Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Sat Nav speed vs speedo

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: Sat Nav speed vs speedo

Postby MonsterMork » July 31st, 2021, 10:28 am

jfgw wrote:
Was the conversation overheard incorrectly? Was the driver actually relying upon the sat nav to display the speed limit rather than the speed?

Julian F. G. W.

I suspect this may indeed be the correct answer. The sat nav fitted to my BMW motorcycle displayed a speed limit that matched the actual road signs barely half the time, and this despite me updating it religiously to keep up with road works and changed speeds etc.

MM

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sat Nav speed vs speedo

Postby AF62 » August 1st, 2021, 8:17 am

jackdaww wrote:also what is a GPS speedo ?

In one of my cars, as well as the physical speedo with needle in the driver’s dashboard, I can also display either that speedo speed on the central information screen that displays maps, music, etc. or I can display the GPS speed from the cars sat nav.

I had to ‘tweak’ the system software in the car to be able to do that (as well as being able to make various other changes such as removing the start up warning of “don’t use this whilst driving”, etc). Although any car with a sat nav will have a GPS speed, I guess manufacturers are not keen on people using it and then complaining if it is wrong.

MonsterMork wrote:
jfgw wrote:
Was the conversation overheard incorrectly? Was the driver actually relying upon the sat nav to display the speed limit rather than the speed?

Julian F. G. W.

I suspect this may indeed be the correct answer. The sat nav fitted to my BMW motorcycle displayed a speed limit that matched the actual road signs barely half the time, and this despite me updating it religiously to keep up with road works and changed speeds etc.

MM

I completely agree this is the likely answer.

What is even more amusing is if you drive a car with a built in sat nav that displays the speed limit on the dashboard but use Google Maps or TomTom through Android Auto / Apple CarPlay to display the route, which also shows the speed limit. And then the car and the map don’t agree with each other about what the speed limit is!

Then you have the newer cars which have a camera that reads the speed limit signs and combines that with the information in its database to try and make sure the information displayed is correct. The other car I have has this system and it is correct the vast majority of the time, but I still wouldn’t rely on it.

Both cars allow you to set a warning if you exceed what it thinks the speed limit is, so if someone is relying on that they could be caught out, and although both have speed limiters you can manually set, the car with the camera will flash up on the dashboard if it sees that you have entered a lower speed limit zone and offers to reduce the speed setting in the limiter. Again if the limit dropped without the camera seeing it then the driver could be caught out if they drive ‘dogem’ style with their foot on the floor.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”