Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mini Clubman Automatic All4

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Mini Clubman Automatic All4

Postby brightncheerful » June 2nd, 2021, 10:46 am

Mrs Bnc has asked me to start this thread in the hope of some driving tips, etc.

She in the process of getting a second hand - 2 previous owners, first reg 2018, 3500 miles on the clock - Mini John Cooper Works All4 Clubman Automatic, 1998 cc engine. Boot can accommodate the dog crate and ramp to enable dog to climb up and down..

Never having driven an automatic before, her test drive around the dealership car park for a couple of minutes went well.

Never having driven a 4x4 before, any driving tips welcome.

tia
Bnc pp Mrs Bnc

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mini Clubman Automatic All4

Postby staffordian » June 2nd, 2021, 11:29 am

Looks like an interesting choice.

Reviews suggest that it is a little pricey to run, being a "hot hatch", but it seems well equipped with toys and gadgets.

Think it's an eight speed auto, which suggests to me it's a DSG which is basically a manual gearbox with a dual clutch system which the car rather than the driver operates.

Can't offer any practical advice but will watch for informed replies as I've been tempted to buy an automatic myself, but never actually taken the plunge.

The All4 option is clever, redistributing drive between front and rear wheels as required, and at speed becoming a simple front wheel drive. Probably good for road holding, but at normal speeds, and unless the car is being chucked enthusiastically around country lanes, I wonder if the added complexification is worthwhile.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » June 2nd, 2021, 12:10 pm

2018 and already two previous owners?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 2nd, 2021, 12:31 pm

bluedonkey wrote:2018 and already two previous owners?

That is what struck me. What is wrong with it?

As for 4 X 4 and automatic, that is what I have on my Q5 and an easier car to drive is difficult to imagine. Mine clings to the road and if you try automatic I doubt that anyone would want to revert to a manual. Two pedals obviously, go and stop. It is as simple as that. My permanent four wheel drive is expensive on fuel but I have never had any problems with it, although I have to replace all four tyres at the same time as they wear pretty much together. Usually it is the two drive wheels that go first. The mini seems to be the same as my vehicle, that it distributes power as required to each of the wheels. Useful in snow.

The new Q5 powers only the front wheels I think, unless it needs power for the rear ones as well, but I do not really know about that.

Dod

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 2nd, 2021, 12:39 pm

I have the same gearbox on my BMW. It's brilliant. Who wants to drive a manual gearboxed vehicle when you can have an automatic?

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » June 2nd, 2021, 12:45 pm

Dod101 wrote:

Maybe nothing, but it could just be an odd combination of a practical and safe (auto and 4x4) setup with the hot John Cooper Works "driver's engine". I'd imagine that the extra weight and function of the 4wd system would detract from the chassis driveability - arguably the same regarding the non-manual gearbox. Perhaps 2 owners have tried it and decided it's neither one thing nor other?

B

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 2nd, 2021, 1:22 pm

brightncheerful wrote: Mini John Cooper Works All4 Clubman Automatic

That explains why they're wider than the original mini :)

Is this one with the double rear doors that looks a bit like ET when you're following them?

Never having driven an automatic before, her test drive around the dealership car park for a couple of minutes went well.

Never having driven a 4x4 before, any driving tips welcome.

tia
Bnc pp Mrs Bnc

Press Auto, leave it there. Read the instructions just in case, but I'll wager on a car like this it will al be done for you.

Paul

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 2nd, 2021, 2:06 pm

BigB wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Maybe nothing, but it could just be an odd combination of a practical and safe (auto and 4x4) setup with the hot John Cooper Works "driver's engine". I'd imagine that the extra weight and function of the 4wd system would detract from the chassis driveability - arguably the same regarding the non-manual gearbox. Perhaps 2 owners have tried it and decided it's neither one thing nor other?

B

I would think you may be right otherwise it may have been owned by two little old ladies in succession; the one died and the other last her licence.

Minis of course are nothing like what they used to be. The original Mini Cooper was a great little car.

Dod

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 2nd, 2021, 2:23 pm

Dod101 wrote:Minis of course are nothing like what they used to be. The original Mini Cooper was a great little car.

Dod

Except for holding dog crates and ramps, of course :D

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » June 2nd, 2021, 5:03 pm

I've not driven a DSG auto, but one notable feature of every type of automatic I have driven is that their default speed is a few mph. On flat ground If you put it in drive and release the controls it will move. In the same situation a manual in neutral will not move and a manual in gear will stall (and not move far).

If you are a bit lax in following the correct order for shifting, applying parking brake, releasing foot brake, etc. when parking or in queues you might have a few scares, and if you don't scare easily enough a few low speed shunts.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 2nd, 2021, 7:01 pm

staffordian wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Minis of course are nothing like what they used to be. The original Mini Cooper was a great little car.

Except for holding dog crates and ramps, of course :D

And for rusted-through rear subframes, dicky HT electrics, and single-circuit brakes that could go from 100% to 0% effectiveness at any time of their choosing. :shock: My missus had two total brake failures in city traffic. But by golly, they were fun.

The old Clubman estate was also surprisingly capacious. I won a bet by taking an office desk home in the back of mine. :D

BJ

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 2nd, 2021, 7:48 pm

bungeejumper wrote:And for rusted-through rear subframes, dicky HT electrics, and single-circuit brakes that could go from 100% to 0% effectiveness at any time of their choosing. :shock: My missus had two total brake failures in city traffic. But by golly, they were fun.

BJ

Nah, that's just character; Minis are famed for it :D

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 2nd, 2021, 10:08 pm

For 99% of people driving on normal roads, you are better off paying for two sets of wheels fitted with summer and winter tyres and forget about 4WD, the sticky tyres will make far more difference than any 4wd system, the 2WD car will also be cheaper to run and repair.

