Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Autonomous vehicles

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
swill453
Lemon Half

Autonomous vehicles

Postby swill453 » April 28th, 2021, 7:02 am

Back in the 2017 budget, the Chancellor promised that driverless cars would be on British roads by 2021. It was confirmed later by a Treasury official "YES - THIS WOULD MEAN FULL SELF-DRIVING CARS WITH NOBODY BEHIND THE WHEEL".

Actually it seems that by the end of the year ther might be a change in the law to allow automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) at speeds of up to 37mph, with drivers allowed to take their hands off the wheel as long as they stay alert and able to take over within 10 seconds.

Seems this technology is a tad harder to do than some predicted...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56906145

Scott.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Autonomous vehicles

Postby Mike4 » April 28th, 2021, 8:06 am

swill453 wrote:Back in the 2017 budget, the Chancellor promised that driverless cars would be on British roads by 2021. It was confirmed later by a Treasury official "YES - THIS WOULD MEAN FULL SELF-DRIVING CARS WITH NOBODY BEHIND THE WHEEL".

Actually it seems that by the end of the year ther might be a change in the law to allow automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) at speeds of up to 37mph, with drivers allowed to take their hands off the wheel as long as they stay alert and able to take over within 10 seconds.

Seems this technology is a tad harder to do than some predicted...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56906145

Scott.

To me, a "self driving car" would be one capable of undertaking a complete "door to door" journey with no-one on board holding a driving licence, not one where there needs to be a driver available to take over at ten seconds' notice.

Interestingly the BBC R4 this morning was also saying that the proposed change in the law to allow vehicles with "automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) at speeds of up to 37mph", would only apply to motorways. I'd say vehicles doing only 37mph or less on motorways would represent a significant reduction in road safety.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 28th, 2021, 8:56 am

Mike4 wrote:To me, a "self driving car" would be one capable of undertaking a complete "door to door" journey with no-one on board holding a driving licence, not one where there needs to be a driver available to take over at ten seconds' notice.

I agree, but I think we're at least a decade or two away from seeing that.

Interestingly the BBC R4 this morning was also saying that the proposed change in the law to allow vehicles with "automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) at speeds of up to 37mph", would only apply to motorways. I'd say vehicles doing only 37mph or less on motorways would represent a significant reduction in road safety.

The report I heard said it would only be useful in congested traffic where the flow is that speed or less.

Scott.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » April 28th, 2021, 10:11 am

Autonomous vehicles are classified into different levels (from 1-5).
Class-5 are fully autonomous with no need human intervention required or possible. The government legislation is for Class-3 vehicles and then only in very limited cases. This matches the current capabilities of state-of-the-art vehicles despite marketing claims to the contrary.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... explained/

I work on this technology as the day job, Class-5 is many years off at the moment.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 28th, 2021, 11:43 am

Mike4 wrote:Interestingly the BBC R4 this morning was also saying that the proposed change in the law to allow vehicles with "automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) at speeds of up to 37mph", would only apply to motorways. I'd say vehicles doing only 37mph or less on motorways would represent a significant reduction in road safety.

It's basically the system Audi was trying to put in the A8 a few years ago, but gave up as it wasn't legal to use it anywhere.

Traffic Jam Pilot was designed to automatically steer, accelerate, and brake on highways. Audi planned to allow the system to be used only on divided highways, in stop-and-go traffic at speeds up to 37 mph. The system would only be activated in countries with regulatory approval, but that proved to be a complicated issue.

- https://www.motorauthority.com/news/112 ... 2037%20mph.

Hit a traffic jam, get out the book, and wait for the car to tell you there is clear road ahead and you need to take back control.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 28th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Snorvey wrote:It would probably eradicate motorway accidents if everyone drove at 37mph on autopilot.

True, but the accidents on all the other roads, where the traffic would migrate if those were the motorway rules, would increase significantly.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”