Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tyres - Winter/Cross-Climate - the decision - sell old ones?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Tyres - Winter/Cross-Climate - the decision - sell old ones?

Postby Clariman » December 21st, 2020, 3:33 pm

Further to my deliberations on whether to go for winter tyres, following previous issues in snow and ice.

My car was new in March 2020 and has only done a bit over 2,000 miles. However, couldn't get it to budge in the snow a few weeks ago. Current tyres are 235-40-19 Bridgestone S001 which I think are high performance summer tyres.

I am going for Michelin Cross-Climate Plus on all 4 wheels. I am hoping this will give me all round better grip in the winter as well as being good all year round. Please shout out now if you think this is a waste of money to replace the Bridgestones :o

The question next is what to do with the Bridgestones. They have minimal wear because they've only done 2,000 miles. Is there a market for them, how much are they worth and where can I sell them? Secondly, if selling them I won't need to dispose of them in landfill etc., so should I get a discount from the tyre company if I hang on to them?

Thanks
Clariman

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Tyres - Winter/Cross-Climate - the decision - sell old ones?

Postby redsturgeon » December 21st, 2020, 4:08 pm

There's a market for everything on eBay. Have a look at what similar tyres are fetching to give a guide to price.

Alternatively it can be worth trying Gumtree, if your local one does much trade.

John

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 21st, 2020, 4:53 pm

Clariman wrote:The question next is what to do with the Bridgestones. They have minimal wear because they've only done 2,000 miles. Is there a market for them, how much are they worth and where can I sell them? Secondly, if selling them I won't need to dispose of them in landfill etc., so should I get a discount from the tyre company if I hang on to them?

Thanks
Clariman

I bought a single new tyre a few years ago, but after the disposal charge came in. It was to fit on an already purchased rim, to use as a spare instead of the stupid can of sealant provided, so I was not disposing of an old tyre.

But the retailer insisted I pay the disposal charge anyway (is it a nominal charge to dispose of the new tyre once it reaches the end of it's life?) so based on that, I'd suggest no discount wil be offered :(

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 21st, 2020, 5:16 pm

What you get back for them won't reflect the mileage left on them.

Ask how much the tyre place will charge to swap them back again in March if it is only a tenner a wheel then you might be better to hang on to them. I suspect you'll get the same money for them used with 5000 miles on them as 2000.

Paul

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm

Sorry to have discovered this thread very late. I've spent half my life in regions of France and Italy where, during the winter, you are required by law to have either winter tyres or at the very least, snow chains in the boot. After a few very bad experiences in both countries, I generally have both, but pray that I never have to fit the snow chains. Yes, they're a life-saver, but an absolute pain to put on, unless you've already practised during the summer, as the instructions inform you! Yep, I learned the hard way! :oops:

But there are some new cheap snow chains that are much easier to put on and are very light. Can't remember the name, but they're plastic, yellow colour and probably enough to get you home.

Due to Covid, I've had my winter tyres on all year. So saved quite a bit in not having them changed.

Though, no doubt the garage that holds my summer tyres will find a reason for increasing the price. :x

Steve

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 21st, 2020, 5:56 pm

stevensfo wrote:Sorry to have discovered this thread very late. I've spent half my life in regions of France and Italy where, during the winter, you are required by law to have either winter tyres or at the very least, snow chains in the boot. After a few very bad experiences in both countries, I generally have both, but pray that I never have to fit the snow chains. Yes, they're a life-saver, but an absolute pain to put on, unless you've already practised during the summer, as the instructions inform you! Yep, I learned the hard way! :oops:

But there are some new cheap snow chains that are much easier to put on and are very light. Can't remember the name, but they're plastic, yellow colour and probably enough to get you home.

Due to Covid, I've had my winter tyres on all year. So saved quite a bit in not having them changed.

