Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Scalextric for Grown-Ups

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Scalextric for Grown-Ups

Postby bungeejumper » April 11th, 2021, 1:37 pm

There has to be a reason why it's taken me seven years to catch up with Formula E racing, and I think I've finally figured it out. I've never heard of any of the drivers, and all the cars look just the same, rather like those electric kiddicars that you used to be able to ride round and round at a fairground.

And most of all, dammit, where's the glorious noise? Not even the commentator is supplying much. (In this case, although he was on full Murray in the third round Rome event.)

So why can't I even care who won? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/motorsport/56581533

If this is the future, it's not evil enough. :twisted:

BJ

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Scalextric for Grown-Ups

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 11th, 2021, 2:16 pm

bungeejumper wrote:There has to be a reason why it's taken me seven years to catch up with Formula E racing, and I think I've finally figured it out. I've never heard of any of the drivers, and all the cars look just the same, rather like those electric kiddicars that you used to be able to ride round and round at a fairground.

And most of all, dammit, where's the glorious noise? Not even the commentator is supplying much. (In this case, although he was on full Murray in the third round Rome event.)

So why can't I even care who won? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/motorsport/56581533

If this is the future, it's not evil enough. :twisted:

BJ

Never watched it beyond a quick glance but even F1 seems pretty Scalextric these days. Went to Silverstone as a youngster, one of Graham Hills' last seasons I think. That was noisy (and cold)!

RC

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 11th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Scalextric is for grown ups!
Like Lego any age ratings are just advisory ;)

I quite like formula E but I do know what you mean about the noise
- pre 2014 we used to be able to hear the F1 in the distance from our office

-sd

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 12th, 2021, 7:46 am

bungeejumper wrote: I've never heard of any of the drivers,
BJ

I think about half a dozen of them are refugees from the lower reaches of the F1 grid

MM

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 12th, 2021, 7:55 am

servodude wrote:
I quite like formula E but I do know what you mean about the noise
- pre 2014 we used to be able to hear the F1 in the distance from our office

-sd

Back in the days of old the length of delays caused by the technology of the time in live broadcasting meant that we knew if someone had crashed at Club or Woodcote before we saw it on the telly - we heard it before the signal came through.

LocalMork

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 12th, 2021, 1:58 pm

We've watched the MotoE bike racing, both on telly, and live.

It is odd, the kneesliders being the loudest sounds.

The racing is often superb, close and often somewhat high contact for a quarter of a ton of bike, and eventually we realised WHY the noise matters.

It isn't for the atmosphere, or the effect, but it informs the viewer of what the rider/driver is doing, when they are on the gas, when they are on the brakes, how hard they are pushing.

One of the most noticable things trackside has been how people like Stoner and Marquez get on the gas so much earlier than other riders, how Rossi used to overlap brake and throttle to steer the rear, how Senna used to stab the throttle searching for traction, how rally cars used power to steer, and how much they used.

That feedback is missing with electric.

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”