Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

National Mileage Register

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

National Mileage Register

Postby brightncheerful » July 27th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Mrs Bnc got a letter from the NMR = https://www.mileage.org.uk - asking her to confirm the mileage on the car she'd sold recently.

Never having heard of the NMR I was about to send it to the dealer she'd sold the car to deal with when I went on line to check. As the NMR says "A company within the motor trade will have taken in, or are about to take in, a vehicle which you have previously been a registered keeper of. Dealers are at risk of prosecution under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading regulations of 2008 if they have not taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that the mileage of any used vehicle they sell is accurate. We act on behalf of our customers, requesting information from the previous keepers of the vehicle in an attempt to verify the mileage shown. This check helps to protect both the purchaser and the retailer of the vehicle."

Having entered the NMR reference, the question asked ranged from when and from whom did she buy the car and how many miles had it to when and to whom did she sell it and how many miles had it done. Also questions about whether the odometer had been changed and if so when and by whom.

As Mrs Bnc said, someone is getting a bargain Audi A1 with 6312 miles on the clock since new in 2015. Not necessarily i said: some of the parts to be replaced, perishable or mileage whichever came first, are due for renewal this year. Mrs Bnc was fond of her A1 and was wishing she hadn't sold it, whilst forgetting why we did. Was .. until last week when after i spent several hours cleaning, polishing and waxing the JCW Mini Clubman she has now and told her that i think it has more substance as a car than had the Audi A1.

(Mrs Bnc wondered why they could verify the mileage from the MoT history. Perhaps I suggested because the Mot wouldn't know if the odometer or its reading had been changed.)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: National Mileage Register

Postby bungeejumper » July 27th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Judging by the sub-links on the website, it looks as though NMR is a division of the HPI history checking system, and AFAIK that's kosher. A lot of the trade won't touch a used car unless it's had HPI clearance (or similar). I had to sign some kind of a mileage statement the last time I traded a car in. It was no big deal.

Unlike the time when my wife's three year old car was written off by somebody's Volvo estate, which had twisted its bodyshell so badly that the driver's door wouldn't open. :shock: Some six months after the insurance case had been settled, she received a letter from the DVLA asking about the history of the trashed car because somebody wanted to put it back on the road. I can't imagine why they were asking about the mileage, but they were. The least of the purchaser's problems, I'd have thought?

BJ

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » July 27th, 2021, 3:26 pm

I had some dealings with them last year after I disposed of my late father in laws car which had a tiny mileage for its age. Looks like it flags up something in HPI fraud dept. and they make an effort to confirm the miles before the car continues on in the trade.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 27th, 2021, 5:02 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Audi A1 with 6312 miles on the clock since new in 2015

Someone buying a used car with that sort of mileage is going to incredibly suspicious, after all there are not many people who would buy an Audi A1 to only drive 20 miles a week. Hence why the dealer is wanting to cover themselves with some evidence it is correct.

brightncheerful wrote:As Mrs Bnc said, someone is getting a bargain

Frankly I would run in the opposite direction rather than buy a car that had lived that sort of life. At 20 miles a week did the engine ever get warm in the six years it was owned?

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » July 27th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Some people have a funny idea of what's Kosher. A third parties desire for information does not in general impose any dutyto provide it. Notice the complete lack of any FAQ similar to "Are you under any obligation to assist this nosy parker?"

Has the check cleared? If yes circular file the letter. If no wait till the check clears and circular file the letter.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » July 28th, 2021, 8:53 am

Frankly I would run in the opposite direction rather than buy a car that had lived that sort of life. At 20 miles a week did the engine ever get warm in the six years it was owned?

Your comment is based on the average mpw. Mrs BnC often drove for long periods of time for the car to get warm. It's just that there were long periods of time when she didn't drive it at all.

Over the same period of time (circa 6 years) I clocked up just over 18,000 miles on my Audi A1 (also since sold) which equates to circa 58 miles a week.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 28th, 2021, 10:55 am

That is the unknown about low mileage cars, did they do a 2 mile commute each day, go to the golf club, supermarket, or post office once a week, or sit in a garage and get a good run once a fortnight,

The f-i-l's Corolla was more of the former, used quite a bit initially but just gone the 6 miles to Lidl and back for the last 5 years. At 13 or so years old it still had under 30k on the clock serviced on mileage, and pretty much left in the garage for the last 12 months he owned it. We serviced it, replaced the battery, cambelt change due to it never having been done(!), then decided a 1.3 Auto 3 door really wasn't for us, so sold it for not much more than we'd spent. The new owner needed a new exhaust within 3 months as the original had rotted from the inside out.

The Z4 was the latter, a weekend toy that got a good run every week or 2 and serviced on years rather than miles. Just needed regular servicing, plus a few gaiters that are not unusual on a 10-15 year old car.

The Avensis was 3.5 years old, 70,000 miles, and has needed fuel and tyres in the 15k we've done in the last 12 months

Paul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 28th, 2021, 6:01 pm

brightncheerful wrote:

Your comment is based on the average mpw. Mrs BnC often drove for long periods of time for the car to get warm. It's just that there were long periods of time when she didn't drive it at all.

Sorry but that doesn’t seem much better!

I have never understood the desire for very low mileage cars. Sure not buying something which has been to the moon and back, but very low mileage cars… there is always a question about their use and with some (not suggesting yours) with servicing. Some people doing a very low mileage stick to the mileage for when services are due, rather than time.

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » July 28th, 2021, 6:54 pm

DrFfybes wrote:That is the unknown about low mileage cars, did they do a 2 mile commute each day, go to the golf club, supermarket, or post office once a week, or sit in a garage and get a good run once a fortnight,

There's the same issue with high mileage cars. Did it do an Exeter-Carlisle round trip every Sunday or spend nine-to-five on the South Circular every day?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 28th, 2021, 7:25 pm

I once bought a low-miler, seven years old with 14K on the clock, and it was the biggest pile of disasters I've ever owned. To be precise, I bought it from my parents, who had bought it from a little old lady who drove it to church and occasionally to the bingo at the proverbial 25 miles per hour. Usual story. And yadda yadda. :)

Except that, in this case, the story turned out to be true. The first thing I noticed was that the car wouldn't go over 65 mph, and if I pushed it higher the engine would vibrate nastily. Not wanting to return the dog to my parents (hmmmm, tricky), I asked the local main dealer for his ideas?

"The thing is," he told me, "this car's never been properly run in. The pistons have never been at full stretch in the cylinders, and the tops of the bores have never been polished out. There's probably a step inside those bores, and you wouldn't want to break your piston rings, so take it easy and introduce the engine to higher speeds in gentle instalments, and back off any time the vibration starts to happen."

I did, and within a couple of weeks I had got it happy at 70, and then 75, and then.....

Bowling down the outside lane of the M4, my eye was caught by the temp gauge moving up to boil. I slammed the car over onto the hard shoulder, and made it just as the engine seized solid. A lump of pre-Cambrian sediment had dislodged itself from the bottom of god knows wherever it had been slumbering for the last seven years, and it had stopped the pump, and the coolant had ruptured a hose, and there was now a wet patch on the M4 and a very dry engine. Needed a full top-end rebuild, and the car was never the same again.

And then the automatic gearbox died. Crud and iron filings, apparently. In a 20K car. :roll: Should have been drained and refilled, but hadn't been. It would have cost me more for a new box than the whole car had cost me. So I asked a local garage to source me an engine/transmission lump from a scrappy, and sold the car as soon as it was clear it was okay.

By this time the car had done 30K, and the engine and gearbox had done probably 60K. And were all the better for it, :lol:

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”