Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Warning lights

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Warning lights

Postby brightncheerful » May 21st, 2021, 10:27 pm

Puppy had her first journey in the Octavia this afternoon. None of the usual sounds of discomfort. i should think it much more relaxing for her to bark at passing dogs, cyclists, pedestrians, motorbikes whilst the crate she is sitting in isn't on a slope.

On the way home, as I drove up a steep hill a warning light came on about windscreen washer. So much for the dealer's pre-sale check. At first i wondered if it were the steepness of the hill and minimum level in the washer unit that had caused the warning light to flicker temporarily, but no. It was then that i noticed another warning light at the top of the dashboard.

For reasons that need not concern (nothing to do with me) the car's instruction booklet was at home, not in the car when it should've been. i drove home anxiously wondering what on earth it could be. When i got home I retrieved the booklet from whence it shouldn't have been and read through the list of warning lights.

Lo and behold, it is warning light that comes on when any other warning light comes on.

The car also has assists. It tells me to remove my foot from the accelerator if it thinks I am going too fast when approaching a roundabout. The speed I am at is the same as i used to drive the Audi A1 - perhaps i should not have, or more likely the Octavia estate is heavier and needs more braking distance. It also takes over and corrects the steering if it thinks i am not driving in the middle of the road (single carriageway), that on the two occasions it has happened I am finding off-putting: there is a particular stretch of the by-pass that in the Audi I always deliberately took from a slight angle. i guess i am going to have to not in future.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Warning lights

Postby staffordian » May 21st, 2021, 10:43 pm

brightncheerful wrote:It also takes over and corrects the steering if it thinks i am not driving in the middle of the road (single carriageway), that on the two occasions it has happened I am finding off-putting: there is a particular stretch of the by-pass that in the Audi I always deliberately took from a slight angle. i guess i am going to have to not in future.

The dreaded Lane Assist.

I've not had a VAG car with it so can't be specific, but it is usually easy to turn off, and probably there is a setting somewhere which enables the default to be off rather than on.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » May 21st, 2021, 10:50 pm

staffordian wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:It also takes over and corrects the steering if it thinks i am not driving in the middle of the road (single carriageway), that on the two occasions it has happened I am finding off-putting: there is a particular stretch of the by-pass that in the Audi I always deliberately took from a slight angle. i guess i am going to have to not in future.

The dreaded Lane Assist.

I've not had a VAG car with it so can't be specific, but it is usually easy to turn off, and probably there is a setting somewhere which enables the default to be off rather than on.

The first time I came across lane assist was a couple of years ago on a new lease car (Kia Niro). I took it out for a spin without reading the manual and wondered what the hell was happening as it tried to wrestle the wheel out of my hands (I exaggerate of course). On this car (and my current Ioniq) you can switch the system off.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » May 21st, 2021, 10:51 pm

staffordian wrote:

The dreaded Lane Assist.

I might find it useful. Years ago whilst driving in France, early morning and i was tired. Overhanging trees made a stretch of road darker. Suddenly I realised I'd closed my eyes.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » May 21st, 2021, 10:54 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
staffordian wrote:

The dreaded Lane Assist.

I might find it useful. Years ago whilst driving in France, early morning and i was tired. Overhanging trees made a stretch of road darker. Suddenly I realised I'd closed my eyes.

Mine is controlled by an easily accessible dashboard switch. It's off by default, but for the scenario you describe, or maybe any longish stretch on an A road or motorway, it's a split second to switch it on. Maybe not when you realise you're dozing, but through habit on a particular type of road?

Edited to add: I suspect most work in the same way, but if you need to cross a white line to change lane, then a flick of the indicator stalk disables it for a few seconds.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » May 24th, 2021, 12:08 pm

According to the help. info, lane assist is for when i unintentionally veer.

Car doesn't seem to know whether intentional or not.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 24th, 2021, 6:28 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
Lo and behold, it is warning light that comes on when any other warning light comes on.

The did make me laugh - presumably a backup in case a warning light fails, or to tell the MOT tester you have removed a bulb (in which case you remove 2!)

brightncheerful wrote:According to the help. info, lane assist is for when i unintentionally veer.

Car doesn't seem to know whether intentional or not.

I've seen ones which activate if you change lanes without indicating, but the indicator stops it kicking in. I have a friend works for Ford who first discovered this feature on a test car when he tried to slightly straight line a mountain road and the car steered him back towards the verge. He was not impressed.

The marketing terms for these features is "Surprise and delight". The engineering term is "Astonish and terrify".

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”