Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

According to the DVLA.....

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
didds
Lemon Half

Re: According to the DVLA.....

Postby didds » April 26th, 2021, 8:11 am

Oh my mind is racing now....

if ones breaks a leg so one cannot drive a normal vehicle for a short whiole (eg 3 months) ... can one drive an adapted vehicle such as used by those with permanent loss of limb (Ive never actually seen one so I dunno how thay work aside from hand throttles - still a footbrake?)

didds

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 27th, 2021, 6:51 pm

Snorvey wrote:
'In my 25 years as an orthopaedic trauma surgeon I have never heard of this'

Was that after you'd told him you'd fallen off the floor?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 28th, 2021, 12:49 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
'In my 25 years as an orthopaedic trauma surgeon I have never heard of this'

Was that after you'd told him you'd fallen off the floor?

Well if that's what the doc says..
why don't you take a drive over to Eilean Donan and check you can walk over the bridge at the castle?
Sure that will be fine to check everything's in order

-sd

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 29th, 2021, 10:43 am

I had a fractured skull and was required to notify DVLA which I did. I was able to reapply for my licence after 6 months, which I did. Then the problems started.

As part of my release from hospital I had a follow up with the consultant booked for 2 months later, it was cancelled with a notification that I would be given a new appointment later. I never was despite several letters, emails and phone calls, eventually I got an appointment 8 months after I left hospital. Obviously DVLA wouldn't give me my licence back until the consultant said I was ok to drive. At the follow up I was signed off as fit and healthy. I told DVLA and they contacted the consultant for his report. Nothing happened. I contacted DVLA, who contacted the consultant, nothing happened.

DVLA decided the ok from my doctor would do. My doctor said she hadn't seen me since the accident so couldn't comment. DVLA wrote to the consultant, nothing, so they contacted my doctor......and so it went on. Eventually well over a year since I notified DVLA I was given my licence back.

Things may be quicker for a licence suspension following a broken limb but for anything else, be warned, the time scale may be a lot longer than you are led to believe. DVLA are quite efficient but not very imaginative. The medical profession don't consider 'non essential' paperwork a priority.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 29th, 2021, 1:11 pm

sg31 wrote:I had a fractured skull and was required to notify DVLA which I did. I was able to reapply for my licence after 6 months, which I did. Then the problems started.

As part of my release from hospital I had a follow up with the consultant booked for 2 months later, it was cancelled with a notification that I would be given a new appointment later. I never was despite several letters, emails and phone calls, eventually I got an appointment 8 months after I left hospital. Obviously DVLA wouldn't give me my licence back until the consultant said I was ok to drive. At the follow up I was signed off as fit and healthy. I told DVLA and they contacted the consultant for his report. Nothing happened. I contacted DVLA, who contacted the consultant, nothing happened.

DVLA decided the ok from my doctor would do. My doctor said she hadn't seen me since the accident so couldn't comment. DVLA wrote to the consultant, nothing, so they contacted my doctor......and so it went on. Eventually well over a year since I notified DVLA I was given my licence back.

Things may be quicker for a licence suspension following a broken limb but for anything else, be warned, the time scale may be a lot longer than you are led to believe. DVLA are quite efficient but not very imaginative. The medical profession don't consider 'non essential' paperwork a priority.

When you say you were "required to notify DVLA", do you mean because your doctor specifically told you to? Or do you just mean that you felt that you should because that is what the rules technically say that you should do?

I think your tale of woe is exactly why some people would prefer to simply not drive and otherwise keep quiet about it.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » April 29th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Lootman wrote:When you say you were "required to notify DVLA", do you mean because your doctor specifically told you to? Or do you just mean that you felt that you should because that is what the rules technically say that you should do?

I think your tale of woe is exactly why some people would prefer to simply not drive and otherwise keep quiet about it.

On the DVLA website they list the situations where they should be notified of medical issues. With a fractured skull there is an increase in the chance of epilepsy. As an ex insurance underwriter I was aware of this so I would have reported it anyway. My consultant also told me I must report it to DVLA.

In the circumstances if I'd not notified DVLA my insurer would have been able to avoid any claim*. As I understand it DVLA must satisfy themselves you are fit to drive after any of the medical issues occur. Even if I had waited 6 months before driving again my licence and insurance would have been questionable because DVLA had not been able to satisfy themselves of my fitness to drive. I wasn't prepared to take the chance that I might hurt someone if I had an epileptic fit even 3 years after my injury.

I might have taken a different view if it was something like a broken bone which is either recovered or not.

Being without a licence was a major inconvenience because we live in a very rural area, my wife didn't have a licence and the bus stop is a fair walk away from home. Rural services are between 8.30 and 5.30,with no services on Sunday or Bank holidays. Even going into town to pick up mild or bread took the best part of half a day and cost a lot in bus fares.

* Under RTA's they must pay out an injury claim but then they would have a right to recover all costs from me.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”