The ideal would obviously be winter tyres + 4WD, but I don't think anyone needs that unless you drive to the alps every winter.

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » June 2nd, 2021, 11:31 pm

I think she should have a little longer test drive than a couple of minutes round a car park!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 3rd, 2021, 7:58 am

9873210 wrote:I've not driven a DSG auto, but one notable feature of every type of automatic I have driven is that their default speed is a few mph. On flat ground If you put it in drive and release the controls it will move. In the same situation a manual in neutral will not move and a manual in gear will stall (and not move far).

If you are a bit lax in following the correct order for shifting, applying parking brake, releasing foot brake, etc. when parking or in queues you might have a few scares, and if you don't scare easily enough a few low speed shunts.

That is true. I had a scare once, having got out of my automatic to open as gate I think, and found it moving off. It is surprisingly powerful even at a very low speed. I jumped back in and corrected the situation but leaving your automatic do not leave the engine idling (as you can do in a manual). Sitting in the vehicle say at traffic lights, switch the lever to park or keep your foot on the brake (which is why we often get red brake lights on a string of cars at traffic lights).

I must say that having 4WD I would not want to go back to front wheel only. I think winter tyres are unnecessary for most of us, even rural dwellers, in this country, if you have four wheel drive. They are also helpful in heavy rain and help stop acqua planing.

However for general driving especially in towns or built up areas they ease the hassle of driving.

Dod

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » June 3rd, 2021, 9:20 am

Dod101 wrote:Sitting in the vehicle say at traffic lights, switch the lever to park or keep your foot on the brake (which is why we often get red brake lights on a string of cars at traffic lights)

I took my test in an automatic, and I expect that you would fail if you did that. The approved procedure is to use your handbrake at traffic lights. You should never hold your foot on the brake pedal unless you are stopping very briefly. If you are first to stop at traffic lights and the next car runs into the back of you, your foot is likely to come off the brake pedal, which could result in a collision. If you put the car into park and someone runs into you, you will be facing a very expensive bill or insurance claim.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 3rd, 2021, 9:35 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Sitting in the vehicle say at traffic lights, switch the lever to park or keep your foot on the brake (which is why we often get red brake lights on a string of cars at traffic lights)

I took my test in an automatic, and I expect that you would fail if you did that. The approved procedure is to use your handbrake at traffic lights. You should never hold your foot on the brake pedal unless you are stopping very briefly. If you are first to stop at traffic lights and the next car runs into the back of you, your foot is likely to come off the brake pedal, which could result in a collision. If you put the car into park and someone runs into you, you will be facing a very expensive bill or insurance claim.

I did not know that. No one told me. Anyway I bet very very few people use their handbrake at traffic lights. Mine is a little button to operate air brakes and is easy and very effective but it all takes time. Maybe try it next time if I remember.

However if a car runs into the back of me irrespective of where my foot might be there will be a collision anyway. Why if I put my car into park would I face any bigger a bill than otherwise?

Dod

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » June 3rd, 2021, 9:40 am

Lanark wrote:For 99% of people driving on normal roads, you are better off paying for two sets of wheels fitted with summer and winter tyres and forget about 4WD, the sticky tyres will make far more difference than any 4wd system, the 2WD car will also be cheaper to run and repair.

The ideal would obviously be winter tyres + 4WD, but I don't think anyone needs that unless you drive to the alps every winter.

I would fully echo this. We have been driving to the Alps several times a year for many years, mostly winter. We have had a large 4WD SUV and all season tyres. 800 miles on fast roads, 20 on A/B roads, then 1 up the side of a mountain. Local conditions at the time of arrival dictate entirely what level of capability is required, snow chains included.

About 5 years ago on a weekend trip with a hire car (Seat Leon with winter tyres), local conditions were such with snow on all roads, compacted to near ice in some places, that we really noticed how driveable the car was with winter tyres. The extra grip of winter tyres in certain conditions, even over all season tyres, is really noticeable for steering and for braking when already moving, and of course for getting traction to pull away in the first place.

Yes 4WD often has the advantage of drive to all wheels when pulling away, or when climbing or on uneven ground. But if it's on less than winter tyres, you may then have less control for steering/braking than you think.

We now have winter tyres for the 4WD, but would agree with the idea that for most people driving on road, winter tyres will make more difference than a 4WD system not on winter tyres.

B

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 3rd, 2021, 9:54 am

The 2 owners did concern me but the rep assured nothing untoward. I cannot remember exactly what he told us, i shall ask him again during the handover this weekend. Comes with 12 months guarantee from the dealership.

Mrs Bnc found the position of the accelerator and brake pedals much more comfortable than her previous Audi A1 (manual) pedals. She could've test driven for longer than a couple,e of minutes around the car park - gone on the main road - had she not wanted someone to accompany her. The rep couldn't because of covid requirements and i couldn't because i was looking after puppy. Since getting my Octavia. (which is DSG; also my previous Audi A1 was DSG and the Audi A3 I'd had before that was the first time for Audi DSG, Mrs Bnc has been observing closely how I've driven and asking questions so she'd got the hang of it in theory.

We told the rep we'd would like all weather tyres fitted but he suggested unnecessary. I think we shall go to another branch of the dealership for servicing and get them to change the tyres in due course, if Mrs BnC would like. So far, apart from the car's spec which I reckon puts Mrs Bnc's image into 'girl racer' category and will have all the teenage boy racers in the area swooning, the main shock to the system has been the motor insurance premium which catapults into a higher grouping, 21 i think, as distinct from 18.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » June 3rd, 2021, 10:06 am

Perhaps I'm too cynical, but I would not take any notice of what a used car salesperson tells me.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”