Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Puncture repairs

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Puncture repairs

Postby redsturgeon » January 25th, 2021, 10:07 am

Has anyone found it difficult at some National chains to get car tyre puncture repairs. At the nearest tyre place to me I have tried three or four times over the years to get a tyre repair only to be told, "Sorry mate we can't repair that for "X reason".

Each time I have taken it to another tyre place for a second opinion and they have repaired it without question.

This time it was a nail hole in the middle of the tread, a two week old tyre. It had been temporarily repaired as a get you home measure and the chap that did the repair was confident that a permanent repair would be possible.

I was a little suspicious when the guy at the desk did the teeth sucking thing as he said, " We usually can't repair those because they drill the holes too big".

Sure enough he phoned up to say I needed a new tyre.

I have taken it away to get a second opinion.

John

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Puncture repairs

Postby Howard » January 25th, 2021, 10:24 am

redsturgeon wrote:Has anyone found it difficult at some National chains to get car tyre puncture repairs. At the nearest tyre place to me I have tried three or four times over the years to get a tyre repair only to be told, "Sorry mate we can't repair that for "X reason".

Each time I have taken it to another tyre place for a second opinion and they have repaired it without question.

This time it was a nail hole in the middle of the tread, a two week old tyre. It had been temporarily repaired as a get you home measure and the chap that did the repair was confident that a permanent repair would be possible.

I was a little suspicious when the guy at the desk did the teeth sucking thing as he said, " We usually can't repair those because they drill the holes too big".

John

Micheldever Tyres repaired a tyre for me a couple of years ago and they are not too far from Winchester. I was pleasantly surprised at the low cost. From memory it was a similar puncture, small nail through tread. The guy who inspected it told me it would not have been repairable if it were a side wall puncture.

Good luck with the second opinion. :)

Howard

PS I know you are aware of the benefits, but now with leased cars and modestly priced maintenance contracts, I've been impressed with the speed of their home-visit tyre replacements, especially on the occasion when it was a very expensive and apparently unusual run-flat tyre. Well worth considering when you get your new car.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 25th, 2021, 11:12 am

Howard wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Has anyone found it difficult at some National chains to get car tyre puncture repairs. At the nearest tyre place to me I have tried three or four times over the years to get a tyre repair only to be told, "Sorry mate we can't repair that for "X reason".

John

Micheldever Tyres repaired a tyre for me a couple of years ago and they are not too far from Winchester. I was pleasantly surprised at the low cost. From memory it was a similar puncture, small nail through tread. The guy who inspected it told me it would not have been repairable if it were a side wall puncture.

Howard

PS I know you are aware of the benefits, but now with leased cars and modestly priced maintenance contracts, I've been impressed with the speed of their home-visit tyre replacements, especially on the occasion when it was a very expensive and apparently unusual run-flat tyre. Well worth considering when you get your new car.

All fixed now, no problem!

Will remember Micheldever mobile, I used to go there and wait but that was pre Covid.

PS Now looking seriously at an ID3 on lease, have you spotted any good deals?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 25th, 2021, 12:46 pm

I use Barry Shaddick for purchase, fitting and repair of tyres and even inner tubes. Other than sidewall damage which is generally doomsville, they have never tried to flog me a new tyre.

Truck tyres are their main business, I guess truckers wouldn't have any truck with 'can't be repaired' bollox.
https://barryshaddicktyres.co.uk/

V8

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 25th, 2021, 1:57 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Howard wrote:

John

Howard

All fixed now, no problem!

Will remember Micheldever mobile, I used to go there and wait but that was pre Covid.

PS Now looking seriously at an ID3 on lease, have you spotted any good deals?

Have had a quick look at my usual sites and around £290 a month for 6+47 payments and 10k miles a year is available (personal lease,) obviously if it's a business lease it's a lot cheaper.

https://leasing.com/independent-brokers ... 670189427/

and

https://www.drive-electric.co.uk/vehicle/

are worth a look.

And it is worth considering including maintenance. I've had two punctures with a leased car and on both, the tyre fitter told me that I'd have had to pay a fortune for their home service. From memory one visit would have cost me more than £400. The lease companies are given premium service by tyre companies because of the size of their orders.

regards

Howard

(A bit off topic, but have you looked at a Hyundai or Kia BEV?)

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 9th, 2021, 6:25 am

redsturgeon wrote:Has anyone found it difficult at some National chains to get car tyre puncture repairs.

Last year (pre-covid) I got a nail in a tyre whilst I was 30 miles or so away from home. The nail was right in the middle of the tread so was probably repairable. The only issue was it was 2pm on a Sunday afternoon, but there were four or five national tyre retailers within a couple of mile radius.

Went to the nearest one - “can’t do it until Monday “. On to the next, but the same story. On to the next, would like to help but some other excuse why they couldn’t.

Then on to the next - “Sure we can do it but we are busy and it will be a couple of hours before we can get to it” and then the tyre fitter looked me up and down and said “will you be paying by card or cash?”.

Fifteen minutes later I was back on the road with a repaired tyre.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 9th, 2021, 9:07 am

AF62 wrote:“Sure we can do it but we are busy and it will be a couple of hours before we can get to it” and then the tyre fitter looked me up and down and said “will you be paying by card or cash?”.

Fifteen minutes later I was back on the road with a repaired tyre.

I had the exact same experience last July (in high covid season), when my wife's Golf copped a nail right in the middle of a very lightly worn tyre. My local tyre outfit were moderately busy that morning - it might have been an hour's wait - but they asked the same question, card or cash?

Ten minutes and a £10 note later, I was on my way. And feeling slightly embarrassed at having jumped the queue. (It wasn't my idea, honestly guv, it was theirs. :? )

Interestingly, that was the last time I used cash in any transaction.

BJ

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 9th, 2021, 9:46 am

bungeejumper wrote:Interestingly, that was the last time I used cash in any transaction.

I almost never use any cash in normal times, so there was a moment of doubt after I had responded "cash" as to whether I actually had any on me or not.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 9th, 2021, 2:54 pm

AF62 wrote:I almost never use any cash in normal times, so there was a moment of doubt after I had responded "cash" as to whether I actually had any on me or not.

Back in March last year when lockdown 1 was about to start I took out £100 just to be sure I wouldn't be caught short - checking my wallet just now I see I have spent only £20 of it so far....

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 9th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Breelander wrote:
AF62 wrote:I almost never use any cash in normal times, so there was a moment of doubt after I had responded "cash" as to whether I actually had any on me or not.

Back in March last year when lockdown 1 was about to start I took out £100 just to be sure I wouldn't be caught short - checking my wallet just now I see I have spent only £20 of it so far....

The cash in the biscuit tin here has increased over the last 12 months from stuff I have sold on eBay/Facebook, but had nowhere to spend it.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”