Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tyres - Winter/Cross-Climate - the decision - sell old ones?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
daveh
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tyres - Winter/Cross-Climate - the decision - sell old ones?

Postby daveh » December 22nd, 2020, 11:45 am

Dod101 wrote:I am slightly bemused by this entire thread because we have so little snow these days that I would not even dream of using winter tyres. Mind you, if we did get a lot of snow I would just stay at home. But it must be 2010/11 since we had any significant snow.

Dod

I'm in Aberdeenshire, but I do go skiing (both xc and downhill) so I'm regularly driving up roads like the Rhynie to Dufftown road or the A93 the Glenshee when there is snow and the winters make a big difference. Plus if the weather is bad I drive the 15miles into work in Aberdeen rather than cycle. Winter tyres give improved grip when the temperature is below ~7C compared to summer tyres due to the tyre compound even if it is not snowy or icy, plus on frosty mornings (which we still get) I get a lot more grip than the summer shod vehicles (if the speed other drivers are doing is an indication). So I reckon its worth having the winter tyres just for those cold and frosty days even without the snow.

I agree though we are getting a lot less snow. It used to be that there would be a least a few days every year when there was a decent fall of snow and the roads needed ploughing because of drifting. Last couple of years there has been no real snow events. Last bad year I think was winter 11/12, and 10/11 was very bad with lying snow for a couple of weeks in late December. Interestingly i think the driving ability in snow has got much worse recently. I never used to have a problem getting into work even in bad snow conditions. But in recent years even though the snow has been no where near as bad, I've encountered much more very slow or stationary traffic on days when there has been a little snow fall. I think that is because less people are fitting winter tyres and there are more drivers with no experience of real winter driving. Leading to people getting stuck on hills or driving really slowly and causing big tailbacks.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 22nd, 2020, 12:22 pm

Looks like that's one of the few advantages of climate change......warmer weather.......less snow.

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » December 22nd, 2020, 12:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:But it must be 2010/11 since we had any significant snow.

Did you miss "the beast from the east" in 2018? Here in the dark Northern latitudes of Hertfordshire I was very glad of my Cross-Climate tyres. We also saw some snow last year, ISTR and they were useful on the ungritted lanes.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 22nd, 2020, 12:34 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am slightly bemused by this entire thread because we have so little snow these days that I would not even dream of using winter tyres. Mind you, if we did get a lot of snow I would just stay at home. But it must be 2010/11 since we had any significant snow.

Dod

I'm in Scotland. We don't get a great deal of snow but we live above the snow line, on the brow of a hill and our road never gets gritted. In the small amount of snow and ice we had a few weeks ago I could not get the car to grip. The journey was to provide informal childcare for essential workers, so quite important. Luckily Mrs C's car had no problem so we abandoned mine in the middle of the road. Luckily no one slid into it while we were out.

With my previous version of the same car I also skidded on a roundabout near home. Safety is of paramount importance and a car is a waste of time if I can't get it off our road!

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » December 22nd, 2020, 12:35 pm

Mike4 wrote:The advantage of wider tyres is MORE grip in my experience. Wider wheel and tyres on my later Minis brought a massive improvement in grip.

More dry grip, I would have thought. Greater surface area, results in reduced pressure, thus reduced ability to cut through water and a higher risk of aquaplaning in the wet. I'm not sure how that would translate into performance on snow and ice.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » December 22nd, 2020, 12:38 pm

tsr2 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:The advantage of wider tyres is MORE grip in my experience. Wider wheel and tyres on my later Minis brought a massive improvement in grip.

More dry grip, I would have thought. Greater surface area, results in reduced pressure, thus reduced ability to cut through water and a higher risk of aquaplaning in the wet. I'm not sure how that would translate into performance on snow and ice.

Perhaps the increased surface area of wider tyres is compensated for by the increased weight of modern cars compared to those of several decades ago. So we're back where we started.

Watis

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 22nd, 2020, 12:44 pm

Mike4 wrote:

Dod

When snow is on the ground ten times as many boilers seem to break down so on the rare occasions it snows, I'll be out driving in it for sure!

Sure. I understand that and thought of adding that were I a plumber on call out it would be quite different, I am fortunate that I am retired and can just stay off the roads if it gets bad.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 22nd, 2020, 12:48 pm

tsr2 wrote:

Did you miss "the beast from the east" in 2018? Here in the dark Northern latitudes of Hertfordshire I was very glad of my Cross-Climate tyres. We also saw some snow last year, ISTR and they were useful on the ungritted lanes.

