

tacpot12 wrote:... an interesting development that will certainly increase safety.....
said Big Brother

DrFfybes wrote:...remind you if you left your child in the car...
It's all in your best interests, said Big Brother.

Personally, I won't accept my car peering over my shoulder and checking what I'm doing. Any more than I would want my fridge checking for Use by Dates and reporting me to the Dept of Health, or a television reporting what I'm watching or an Alexa monitoring our conversations.

The process of losing our liberty is gradual.
We hardly notice.
We're brainwashed to welcome 'progress'.
It's all in our best interests of course.

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 21st, 2020, 11:11 am

88V8 wrote:
Personally, I won't accept my car peering over my shoulder and checking what I'm doing.
V8

You're too late.
For the last 15 years cars have been able to record peak revs, number of redlines, distance travelled in each gear, max speed reached, etc, the same way they log and record sensor faults.

I assume none of your vehicles have GPS, tracker based alarm, or are modern enough to have any engine systems monitored by software?

Paul

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 21st, 2020, 11:16 am

DrFfybes wrote:I assume none of your vehicles have GPS, tracker based alarm, or are modern enough to have any engine systems monitored by software?

Yes, I was mildly surprised that my 2012 Astra, with no satnav and not even a proper screen, had GPS fitted "somewhere". On plugging a Bluetooth OBDII device in the diagnostic port and running a free app, I could get the exact location onscreen.

(I'm pretty sure it wasn't reporting back to base though :-) )

Scott.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 21st, 2020, 3:05 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I assume none of your vehicles have GPS, tracker based alarm, or are modern enough to have any engine systems monitored by software?

Correct.
1963, 1974, and 1990 with carb.

Although the 74 does have a GPS-powered speedo, and I noticed this morning that the electronic odometer is on the blink.
I only fitted that speedo because a carb change three years ago meant that there was no access for the speedo cable, but it occurs to me now that I can solve that by turning the instrument panel upside down.

V8

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”