Though, no doubt the garage that holds my summer tyres will find a reason for increasing the price. :x

Steve

Same here, I've had my winter tyres on all year due to Covid lockdown. Saved myself about 60 quid not having to change them over. I keep the summers in my garage, so no storage fees. The winters are looking a bit low on tread, so I'll keep them on all year again and replace with new winters next Autumn. I don't want the tread to get too low, as though still legal when the tread gets too low they no longer work so well in the snow.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » December 21st, 2020, 8:19 pm

Clariman wrote:I am going for Michelin Cross-Climate Plus on all 4 wheels. I am hoping this will give me all round better grip in the winter as well as being good all year round. Please shout out now if you think this is a waste of money to replace the Bridgestones

Mr. Tyre Reviews made at least two CrossClimate videos which might calm your nerves a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0zyQh2l3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cgtmmtsqFA

When I have an unwanted tyre or two I put them on an auction site with a slightly pessimistic description so nobody can complain, low starting price and clearly state no warranty, no returns, collection only (inspection welcome upon collection), cash/bank transfer on collection etc.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 21st, 2020, 11:15 pm

Just another suggestion as to what to do with the tyres coming off. If you have storage at home, keep them and if the tyres on the car are a bit worn at the time you come to sell, shove 'em back on. Nothing like some fresh looking rubber to help a sale.

I'm intrigued to know what car you own which is so bad in the slippery stuff. BMW by any chance?

As an emergency, instead of snow chains, you can buy spray can stuff which solidifies on the tyre to create a rough finish. It then wears away and disappears after a few miles. Tried it once (on the dreaded BMW) on an icy drive which I couldn't get up, it did the trick. Find on eBay.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 21st, 2020, 11:20 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Not sure if I said in this thread, there is a near identical thread running in "The Combustion Chamber" on diynot.com.

I too run winter tyres all year round. There seems to be no downside to running my amazingly-grippy-in-the-snow 'Goodyear M+S" tyres through the summer, and plenty of upside (as in not having to store them somewhere).

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » December 21st, 2020, 11:33 pm

Mike4 wrote:There seems to be no downside to running my amazingly-grippy-in-the-snow 'Goodyear M+S" tyres through the summer, and plenty of upside (as in not having to store them somewhere).

Fuel economy will be worse.
Performance and grip on dry roads will be worse, more likely to get into a high speed skid.
They will wear out faster on dry roads, so also cost more in replacing tyres sooner.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 21st, 2020, 11:44 pm

Lanark wrote:
Mike4 wrote:There seems to be no downside to running my amazingly-grippy-in-the-snow 'Goodyear M+S" tyres through the summer, and plenty of upside (as in not having to store them somewhere).

Rubbish. Fuel economy did not perceptibly change when I used to change from one to the other.

Performance and grip on dry roads will be worse, more likely to get into a high speed skid.

Also rubbish in my view. Performance and grip on dry roads is excellent in my personal experience. Indistinguishable from 'all-year-round' tyres.

They will wear out faster on dry roads, so also cost more in replacing tyres sooner.

Yep I'll grant you that! I buy new tyres every six months. Mind you I do 35-40,000 miles a year.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am

Lanark wrote:

Got to say, like mike4, I eventually did the same thing on the exact same tyre and (against evidence suggested online) I saw no fuel penalty and the tyres were in good nick when I sold the car with 20k miles on them. I'm willing to concede that in a handling test by expert drivers there would have been a difference, but on my drag up the M6 or cross country through the twisty roads of Wales, it wasn't noticeable.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 22nd, 2020, 9:21 am

airbus330 wrote:I'm intrigued to know what car you own which is so bad in the slippery stuff. BMW by any chance?

He said in another thread on winter tyres "this one has 19" alloys and wide tyres - Seat Ateca Xcellence Lux ... front wheel drive".

Scott.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 22nd, 2020, 9:39 am

airbus330 wrote:
Lanark wrote:

Got to say, like mike4, I eventually did the same thing on the exact same tyre and (against evidence suggested online) I saw no fuel penalty and the tyres were in good nick when I sold the car with 20k miles on them. I'm willing to concede that in a handling test by expert drivers there would have been a difference, but on my drag up the M6 or cross country through the twisty roads of Wales, it wasn't noticeable.