Yes we had the beast from the east but I recall no problems with it. I guess if I were required to go out or went skiing that would be different. My Q5 seems to be OK in the snow although it has never really had a decent test and I am not particularly looking for the opportunity.

Dod

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 22nd, 2020, 2:23 pm

Love this thread, as Dod says, with so little chance of snow in this country. However, to add to the mix, if you go to BMW/Mini they offer OE snow tyred wheels for an extraordinary price, but do offer to store them for you.LoL, The wheels and tyres are slightly more narrow (can't remember how many mm) than the standard fit of wheel/tyre. I seem recall that the more narrow profile aided Snow use, but degraded wet weather performance. Apart from this, the rubber formula is softer (hence potential for premature wear) and the tread design includes 'sipes', little slices in the tread, which grip into snow on the ground. All said, unless you somewhere prone to snow, its a bit of an overkill to go beyond cross climates. (Except on the day you need them)

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 22nd, 2020, 5:06 pm

Dod101 wrote:
tsr2 wrote:

Yes we had the beast from the east but I recall no problems with it. I guess if I were required to go out or went skiing that would be different. My Q5 seems to be OK in the snow although it has never really had a decent test and I am not particularly looking for the opportunity.

Dod

The beast from the east wasn't particularly bad in Scotland, and I'm east coast, it was much more significant in eastern england.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 22nd, 2020, 6:13 pm

tsr2 wrote:

Oooo another chance to wheel out this pic of my boat when I got home on 18th March 2018.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 22nd, 2020, 7:28 pm

Mike4 wrote:
tsr2 wrote:Oooo another chance to wheel out this pic of my boat when I got home on 18th March 2018.

Does it have winter or all-season tyres?

--kiloran

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 23rd, 2020, 9:41 am

kiloran wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
tsr2 wrote:Oooo another chance to wheel out this pic of my boat when I got home on 18th March 2018.

Does it have winter or all-season tyres?

--kiloran

Neither, he has snow chains, and an anchor.

Paul

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 24th, 2020, 3:58 pm

So new Michelin Cross-Climate+ tyres went on yesterday. My local tyre place only gave me the option of Budget or Premium tyres, but the Michelin ones from just half a mile further away were 20% cheaper than the local place. And Michelin have £100 cash-back if you buy 4 tyres. Meanwhile I have my 4 original Bridgestone tyres in the garage for emergencies or to sell, so overall I'm happy so far. Tomorrow we are travelling for Christmas Day and it might be icy so we'll see how they fare :?

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 29th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Looking at a few pics this morning of a snowy M5 M6 I was struck by two thoughts. The first was, thank god I don't have to do that commute anymore. The second was, ah! this would be the 1 day of the year I'd be glad to have fitted winter tyres !

Ma1co1m

Postby Ma1co1m » December 29th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Clariman

Have you got any details about the cashback please ? I bought 4 Crossclimates on Christmas Eve but the only cashback offers I can find have expired ( and I would have expected the place I bought them from to have told me if it exists )

ma1co1m

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 29th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Ma1co1m wrote:Clariman

Have you got any details about the cashback please ? I bought 4 Crossclimates on Christmas Eve but the only cashback offers I can find have expired ( and I would have expected the place I bought them from to have told me if it exists )

ma1co1m

Sorry, it turns out it had expired. They rejected my application earlier today for that very reason. But hey ho, I needed them today and they did a grand job so money well spent.

Ma1co1m

Postby Ma1co1m » December 29th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Ah well, shame for both of us but never mind - my daughter in Scotland needed them yesterday and was very happy too, so as you say, money well spent

ma1co1m

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » December 30th, 2020, 1:38 am

richlist wrote:Looks like that's one of the few advantages of climate change......warmer weather.......less snow.

Slightly off topic, but if climate change affects the Gulf stream that warms the UK, we'll end up with colder, wetter, windier weather* as a result of global warming, so perhaps no need to sell the winter tyres just yet!

VRD

*As I understand it, our climate will have more heat overall, but where we are (UK) the effect won't be warmer weather in winter, but a higher energy weather system. I'd prefer your version to be the correct one, mind!

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 30th, 2020, 9:18 am

Well, also slightly off topic......there is a trade off with most things in life.

Global warming for the UK seems to mean ....we accept colder winters in exchange for warmer summers.
Seems like a good deal to me.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”