Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Flying around the UK.

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Flying around the UK.

Postby csearle » August 6th, 2021, 10:25 pm

Snorvey wrote:So where are you landing?

We landed at Leeds-East, Dundee, Kirkwall, Oban, Llanbedr, Haverfordwest, Swansea, Newquay, then back to Rochester. We overflew the Isle of Man and the Scilly Isles. C.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 6th, 2021, 10:30 pm

Midsmartin wrote:I don't want to spoil the party (it looks an enjoyable trip!), but I wonder if you ever worry about your greenhouse gas emissions?
A quick google and rough sums says your plane uses something of the order of twice as much fuel per mile as our Ford Fiesta (or a bit more?) - which actually doesn't seem too bad. Except that you can do a lot more miles in an hour, making it much easier to emit a lot of CO2. I may have my back-of-envelope sums wrong, but I reckon you emit something of the order of 100kg/hour, whereas our car produces maybe 10-15kg per hour.
On the other hand, that means your plane does about the same CO2/mile as our camper van, so I should not feel too smug. I do often feel guilty driving that! Though we cover very few miles with it annually.
To be perfectly honest I don't worry. I'm just thinking of our return trip from Cornwall today. 2h14m from Newquay to Rochester. In a car we would have been motoring for well over six hours. I think it is all swings and roundabouts. If everyone else stops then I'll think about it. C.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 6th, 2021, 10:33 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:What are the map dots? Airfields/beacons? Other?
You may be flying over my house, difficult to tell. I'm about 15 miles NNW of RAF Odiham (beware the Chinooks...)
They are places that are reporting weather (usually airfields). We managed not to hit anyone at all. :) C.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 6th, 2021, 10:35 pm

swill453 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Why are you making that little loop over and around what looks like Oban?

Looks like a circuit of the Isle of Mull.

Scott.
My son wanted to show me where he landed once. We looked at Glenforsa and Tobermory before landing at Oban. C

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 6th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Anyway I'm back at home safely and have had the most brilliantly fantastic time bonding with my boys during this round trip. Kent to Orkney to West Scotland to the Scilly Isles and back to Kent. Overview obtained. About 10 hours logged. I shall remember this trip all my life. I'll post some pictures here once I've uploaded them. Thanks for the interest.

Chris

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 7th, 2021, 12:51 pm

csearle wrote:Anyway I'm back at home safely and have had the most brilliantly fantastic time bonding with my boys during this round trip. Kent to Orkney to West Scotland to the Scilly Isles and back to Kent. Overview obtained. About 10 hours logged. I shall remember this trip all my life. I'll post some pictures here once I've uploaded them. Thanks for the interest.

Chris

What a fantastic trip to have done...I'm jealous though I have no desire to go up in a small plane! (I used to paraglide but that felt safer somehow!)

John

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”