Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Lights and MOTs

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Lights and MOTs

Postby XFool » July 12th, 2021, 3:38 pm

AF62 wrote:
XFool wrote:
AF62 wrote:The trouble with fog is you get the dimwits who have turned the rear fog light on, but then are too lazy to turn it off when they get someone behind them.

Not sure I follow that. The idea of the rear fog light is to warn people you are in front, during fog. It shouldn't bother people that it is on, unless they are driving too close behind you - in fog! In which case, possibly you need to look to your own driving rather than that of the person in front.

Um, no.

The rear fog light is to show the presence of cars approaching from behind. Once someone is actually following then that function is no longer required, and even if you are following with far more than an adequate gap then the bright fog light is extremely distracting.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/fog.html

AF62 wrote:And that is before you get to the dimwits who use them in a light mist, in town, or can't be bothered to turn them on and off as required when fog is patchy.

That, of course, is another matter.

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » July 12th, 2021, 5:20 pm

Such problems as this prompts me to wonder what is the point of an annual test for the vehicle if there isn't one for the weakest component , the driver.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 12th, 2021, 5:24 pm

XFool wrote:
AF62 wrote:
XFool wrote:Not sure I follow that. The idea of the rear fog light is to warn people you are in front, during fog. It shouldn't bother people that it is on, unless they are driving too close behind you - in fog! In which case, possibly you need to look to your own driving rather than that of the person in front.

Um, no.

The rear fog light is to show the presence of cars approaching from behind. Once someone is actually following then that function is no longer required, and even if you are following with far more than an adequate gap then the bright fog light is extremely distracting.

I take from that you think you should keep your fog light on if someone is following you at a safe distance, irrespective that it is dazzling them?

Why? Is it really that much of an effort to turn it off? Are you not paying attention to your surroundings and don't know someone is behind you? Are you worried that you will forget to turn it back on if they turn off? Do you simply not give a damn?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 12th, 2021, 5:39 pm

AF62 wrote:
XFool wrote:
AF62 wrote:Um, no.

I take from that you think you should keep your fog light on if someone is following you at a safe distance, irrespective that it is dazzling them?

If it is on, there is a fog - it's a fog light. It is as bright as it needs to be for safety in a fog. In a fog I would expect (I should be so lucky!) any sensible driver to be driving further back than they should be driving with no fog. If they are driving far enough back in a fog they can see my fog lamp but it should not be dazzling them. If it is dazzling them, in a fog, that suggests to me they are NOT driving as far back as they should be driving, in a fog.

If what you are trying to claim were true, then rear fog lights would be banned. They would be considered a safety hazard.

AF62 wrote:Why? Is it really that much of an effort to turn it off? Are you not paying attention to your surroundings and don't know someone is behind you? Are you worried that you will forget to turn it back on if they turn off? Do you simply not give a damn?

Why do you think the Highway Code does not recommend what you are demanding?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 12th, 2021, 6:12 pm

XFool wrote:
AF62 wrote:

If it is on, there is a fog - it's a fog light. It is as bright as it needs to be for safety in a fog. In a fog I would expect (I should be so lucky!) any sensible driver to be driving further back than they should be driving with no fog. If they are driving far enough back in a fog they can see my fog lamp but it should not be dazzling them. If it is dazzling them, in a fog, that suggests to me they are NOT driving as far back as they should be driving, in a fog.

If what you are trying to claim were true, then rear fog lights would be banned. They would be considered a safety hazard.

Dazzling doesn't have to mean a safety hazard, it just means damn annoying.

And if you are following a car with their fog lights on at a safe distance are you really suggesting you don't find the brightness annoying.

AF62 wrote:Why? Is it really that much of an effort to turn it off? Are you not paying attention to your surroundings and don't know someone is behind you? Are you worried that you will forget to turn it back on if they turn off? Do you simply not give a damn?

Why do you think the Highway Code does not recommend what you are demanding?[/quote]

Demanding, no. Just suggesting some courtesy.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”