Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Octavia battery v petrol costings

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Octavia battery v petrol costings

Postby servodude » May 29th, 2021, 10:28 am

Mike4 wrote:
Howard wrote:
servodude wrote:
Totally agree that hot air is the best.

Heated seats are good for creeping out a passenger who didn't expect you to turn it on... but they don't help visibility if your windshield has misted on the outside

-sd

Most cars have fancy rubber things called windscreen wipers which are used for mist on the outside. One could wait for global warming I suppose. ;)

I'll get my coat.

Howard

I must say, SD's comment puzzled me too. Mist on the inside is more of a problem that wipers make NO difference to in my experience.

The heated windscreen that my old Sierra Cosworth had (25 years ago!) was magic for this though, and for morning de-icing in a flash. I'm puzzled why all cars don't have heated screens nowadays.

Yeah you can use the wipers when it's misting on the outside - but depending on how the screen has been coated (as a bonus by the guy who did the last service) it can come back very quickly (so needs quick intermittent setting which seems nuts when it's not raining!)
- that said it's not something I've had happen in the UK
- but this time of year in Melbourne it's not unusual after dark (in our nearly vintage Scooby)

-sd

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » May 29th, 2021, 10:33 am

I'm in danger of becoming too enthusiastic about a BEV but our BEV performs well in directing warm air. Because it uses an electric fan heater the demister blows hot air on the inside of the windscreen within seconds of switching on. Much faster than ICE cars. It also has heated seats and a heated steering wheel. So it's the fastest car I've owned for demisting. (And years ago I had a Ford with heated windscreen).

Even better, if you have your own charger (or just plug into a 13 amp socket), without reducing the battery range, one can turn the heating on using a smartphone just before leaving the house and the car is beautifully warm ready to go.

To be absolutely honest we only got the car in March so I haven't tried this in snow. But our previous PHEV had the pre-warming feature which I used often.

regards

Howard

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 29th, 2021, 10:58 am

Mike4 wrote:The heated windscreen that my old Sierra Cosworth had (25 years ago!) was magic for this though, and for morning de-icing in a flash. I'm puzzled why all cars don't have heated screens nowadays.

That's because Ford held the patent for heated windscreens and wouldn't licence it to other manufacturers.

For years it was mainly Fords, and cars made by companies that Ford had owned such as Land Rover, Jaguar and Volvo. That changed when Ford’s patent on the technology ran out in, I believe, 2011.
http://blog.greenflag.com/2021/heated-windscreen/

Some can't abide them as they find the fine mesh of wires distracting. My mother had a Fiesta with a heated windscreen. When driving it I hardly saw the wires, but my brother found them disturbing and hated driving it.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 29th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Breelander wrote:Some can't abide them as they find the fine mesh of wires distracting. My mother had a Fiesta with a heated windscreen. When driving it I hardly saw the wires, but my brother found them disturbing and hated driving it.

Same here with my Focus. The whole screen glittered like tinsel when you were driving into the sun. Maddening.

Never mind, it did the demisting job until I needed my screen replaced. That was when some of the hundred-odd electrical connectors along the edge started to fail, and on cold mornings my windscreen looked like a badly-written barcode. :evil:

BJ

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 2nd, 2021, 10:31 am

Howard wrote:I'm in danger of becoming too enthusiastic about a BEV but our BEV performs well in directing warm air. Because it uses an electric fan heater the demister blows hot air on the inside of the windscreen within seconds of switching on. Much faster than ICE cars. It also has heated seats and a heated steering wheel. So it's the fastest car I've owned for demisting. (And years ago I had a Ford with heated windscreen).

Even better, if you have your own charger (or just plug into a 13 amp socket), without reducing the battery range, one can turn the heating on using a smartphone just before leaving the house and the car is beautifully warm ready to go.

To be absolutely honest we only got the car in March so I haven't tried this in snow. But our previous PHEV had the pre-warming feature which I used often.

regards Howard

Long ago i remember reading about a very wealthy Arab who was so rich he could flick a switch in his living room which would turn on the air con in his car in the garage so that the car was ready when he got in it. Nothing special now that tech for the masses has caught up with wealth.

--

Ime, the most efficient way to demist he front windscreen is to open the windows.

---

Our car sharing idea didn't last long,. Mrs Bnc is in the process of buying a Mini: it has a heated front windscreen and heated front seats.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 2nd, 2021, 10:56 am

brightncheerful wrote:Ime, the most efficient way to demist he front windscreen is to open the windows

That normally works at a decent rate

But not if the temperature of the glass of the windshield is under the dewpoint and it's humid outside
- that's what seriously messes with your head when you emigrate to a place it happens!

-sd

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 14th, 2021, 1:57 pm

swill453 wrote:
servodude wrote:Totally agree that hot air is the best.

Heated seats are good for creeping out a passenger who didn't expect you to turn it on... but they don't help visibility if your windshield has misted on the outside

Having heated seats was the clincher when I was looking at two otherwise pretty identical 2nd hand cars last year.

Just been through a Scottish winter and didn't feel the need to use them once...

Scott.

I love my heated seats in my Yeti, wouldn't be without them in Scotland now. Mr Abominable also has a heated front windscreen which is great for demisting and particularly for clearing frost and ice. Just turn it on, wait a couple of minutes and run the wipers - goodbye frost and ice.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 14th, 2021, 2:12 pm

daveh wrote:I love my heated seats in my Yeti, wouldn't be without them in Scotland now. Mr Abominable also has a heated front windscreen which is great for demisting and particularly for clearing frost and ice. Just turn it on, wait a couple of minutes and run the wipers - goodbye frost and ice.

Even better I can remotely turn on the heating (or air conditioning) of my Renault Zoe from the comfort of my bed so the car is nicely warm (or cool) before I even open the car door.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 14th, 2021, 2:28 pm

AF62 wrote:
daveh wrote:I love my heated seats in my Yeti, wouldn't be without them in Scotland now. Mr Abominable also has a heated front windscreen which is great for demisting and particularly for clearing frost and ice. Just turn it on, wait a couple of minutes and run the wipers - goodbye frost and ice.

Even better I can remotely turn on the heating (or air conditioning) of my Renault Zoe from the comfort of my bed so the car is nicely warm (or cool) before I even open the car door.

I know, a friend has a Volvo PHEV diesel (replacing an audi PHEV petrol car). Swears by it and saves range by warming it up from his mobile before setting off.

I think I'll end up replacing the Yeti with either a PHEV or BEV vehicle. Most of my journeys are short (15miles each way to work) so would be ideal for either (except that, unless the weather is really foul or I need to transport too much, I now do the journey by e-bike). I do the occasional longer journey and I need some snow and some minor off-road performance (rough tracks, farm tracks, some muddy ground, nothing serious) and I need to carry ski equipment/bikes. So something not too small with decent ground clearance and 4x4. I'll probably keep the Yeti a while yet. Its just had its second MOT and has only done 41K miles. The guy who drives the cars around at the Skoda garage tells me the Yeti is the best car they ever made, much better than any of their present models (I'm not sure he's supposed to say things like that to customers :D ). Was looking at the BEV SUV they sell when I was waiting for them to do the MOT repair, looks nice but its £37k!!!

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”