I've used winters on all my cars since I moved to Scotland and have usually changed over to summers late spring. I've also collected fuel economy data for my cars, recording actual mileage and fuel use every fill.* I looked at average miles/gallon for winter and summer tyres. There was little or no difference. There might have been slightly poorer economy on the winters, but it was well within the general fill to fill variation and didn't look to be significant. I might be able to check as the data is in excel.
* My real fuel economy calculated from miles done and litres of fuel used is significantly worse than the fuel economy calculated by the car computer, about 8-10% worse.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 22nd, 2020, 10:00 am

I run Michelin Latitude Cross on my road-going Landy. Ten years old now, plenty of tread but time for a change. Dry grip is good, and unlike some tyres, they're not noisy.

Ebay is the place for used tyres. Send them with Shiply.

As regards swapping them in the summer, see here how to store them at home.
https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/tyre ... tore-tyres

Will you see an improvement in snow performance, yes but the basic problem is that the tyres are wide so the unit pressure is low. Hence, they float over the snow instead of cutting through it. When I started motoring, a performance car had 165s.

V8

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 22nd, 2020, 10:12 am

88V8 wrote:Will you see an improvement in snow performance, yes but the basic problem is that the tyres are wide so the unit pressure is low. Hence, they float over the snow instead of cutting through it. When I started motoring, a performance car had 165s.

Thanks for this and I'm sure you are right. So what advantage, if any, do wide tyres have? Is it just a fashion or cosmetic thing? To be honest, my only reservation about buying the car was that I wasn't particularly interested in having 19" alloys because I was concerned the ride might not be so comfortable. However, I'm now a bit narked that the wide tyres make the car less practical in snow. When I bought my first Ateca, you could choose a trim and add options on. However, the 2019/20 model just had trims (no options), so to get the things I wanted to needed to go for the version with these bloomin' alloys.

C

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 22nd, 2020, 10:49 am

Clariman wrote:
88V8 wrote:Will you see an improvement in snow performance, yes but the basic problem is that the tyres are wide so the unit pressure is low. Hence, they float over the snow instead of cutting through it. When I started motoring, a performance car had 165s.

Thanks for this and I'm sure you are right. So what advantage, if any, do wide tyres have? Is it just a fashion or cosmetic thing? To be honest, my only reservation about buying the car was that I wasn't particularly interested in having 19" alloys because I was concerned the ride might not be so comfortable. However, I'm now a bit narked that the wide tyres make the car less practical in snow. When I bought my first Ateca, you could choose a trim and add options on. However, the 2019/20 model just had trims (no options), so to get the things I wanted to needed to go for the version with these bloomin' alloys.

C

I am equally sure this is wrong. Back in the early 70s when I drove an Austin A35 with tyre treads perhaps only 4 1/2" wide I don't remember them "cutting through the snow", they squashed it flat just like the 8" wider tyres on my van do nowadays, and it too slid around in snow like a pig on skates. Great fun!

The advantage of wider tyres is MORE grip in my experience. Wider wheel and tyres on my later Minis brought a massive improvement in grip.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 22nd, 2020, 11:02 am

I am slightly bemused by this entire thread because we have so little snow these days that I would not even dream of using winter tyres. Mind you, if we did get a lot of snow I would just stay at home. But it must be 2010/11 since we had any significant snow.

Dod

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 22nd, 2020, 11:35 am

Exactly.
On The Jeremy Vine show this morning.......the last white Christmas was ?????? 2017.

I'm in Essex most of the time.......so I'm sticking with my Pirelli P1's.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 22nd, 2020, 11:44 am

Dod101 wrote:I am slightly bemused by this entire thread because we have so little snow these days that I would not even dream of using winter tyres. Mind you, if we did get a lot of snow I would just stay at home. But it must be 2010/11 since we had any significant snow.

Dod

When snow is on the ground ten times as many boilers seem to break down so on the rare occasions it snows, I'll be out driving in it for sure!

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”